Panda Security 2015 solutions released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LagerX, Aug 13, 2014.

1. greyowl

greyowl Registered Member

Thank you for the information about Bitdefender free.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've heard it's buggy.

3. ufakai75

ufakai75 Registered Member

Try it at Filehippo, works great for my machine. Some find it too boring because it is fully automated, no settings, no conf. But it is an excellent A/V. No infections for nearly 2 yrs.:)

4. ufakai75

By the way...we are proud and grateful for your service.:D:)

5. greyowl

Does anyone know the link for the offline installer for Bitdefender Free?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's stay on topic. > Panda Security 2015 solutions released

7. Daveski17

I have Panda set to not automatically quarantine anything it finds. I wouldn't use an AV I couldn't do that with. If you turn off 'Panda News' in the config you'll never see an ad or product placement pop-up from Panda. It isn't perfect, but I've never seen anything lighter and it's very configurable. It's pretty good for a freebie.

8. ufakai75

Have heard that Panda free has to be online to scan properly due to cloud. Did I hear wrong or is this a fact?o_O

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

From the Help:

"When necessary, Panda Free Antivirus consults the Collective Intelligence servers across the Internet, guaranteeing maximum detection capacity without relying on traditional update systems.

For Panda Free Antivirus to benefit from Collective Intelligence and detect the maximum number of threats, it is essential that your computer is connected to the Internet when you scan it."

However, the program updates automatically very frequently, many times a day.

10. ufakai75

Must I be online or just have a Wi-Fi connection without being online? Please bear with my lack of pc knowledge.:D

11. Daveski17

I don't work for Panda, so I'm not particularly qualified to speak on its behalf. It is a CLOUD AV though, so probably. It synchs with the cloud every thirty minutes. You can keep beleaguering this, but at the end of the day, it's very popular, highly rated, extremely light and free. I personally would prefer it to Bit Defender. Although, I'd possibly prefer a prefrontal lobotomy to running Bit Defender Free.

12. ufakai75

Not beleaguering Panda free my friend...am tryin' it out and want to know proper scanning procedures, be it online or at desktop with wifi connection but not online. And thanks for your service.

13. greyowl

With these good reports, I am considering using Panda Free.
    However, I don't like the idea of having to install a toolbar to my browser in order to get web protection.
    I think I read here that the toolbar can be removed, but the web protection will continue to work. Is this true?
    If you remove the toolbar, do you lose any other features?
    Thanks for the help.

14. ufakai75

Ask LagerX

15. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

u can remove the toolbar. The webprotection is still there u lose nothing.

16. Daveski17

I first used Panda Cloud on its initial release but changed to MSE for a few years. I'm not sure of its efficacy in scanning when not connected to the cloud. It's not really an important issue for me though. It was first released and promoted as a predominantly cloud based AV, which is almost certainly why it is so light. If you want my advice, disable its default automatic quarantining of anything it finds in a scan. I'd prefer it to ask first.

process monitor.jpg

The Process Monitor occasionally causes momentary Blue Screens for some. This is a known bug and they (Panda Forums) recommend disabling the Process Monitor if it happens. It cured the problem for me on Vista. Although I've not encountered the problem on Win 7 x64. It can be easily disabled/enabled as you can see.

17. Robin A.

Sometimes Panda produces two different and contradictory "opinions". For example, I uncompress a ZIP and Panda detects a threat and produces a notification with two options, "Neutralize" and "Exclude". I select "Exclude" and scan the same file from the context menu. Panda reports that it´s clean.

18. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Yes you can remove the toolbar but it will not remove web protection :) It's bit pity that one can not install web protection without toolbar. But it serves some "install-get paid" purpose I suppose.

19. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Does Automatic USB drives vaccination alter the way USB drives work when inserted?

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Correction: it disables the AutoRun file.

This from the Panda website...

http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/

Vaccine for USB devices: This is a ‘vaccine' for removable USB devices, preventing the AutoRun file from becoming a source of infection. The tool disables this file so it cannot be read, modified or replaced by malicious code.

This is a very useful tool as there is no simple way of disabling the AutoRun feature in Windows. This provides users with a simple way of disabling this feature, offering a high degree of protection against infections from removable drives and devices.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  22. Robin A.

It´s not possible to assign or change a label to an external USB disk that has been "vaccinated". It appears in Windows Explorer as "Local disk (X: )".

However, a label that was assigned before the disk was vaccinated appears in Windows Disk Manager and also in WinPE boot media.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Is Panda Free still showing those dreaded massive popups? Can they be disabled in settings? They are the only reason why I don't want to use Panda anymore. There is a setting to disable news popup, but what does that disable exactly?

24. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Yes, there is a setting to disable Panda news and it disables all pop-up notification ads from Panda. I haven't seen a single ad since I disabled Panda news.

25. Robin A.

I´m using Panda AV Free and haven´t seen that option. Could you explain where is it?. In any case, I only see a small nag screen once per day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.