Panda Security 2015 solutions released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LagerX, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

2. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

3. Pirate_fin

Pirate_fin Guest

Panda is really good free av, but it doesn't update automatically to newest version. My brother asked me to check his laptop and it had version 2.3.0 (it was released in october 2013) and i had to manually update it.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

From what I've been told by the Panda mods on their own forum, eventually you should be given a choice to update Panda Free to the newest version.

5. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

ohh that's very bad because the people I would install it for know nothing about computers so that leaves them with an ancient AV by let's say 6 months from the time I fix their PC. I hope they get this sorted

6. Daveski17

I was informed an auto-update will be released soon.

7. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I did not know this, thanks, I'll pass it on..

8. Daveski17

9. Pirate_fin

Pirate_fin Guest

They keep saying that it will automatically update, but for me or anyone i know it never works.

I will keep using panda and update it manually when new versions come out.

10. Daveski17

Oh OK. Do you totally uninstall the old version and reinstall the new one?

11. Pirate_fin

Pirate_fin Guest

I just start the installer of new version and it removes old version automatically. It's easier that way and if problems appear then i perform clean install.

12. Daveski17

OK thanks. :thumb:

13. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I've done some more testing with Panda Free AV and I'd say it's quite decent.

It has option to install toolbar, but with that, you will also get URL scanning done by "Panda Security URL filtering" that scans every page you visit. Adds extra layer of phishing/web malware/exploits protection.
    User can uninstall toolbar stuff but keep the web scanning :)

Also, seems like turning off Panda News really turns off all popups and I hope it stays this way. User should have option to disable it if he/she is not interested in buying paid product.

When it comes to free AV choice, I'm recommending Panda :) No renewal, no nag screens. Just solid protection! + great performance.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

For some reason Panda Cloud isn't as light as it should be (based on vendor claims). And I also hate the URL scanning component which is as dumb as technically possible. If they won't incorporate it properly in next major release it's not gonna be good. I don't get it why they have URL Monitor module and then not use i for this task. Seems very illogical.

15. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

What do you exactly mean about the URL monitor? Imo it's quite OK. It seems to be some sort of driver added to network adapter:
    http://i.snag.gy/Wb3WG.jpg
    That's why 15.1 had this in changelog
    • Performance improvements in the network interceptor.

I don't like toolbars/that kind of stuff (extensions) for scanning at all. They are morally old and usually don't work.
    I find it fairly light in terms of every day use. Startup seems to hammer HDD a bit (seen from W8.1 task manager) but I think it's like that with most of the AVs.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The URL Monitor does NOTHING except lists the accessed URL's. Pointless feature if it doesn't block malicious ones. Instead they rely on a 3rd party component that comes bundled with a toolbar. Kinda stupid...

17. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

You're quite not right here. Yes that URL monitor embedded to Process Monitor does nothing and both of them are useless. However, when you select the first option in installer, it will install driver that actually scans and blocks URLs (be it exploit/malware etc). The bad thing is that it comes with toolbar, but that can be removed without sacrificing protection.
    You can see it in action here https://youtu.be/3mJT9GBlpWA?t=404

What I don't like about this URL/web scanner is that sometimes when it does not find the website or you wrote it wrong, it redirects to Yahoo search (with the page in search) ...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  18. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Any idea about the safe browsing feature in pro version compared to url filter in free version ? I like it because its integrated into the product. Panda free would be really great if it had the safe browsing feature.
    366738-panda-antivirus-pro-2015-safe-browsing.jpg

19. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I'm not quite sure. I think it serves the same purpose as web filter (my posted image) but it's nicely integrated into UI.

I suppose process monitor is more likely meant to track malware (where it came etc) to provide more information to cloud. I don't see it's benefits under any help file in any case (other than warning about suspicious processes which I find kinda old).

20. greyowl

greyowl Registered Member

I have a old Dell laptop with a 1.6 MHz processor and 1.5 GB RAM an currently using Avast Free which runs fine. I previously used Avira Free but I find Avast is lighter and doesn't slow downloads or surfing.

I am interested in Panda Free, but wondering if it would be heavy on my system or if it would be even lighter than Avast.

Since it is cloud based, is it as safe as other AVs.

21. Daveski17

When my old laptop ran Vista (1.6 MHz, 1 GB RAM) Avast was OK but sometimes problematical. I found Panda lighter and simpler to use. Although that laptop now runs Linux I still use Panda Free on Win 7. I've never known a lighter AV than Panda. It has a very good detection rate.

22. greyowl

Thank you for your experience which is helpful.

23. Daveski17

You're welcome.

24. greyowl

25. ufakai75

ufakai75 Registered Member

Bitdefender free is even lighter and detects just as well as Panda free.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.