Panda Free Antivirus 18.0 Free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BMW325I, Nov 11, 2016.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just visited the US Panda site, and they're still offering yearly subscrtions to IS, Global, and Gold Protection. Panda Gold Protection is only available as a yearly subscription.

The 6 month trial is only for Panda IS v16. If you upgrade to the current version it changes to 30 days. I had the exact same experience as you. It's clear that Panda has made it this way to encourage people to become paid users rather than using a trial for an extended period of time.

However, there is a 6 month trial of Panda Global Protection v16, which is what I'm using now, and after installing it, it automaitcally updates to v17.01. As far as I know Panda has not released v18 0f Global Protection or Internet Security yet.

2. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Roger, correct. I installed the 6 month trial, and it was v17 (2016). According to Panda's forums, they're no longer updating IS, AV Pro or Global to v18, just the free and monthly sub licenses. They even offered up a refund to anyone who felt screwed over.

Honestly, that's enough for me to avoid them, which is sad, because for the few hours I had it installed, I really liked what I saw. I had planned on buying a (yearly) license even before the trial ran out, but there's no way in hell I'm paying monthly for it.

3. roger_m

That's a shame. I find it very misleading that they still are promoting and selling licenses to IS/Global/Total Protection on their website, rather than just promoting Panda Protection Service.

For now, I've still got 125 days remaining on my trial of Global Protection. You can install Global Protection after uninstalling IS and get the full 6 months trial period. When it expires, I was going to buy a license, as obviously I didn't know it had been discontinued. Maybe I will still buy a license, I'm not quite sure yet. The problem I've got, is that a few months ago I tested over 60 antiviruses, and Panda was the one that best suited my needs. Sure, there are other antiviruses which came very close. But they all had some limitiations, which made Panada stand out.

4. entropism

Honestly I've been anti-panda for so long, just from a bad experience 10+ years ago. I finally gave in to install it yesterday and loved it, but man, that product model just doesn't work for me.

At this point, I'm thinking about Avira (which I had before), F-Secure (I beta for them, quite nice but no options), and maybe Panda free, but... Who knows?
    I absolutely LOVE Webroot, but it doesn't scan email attachments. Normally I wouldnt care as I use webmail, but my wife uses outlook for work, and there's no way in hell I risk malware being sent out to her network.

5. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Wow that's really idiotic, I will never ever buy a Panda licence again.

6. entropism

7. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

May I know how much a year of subscription cost before? Perhaps if you bought a year using the new monthly pricing you could get a discount? Plus, it's for unlimited devices (mobile and PC).

8. wert33

wert33 Registered Member

Panda forum a few weeks ago. A new is Version comes later this year

9. roger_m

That's good news. Would you be able to find a link to the post? I just had a brief look at their forum and couldn't find anything.

10. entropism

On Ebay you can get a yearly license for $12 or so. Nobody pays what the websites show (or at least they shouldn't).

11. Pirate_fin

Pirate_fin Guest

12. Eagle three

Eagle three Registered Member

I didn't know about that but the automatic upgrade option suddenly appeared on screen this morning. Took about 5 minutes and went smoothly. I just don't understand why this could not have been done soon after version 18.0.1 was first published.

13. ance

Will older versions (15,16,17) get the automatic upgrade as well? I really can't believe it. :thumb:

14. Eagle three

Should do, as I'd had version 16 for about a year. This was announced as a 'controlled upgrade' on May 15th but I never got mine until yesterday, so if you haven't been offered it yet I would expect it to come soon.

15. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

16. ance

Maybe we should try it again? o_O

17. Eagle three

You mean SOME of those of you that were using this product have moved on. Obviously I'm now glad to have the latest version, which I could have installed manually anyway had I chose, but version 16 was working perfectly well. I'm sure Panda would have removed it were that not the case. After years of using the the awful paid for McAfee that often forced you to reboot after each days update, I wouldn't lightly abandon the superb non-intrusive lightweight Panda.

18. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Pretty sure that was implied. Did I have to be specific? No, EVERY single user who used Panda has moved on. Ugh.

Anyway, those of us who have moved on...too little, too late. Why a software product would not update itself is beyond me. And those who use a McAfee product, do so at their own peril.

And Bitdefender is doing a bang up job on my system.

19. ance

+1 :mad:

20. ance

You won't believe it but auto-upgrade worked finally. :D

Nice free version, however I will never ever upgrade to Pro again because of idiotic monthly subscription. :blink:

21. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

22. ance

Not fixed, maybe with next version. :(

23. VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone Registered Member

@Mops21 Thanx.
    18.11 did not auto upgrade, maybe it is too soon. That means I had to uninstall 18.11 then install the new version.
    I got 18.3 from "Downloadcrew.com" as the link you provided took me to the Pro one month free download.

BTW I noted that on Settings>Permanent protection, I cannot enable 'Scan compressed files"
    However I can on Demand scans settings.

24. roger_m

I've just switched from an extended trial of Panda Global Panda Protection to Panda Free Antivirus. Development on Panda Global Protection has stopped, and it has not received any program updates for nearly a year. I find it quite surprising that Panda still advertise and sell their old products on their website.

To get an up to date paid version of Panda, I would have had to pay a monthly subscription for Panda Protection Advanced. This is something I did not want to do.

The firewall was the only paid feature I was using, which means that switching to the free version was not much of a downgrade.

25. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well I am gonna try it on my laptop again, I will set blocking files to 10 seconds only, that should not lock WiFi and I will disable process monitor.

Thus far I am impressed, really impressed. Default settings are just right, unlikely any other AV. GUI is quirky, but it works. Forced registration requires internet, but other then it works OK.
    Performance is unbelievable, other AVs work around 20% CPU/20-40 MB/s and CPU tops at 40-50%, Panda is running at 2-3% CPU and a few kBs only, the worst top was 5% CPU/5MB/s.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.