Panda Free Antivirus 18.0 Free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BMW325I, Nov 11, 2016.

1. 031

031 Registered Member

Same thing happened to me, still stuck with version 17. Well I think they just change the gui each year and that is why they don't bother.

2. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

I think their testing methods do not emulate actual perceptible performance impact; my experience repeatedly contradicts their report.

I consistently see AVG (which they say has little performance impact) really bogs down--if not cripples, on an old machine--performance. I replace it with Panda and I don't even notice a hit. (Most recent experience being a Pentium 4 single core, 1GB RAM, PATA HDD--a machine that would highlight software performance hits.)

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have to agree about Panda and its minimal impact on a system. I've run Panda on three separate computers on two operating systems, and on the seven AV's I've used in the past, Panda has the least impact. It's like it's hardly there.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've been using Panda for just over two weeks now, and during that time it has been extremely light. However, I've also found AVG to be very light. I find most other antviruses to be too heavy for my liking.

5. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Did you get version 18 via autoupgrade in the meantime? :ouch:

6. Pirate_fin

Pirate_fin Guest

Why can't they make autopgrade to work?

I have been removing Panda Free from computers that still had version 16.0.1 installed, because it doesn't autoupgrade :(

7. roger_m

Im using an extended trial of Panda Global Protection. The installer for it was for v16, but after installing it automatically upgraded to v17. It's a shame that the free version can't do the same. As a result, I won't install it on anyone elses computer, as I don't want them being stuck with an outdated version if they don't manually download and install new versions when they are released.

8. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

9. anon

anon Registered Member

10. VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone Registered Member

11. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

I just installed the trial of Panda Antivirus Pro and it has a firewall? What gives? I thought it was just an AV

12. roger_m

All editions of Panda, other than the free version include a firewall.

13. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

oh ok, thanks

14. ance

Any changelog? Is automatic program-upgrade working finally? :ouch:

15. Stode

Stode Registered Member

always worked for me,and still is.

16. ance

Never worked for me, can you please test it @031? :(

17. roger_m

I just installed Panda Free 17, and it has not upated to v18, even when manually checking for updates.

I found this on Panda's website. How can I upgrade to the latest version of Panda.
    On my main computer I'm running a trial of Panda Global Protection. I installed version 16 and it automatically upgraded to v17. I would install the free version of Panda on customers' computers if it would automatically update. I won't install an antivirus which won't. I'm used to seeing computers running the free version of AVG from two or three years ago.

18. Daveski17

Personally, I like the fact that it doesn't auto upgrade. I've had AV's in the past bork after upgrading. At least it gives me some time to check if there are any problems before upgrading.

19. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

LOL...C'mon now. You can't be serious. Having an app not upgrade and having to constantly maintain and even know if there is an upgrade to uninstall and then install the new version? What kind of security product does that? Any app should never do this, much less a security app. Anyone who thinks this is OK deserves what they get in an app. Brutal.

Panda has been removed from every single system I had and any friends I suggested the app to. It's done now. If you can't upgrade the app automatically, then you need to figure out how to program before releasing something that may or may not protect systems.

20. Daveski17

No, seriously, I'm serious. Even if you don't upgrade Panda a nanosecond after it gets a new upgrade you're still getting the up to date signature updates on the previous version.

So I don't see the problem. It certainly isn't a real problem in actual everyday usage. Panda Free is freeware. It not upgrading automatically is just not a big deal. It's a small price to pay for an effective free AV. In fact, as I previously stated, this can even be an advantage as it can avoid any problems with the upgrade. I've had more than one glitch with auto-updating AV's which had been released prematurely.

I reckon I deserve a reliable, light, effective free AV that doesn't give me consistent problems. And, on and off, for the past eight years Panda has done this for me.

It only took minutes to upgrade. I downloaded the installer, ran it, rebooted the computer. I didn't have to uninstall the old version as the installer recognises the previous version and merely informs you that it will have to remove it for you to upgrade to the new one. You click Yes/No to achieve this. That's all. The process is relatively straightforward.

It's free, it protects my computer as good if not better than any other AV, it's light and has virtually no impact on my system, it's relatively simple, it doesn't consistently nag me, the forums are informative, did I mention that it was free?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  21. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

What about the people who want to install an AV and forget about it? What about the people that know nothing about installing or where to go to download the latest version or even know if there is a later version?

They have product updates for a reason. They don't just do it for fun. on many occasions, updates fix bugs or other issues that plague almost all software, but it's even worse when it's software that is helping protect your system, not just edit ID3 tags of MP3 files.

Bitdefender is ALSO free and updates itself and works without any nags. I can't in good conscience install Panda for a friend that doesn't know anything about software, or if there are updates, etc. Plus, I couldn't be bothered to constantly check if there is an update to software that should update like every other piece of software on the planet.

22. Daveski17

I believe that if you actually buy the product it does update. In which case I’d recommend forking out the spondoolies for the vendor version. Although, if you download a freeware AV, checking the respective forums for upgrades occasionally would seem prudent. Just by joining the forums and observing the overall progress of the AV release would help. Installing any AV and then just forgetting about it seems remarkably irresponsible to me.

The reasons for product upgrades are many and varied. Panda doesn’t have major upgrades that regularly. Downloading an installer occasionally really isn’t a biggie for me.

Fair do’s. I suggest you use/install BitDefender then. As far as I know this upgrading problem is actually a bug they just haven’t fixed yet. It really doesn’t bother me. It’s worth pointing out that my personal experiences with BitDefender have been far from positive. I’ve run other AV’s on various machines since first downloading Panda Free when it was first released, but at the end of the day, several years later I’m still using it.

23. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Let me just pop in and inform you that the update bug also exist on the Antivirus Pro version, at least the last 2 years...
    So it has nothing to do with free or not.

/E

24. Daveski17

Oh right, I thought it was only the freeware version. There have been reported BSOD's on Win 10 and disabling the Process Monitor fixes it. This may also be a long running bug because it happened when I ran Panda on Vista.

25. roger_m

The lack of auto updates to new versions, does not really worry me when it comes me using Panda. However, it's reason enough for me not to install it on other people's computers.
    I've been running Panada for two months now, and am very happy with it for the same reasons you mentioned. Actually I tested many different antivirus in the last few months, and Panda was the only one I was happy with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.