Panda Cloud Free 3.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Windows_Security, May 8, 2014.

1. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Last time I tried Panda 2.3 my UAC settings were changed from max to default. I am not sure panda cloud was behind this.

Does anyone run panda cloud with UAC (max setting)?:doubt:

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I've installed 3.0 Pro on my working computer and UAC settings were not lowered - they have stay on max.

3. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Thanks:) Do you use windows firewall or panda cloud community firewall? Which one is better? Can both be turned on?

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I use Windows 7 built-in firewall. Never tested Panda's so don't know which is better.

5. guest

guest Guest

6. guest

guest Guest

It will decrease by 0.3% in the next test anyway. The 100% tag is not much of an importance since the results are very dynamic.

EDIT: BDIS also got the 100% tag BTW. It's not exclusive to Panda.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

BD had some false positives though, and Panda did not.

8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I miss the old GUI. I really hate the new one. not that its metro but all the useless stuff that you remove makes it really blank and crappy.

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I don't mind the GUI, other than the fact that it takes like 5 seconds to open up.

10. Anyone seen Panda people on Wilders recently?

Some observations

a) When you disable AV, behavior blocking is disabled also, but behavior analysis not

b) With disabled AV, process monitor still classifies running processes as safe. Blocking option is disabled in process monitor

c) When enabling behavior blocking (option of the already disabled AV), after reboot option to block processes through process monitor is now possible (not greyed out).

d) When disabling AV, Panda starts in "ON" mode and disables AV as soon user logon is completed

e) Offers Panda Cloud Cleaner / USB stick version after infection

Suggestions

Directory exclude for Scan option, uncertain whether this also affects AV file scanner (it does not seem to affect process monitor)

Maybe better for GUI & functionality transparency to move behavioral analysis and blocking to process monitor options.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
  11. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

Had a very bad experience yesterday with it. After the install, I reboot and everything was frozen. No icons on desktop, I coudn't even open task manager. That's on windows 8.1 with last update.
    I tried a system restore to a point before the installation of Panda through the recovery console, but Panda blocked it (system restore failed because of an antivirus, that's the message I got)
    Finally, I found a way to reboot in safe mode and uninstalling Panda. :mad:

12. Amithiel

Amithiel Registered Member

Installed panda 3.0 on a clean windows 8.1 installation (all updates).
    It's fast, interface takes 2 seconds to open (i've seen a lot worse out there), scans take a while but i don't care, i don't plan to look to the scan progress all the time anyway. In general, i loved it!
    not a single freeze or slowdown. My advice for everybody: Before evaluating a software, make sure your pc is cleaned and working perfectly, otherwise you may have a nightmare experience, but don't blame them! ;)

13. guest

guest Guest

I dunno. FP rate doesn't seem to be all that important for most people. What they usually care is always about how many malware a product can catch. So when there's the "best" word entitled to an AV I just limit the coverage to this scope only. Nevertheless, it's still appreciable for Panda to have a 0% FP rate.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, things change from month to month, so there really isn't ever any consistent "best" anyway...

15. Correct, but (talking freebies here) . . .

Years ago Avira was the best freebie with Avast and AVG, we seen Avast rise and Avira fall, but end of 2013 Avira came back and Avast dropped a little. Fortinet free was a so-so AV, but over the years it entered top position. Feels a bit heavy though. Panda, despite it promise of allways up to date cloud, scored below average (compared to Avira, Avast and AVG freebies) when it came to real life protection and zero-day test. Since Panda 2.2 (while anti-exploit was introduced in 2.1), it has been steadily improving in zero-day and real life protection. Just lookup AV-Test and AV-Comparatives to see it is a top-choice, when you favour a western world freebie.

Panda 1 = mediocre at zero-days & exploits (marketing promise of the best due to cloud innovation was ridicule)
    Panda 2.0 - 2.1 = entered sub top within free AV's peers
    Panda 2.2 and higher = challenging top performers, free version often in top 3 at zero day, real life and less than 4 weeks old malware.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  16. chillstream

chillstream Registered Member

I had exactly the same problem yesterday. Shortly after installing Panda Cloud AV on a fresh Windows 8.1 Update system with all the patches applied everything just slowed down to a crawl and then completely froze up. I lost opened windows, the desktop, the taskbar, everything - only a blank blue screen remained (not BSOD, just a blue colored screen with nothing on it). Even Ctrl+Alt+Delete did nothing. But after 10 minutes or so, my PC showed some signs of life; the crashed explorer.exe reinitialized and I got a working desktop, albeit it was still very unresponsive. But that was enough for me to perform a proper reboot sequence and uninstall this AV for good. Never had anything like it happen with any other AV before, and I tried most of them (except for the various Chinese and Korean products). Goodbye Panda, hardly even knew ya.

17. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Anyway I came back to Avast. It's not the best in detection nowadays but still the most hassle-free for me.

18. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Gald I'm not having that issue. I've been using version 3 since it came out. It's working perfectly on 3 - win7 64 machines.

Ice

19. ThreeCubed

ThreeCubed Registered Member

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I'm not concerned with the faults they mention. I'm never going to have gobs of viruses to clean up. More worried about prevention and lightness.

The key to this version is they finally fixed the bug that was causing massive disk io. Now this is as light as it was meant to be.

21. Yes a PC infected with 10.000 virii is typical average Joe situation. Softpedia certainly raised the bar in real world scenario testing :argh: , Panda is doing well in AV-test/Av-comparatives zero-day/real life tests :D

22. guest

guest Guest

I doubt that they actually did any kind of test...

23. WebRoot pulled back from tests, because their score on file detection tests was below par. Maybe a result of cloud based protection mechanisms

24. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Aren't those tests performed with Internet connection?

25. Yes, difference Panda and WSA is that Panda does score well on real life tests, while WSA scored low on file detection (static) test and real life scenario (dynamic).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.