Panda Cloud AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ShyGuy, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Ouch!

2. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes we are aware of their CEO's tantrum :cautious:

3. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

As a Prevx user & reseller, that blog post by Mel Morris is embarrassing (as are the stupid comparison charts on the Prevx home page). That guy really has to go. It contrasts greatly with the knowledge & support from the guys at the "rock face" such as PrevxHelp's reply #166 in this thread.

4. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

I suppose that as he bought? Prevx he thinks.......

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I'd like to see Panda's Cloud AV continue to improve. Nothing wrong with healthy competition between companies developing 'new technology', even if one is much further ahead than the other.

pbust, keep helping users and you'll win back those fans who once relied on panda AV all those years ago. :)

6. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Saraceno

My sentiments exactly & the professional approach is always best.

7. Saraceno

Don't mean to be 'captain obvious' here, but there's always going to be new malware, and new people buying their first computer and preferring one product over the other.

So us on this forum should do our best to test out programs and make sure they're easy to use and effective for the average consumer.

I gave Panda's Cloud AV a quick on-demand test with a small number of files, and agree with others that a restore function should be available for those files which are legitimate.

panda.jpg

panda 2.jpg

Not only a restore function is needed, an 'Ok' is needed to accept for the files to be neutralized. Although the files were neutralized, if my only option is to click the 'x' close button, I thought I may have cancelled the request (to neutralize threats).
    panda 4.jpg

Otherwise, it had no problems removing the high-risk files.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Biscuit, you captured my thoughts exactly. Personally, I don’t use either the Panda or Prevx product. However, these “attack-the-competition” antics are very disheartening and, in my opinion, reflect more poorly upon the author than upon Panda. Critical reviews of anti-virus products are best done by independent organizations that have no “hidden agenda,” and should always be conducted and communicated with a professional demeanor.

Labeling the Panda product a “Silver Plated Rubber Bullet” is silly and immature, I believe; and I do feel sorry for the many fine employees at Prevx who are doing their best to produce and service a quality product.

Having made this point, let’s not sidetrack the thread on a “Panda versus Prevx” series of posts….

Saraceno, I completely agree: when companies compete, users win.

9. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes, absolutely agree with your comment and that of others here about the restore function :thumb:

There's a new feature in the Recycle Bin which we're developing for beta2 to do precisely this. The bad news is that it'll still take us a few weeks for beta2 to be ready for release.

10. webster

webster Registered Member

pbust, please consider a notification on the main UI, about contents of the recycle bin. Just found my passwordmanager in it (fp)

11. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Can you tell me which password manager it is? URL, md5, etc. will do.

12. webster

13. pbust

pbust AV Expert

14. webster

Great, thanks pbust :thumb:

15. Saraceno

pbust, without pinning you down to timeframes, how far away do you see the final version being released?

Unknown, or say, six months away? You don't have to answer, just wondering that's all. I know new products take time. :)

16. pbust

pbust AV Expert

We're working on 2 more beta versions before v1.0 release, mainly fixing bugs and adding suggested features by betatesters.

Beta2 should be out in a few weeks (3 or 4 max). We wanted to release this earlier but adding the Recycle Bin "undo" option has taken quite some design time so as to not break the simplicity philosophy of the product :p

After that it shouldn't take us more than a few months to do an additional Beta3 and v1.0 release, but dates for these two versions are still up in the air. We're shooting for sometime between summer and end of 2009 :)

17. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i think the cloud computing is the future , say the least , using prevx + panda will be a good LIGHT setup , provide 2 strong products along side , unlike AVS which u cant use 2 same time :)

BTW : does the panda Cloud AV hold same data base as panda regular av?

10x

18. pbust

pbust AV Expert

No, it's different. The local cache is based on Collective Intelligence telemetry of what's circulating out in the wild (plus some other stuff).

19. demoneye

SO ITS LESS EFFECTIVE THAN PANDA CLASSICAL AV?

other thing , if it found fp , it del the file :)thumbd: ) automatic , with no way to recover.... bad approach

20. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Not at all. It's just a different approach to using the cloud-scanning but it protects just as much as the traditional/classical product.

Yes this is a known issue which we're fixing for beta2.

21. demoneye

man give me beta2 now plz :)

the first beta del some important files here scanning (:mad: ) lucky i got some backups :doubt:

22. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I have removed beta1 due to the FP issue, but will resume testing when beta2 is released.

23. pbust

pbust AV Expert

I'll post it here as soon as we release beta2 ;)

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks. :thumb:

25. demoneye

10x a lot man , hope it be soon yes? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.