Panda Cloud AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ShyGuy, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

The beta 2 version has SERIOUS problems if losing Internet connection (no idea about previous beta version) - it'll switch between the messages "There are problems with the Internet connection ... taking more time than usual." and another reporting that the scan will continue in the background (that second comes up with an icon for software that I tried to run at the time) - back and forth, back and forth, and all this is supposedly for the real-time protection, not an on-demand or background scan! In the issue described previously, the "background scan" was my first guess, not here looking at the Task Manager...

Another fact is that what happens is that the performance slows down to a crawl - WITHOUT a lot of CPU cycles being used, almost nothing for PSANHost in this case, and it's not often it's taking cycles at all here (PSANHost that's). The CPU cycles are split a little here and there to other stuff like system processes and what I was running currently - that's, a installation of Outpost, which was what initially caused lost connection. It'd ofc be for just a few seconds if it wasn't for this huge problem, but now everything took forever.

EDIT: Okay, a little update... I can say straight away right now that I'll not be able to do things properly until I restart, and here is the weirdest thing... I obviously have my connection back since long as I'm writing and posting this freaking message! PCAV still reports the same stuff and acts the same way! When I think about it I must indeed have had connection again after a minor number of seconds, cause I didn't even notice I was without connection at all, except that I understood why the messages of PCAV came up as they did. The problem is simply completely major, as it resides even if the connection is restored (since very, very long) too. :blink:

Let me sum it up for an easier read...

1. Lost connection.

2. PCAV as a result slows the system down to a crawl, but WITHOUT using CPU cycles on the system. Comes up with non-stop popups shifting between "There are problems with the Internet connection ... taking more time than usual." and the scan will continue in the background (that second comes up with an icon for software that I tried to run at the time) for as long as new stuff is processing.

3. Restored connection doesn't solve anything - it'll continue to report problems with the connection and have the same behavior as described in #2.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. pbust

pbust AV Expert

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

4. pbust

pbust AV Expert

5. raven211

Full-scan stops at 4363 items / 5% - what do you want me to do so that you can analyze what's wrong?

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

mainly the detection of rootkits, and virus that are hooked to in good software and PCAV cant repair fully? is that true it cant remove all traces in registry and files if it hooked?

thank you
    Brock

7. OnSeeker

OnSeeker Registered Member

what’s so innovative about this technology if in the end I have to make the decision.. ? I could just as well live without any AV at all and choose which files to open.. duhhh?!?!

8. raven211

Have you replied in the right thread? :blink: PCAV does all the decisions by itself. What's innovative is the instant delivery of heuristics and definitions, together with a local cache of the most common and dangerous threats - all coming from the Internet which is referred to as "the cloud".

I'm not sure you got many things straight - you need to search around and read what's posted here at Wilders. :doubt:

9. pbust

pbust AV Expert

10. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Unfortunately this was one of the very first reviews of Beta1 and we did not include all disinfection routines until 2 weeks after the release of Beta1, and that's why PCMag (and some others) saw these problems and came to the wrong conclusions.

I can assure these have been fixed and Panda Cloud Antivirus does detect and deactivate rootkits, can disinfect & repair viruses and can remove traces in registry and files.

11. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

What about adware, rogue programs like antivirus 2009 and vonde ?

12. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Same detection/disinfection capabilities as regular Panda 2010 products :D

13. raven211

14. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Sorry forgot about that. Its "cloud". I'll fix the post.

15. progress

progress Guest

I'm glad to read that ;)

16. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i ran a test with panda cloud while it removed most of the malware it has issues stopping process it wouldnt even alart on them, why? even when i restarted they still showed.

i ran a full scan and it removed really close to all . most where trojans and worms .

17. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Can you send me more details about the process in question... MD5 of file on disk, detection ID, is it an inyection into another process or its own process?

18. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

PCAV fails. :(

Its says neutralized but stil not able to remove them from the system.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      133.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      68.1 KB
      Views:
  19. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

I really think Panda should look into their removal capabilties. I'll keep testing.

20. raven211

PCAV is finding "AppSetup.exe" residing in Windows' System32-folder to be Virtumonde. I'm pretty sure that's a part of the Creative Soundblaster drivers or utilities being detected, as they also have have a file named AppSetup.exe, which I found out when searching, and I'm using drivers and utilities for my X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card.

I've the following software installed for my sound card:

Driver: http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=10969

Utility: http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=10941

21. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Please submit undetected samples or suspect false positives to us in a password protected ZIP archive to virus@pandasecurity.com.

22. raven211

Geez... first of all, I dunno where "Neutralized" items are "kept". Since it's now detected a part of my Creative software as Virtumonde, it's not just in my "Recycle Bin" for easy exclusion - it's a full-blown FP detection. Secondly, I suppose that the process of analyzing the software that I linked to would've been done by now if taken care of straight away in comparison, plus that you would be able to put all the files installed by the setup files into context, allowing you to get a bigger picture of what made the full-blown FP occur in the first place.

Thanks for your assistance.

23. pbust

pbust AV Expert

All detections can be undone from the Recycle Bin (click on "Cannot find what you're looking for?") to get the historic view to undo actions. Alternatively browse for the file with the regular Windows Explorer. You should be able to locate the file and right click on it to get a context-menu of PCA to either delete it permanently or restore it.

24. raven211

Okay, thank you for the instructions - I'll send you the FPs that were found during a scan of my whole computer.

25. raven211

I was unable to send you the FP through email since sending EXEs is forbidden for security in my web-mail (GMail) - yes, it detected the .exe in my encrypted archive file (I think that's actually pretty cool :p). Below you'll find an encrypted archive uploaded, holding the AppSetup.exe belonging to software of Creative.

http://rapidshare.com/files/267035101/AppSetup.zip.html

The password is: fp

Please accept this method since I'm tired of more hassle just for one simple, but irritating FP. You should seriously consider making a built-in FP submit function - just right-clicking an item in the actions-list and report as FP or something. Maybe a form to fill in to prevent lots and lots of reports from people who dunno what they're doing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.