Panda Cloud Antivirus - Version 1.0 Final Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Doesn't just about all AV products do that though? Avast immediately throws them into the virus chest. I have a feeling I've forgotten exactly how Panda handles this, otherwise I can't see a problem. If files are easily recoverable from quarantine, what's the issue?

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

If you have an FP please submit it to Panda so we can fix it. We are trying to get the FP rate down :D

Also Panda Cloud instantly puts files in the recycle bin where they are easily able to be removed/

4. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Ibrad
    It doesn't here, I have had a file 'neutralized' for 6days - it is not in the bin!

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Did you click on can't find what you are looking for?

6. progress

progress Guest

That's right! Without user interaction and without notification! :rolleyes: The file just disappeared :thumbd:

I hope that behaviour will be changed in the next version ...

7. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I don't think we instantly delete files without a way to put them back where they belong.

8. DavidCo

IBrad
    Yes it's empty

I am in contact with Panda but 'tis a lengthy bash - lots of issues from back in 1st beta

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Have you posted in out cloud AV forum?

10. m0unds

m0unds Guest

this is the problem.

no notification = no one knows the file's missing until something needs it or the user needs to find it. if it doesn't let the user know there was a detection, then how is someone supposed to address the issue? most of the folks here would be savvy enough to figure out what happened, but if it's just john q. homeuser, don't count on it.

if it threw up a toaster notification saying "hey, this file was detected as blah blah" even if its behavior was to quarantine it, the user would at least *know* there was a problem and might be able to figure it out quickly.

11. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Oh yes you do. Panda Cloud deleted a dll from the Comodo firewall test folder and it disappeared - wasn't moved to quarantine or the recycle bin.

12. progress

progress Guest

I think I will stay away from Panda Cloud until that "design" is changed :thumbd:

13. gery

gery Registered Member

i was planning to install it in my desktop but as i am hearing a lot of complain i will probably not. Stick to avast and avg for a little more time

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

This behavior has to end, imho. There is no reason whatsoever to delete or quarantine a file with no warning. Users have got to be able to either stop the quarantine or deletion, or be able to retrieve the file simply because FPs are going to exist. Before any new features are put in, these kinds of things need to be worked out. Panda Cloud is a great app, I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to keep their clean machines from being infected. But it looks like some of the simple things were overlooked.

15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Ok,

First of all Avast! does the same thing on automatically blocking files and so does BitDefender. I see nothing wrong and I see it's behavior as acceptable.

I don't know why it deleted those Comodo files I know it deletes the files after a few days but it should not have instantly deleted the files. The FP was fixed quickly so I can't test why it deleted it.

16. m0unds

m0unds Guest

i think the behavior of quarantining files is fine, but it's the lack of notification that causes problems. i don't have experience with avast 5's notifications, but i know 4.7 and 4.8 both notified upon detection of anything.

17. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, it definitely notifies, plus plays a sound (including a voice message, depending on the language you have selected. "Threat has been detected" w/ some female voice in English).

18. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Panda Cloud does show notification's, I think we may be changing to instant in a later update but they coded it to not show alerts instantly.

19. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

the next beta should fix the issue or alest improve the function of PCA.

20. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Thing is, if you compare the FPs for all of these, they're very different, and PCAV still doesn't give me an option to restore it once quarantined for being "High risk". This AFTER already submitting the file and talking about it previously. It's not acceptable at all if you ask me.

21. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I don't remember how Avast handles it but with Avira, you can choose the action on detection - ignore, quarantine, delete, repair or rename. I would like a choice of action on detection and maybe check boxes to add the item to the ignore list and submit to Panda for analysis.

22. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Absolutely. Pre-defined actions could also be implemented and default as they're now - on the condition that I CAN restore the file since it can be an FP, which it's.

Does anyone know why the software still slows PC performance? I thought this was fixed, considering it's supposed to be a final release. :mad:

23. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Purrs like a kitten on the machine I have it installed on and it's older hardware.
    The other issue being discussed at the moment concerns me a little though.

24. pbust

pbust AV Expert

A small clarification on the notifications and the Recycle Bin:

• The notifications by the on-access driver while executing a program are shown immediately.
    • The notifications by the on-access prefetch & background scans (downloading a file but not executing, copying, etc.) are delayed 10 seconds to accumulate multiple notifications into one and, as these scans are non intrusive (no blocking of the system during scan), these notifications can take longer than 10 seconds. To see the difference you can activate Advanced Logging.
    • The notifications are closed automatically without user intervention after some time. It could be that there was a notification and the user didn't see it.
    • The detections by the heuristic engine (suspicious) and detections of potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are sent to the Recycle Bin. Users can recover these by selecting them in the Recycle Bin and choosing "restore". Alternatively the files stay in the original drive and folder location with a changed icon. Users can also permanently delete or restore these by right-clicking on the files. After 3 days without feedback from the user these are deleted automatically unless detected by the cloud as goodware. With version 1.1 users will be able to configure how the Recycle Bin behaves.
    • The files detected by signature & cloud are disinfected or deleted automatically. These can also be recovered by going to the Recycle Bin and clicking on the history of detections ("can't find what you're looking for?" link).

Independently of all of the above, there is a situation when notifications are not shown as mentioned by PC__Gamer and this is a bug that only happens right after install and during the background scan of objects and processes loaded in memory. We are hoping to get this fixed for v1.1.

25. DavidCo

Thank you for the explanation
    Could you tell me why I have had a file 'neutralized' for 8 days?
    It is not in the bin
    It is not an important file (in the IE temp folder)
    Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.