Panda Cloud Antivirus Beta 1.9

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Has same problem with Firefox as 1.5.1. Fixed easily with beta version of URL filter.
    I also would like a version 2.0 without firewall as I'm happy with Windows built-in firewall.

2. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Panda Cloud Antivirus Free Edition 2.0 will not have a firewall.

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'd like to learn more about Panda Cloud. What are the differences between the paid & free versions? Does it offer real-time protection? Since it's a cloud based AV, how does that work? Does it connect to the cloud to scan every single new file? To me that would seem like it wouldn't be light, actually. That and I'm just not sure I'd want that perpetual network activity.

But when my license for Avira Premium runs out, the only way I'll keep using a real-time AV is if it's so light I don't notice it's there.

I'd test it myself but don't have an extra box, and don't want to cause instability on this one, as Avira doesn't uninstall very clean to my experience.

Appreciate the feedback.

4. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

5. pbust

pbust AV Expert

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/forHome/

Yes of course. Cloud Antivirus is a complete AV with resident protection and all types of protection technologies (local signatures, cloud-signatures, local heuristics, cloud heuristics, prevalence telemetry, behavioural blocking, behavioural analysis, autorun & USB vaccination).

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=57112&tstart=0

I'm pretty sure you'll find Cloud Antivirus to be lighter than Avira.

6. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

Are the final version 2.0 be soon?

7. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Although the FPs are way down recently, I would like to be able to opt-in for an option to decide what action to take on a suspected file.

The reason is that when I first started using Panda months ago the FPs were annoying. Not as much of a problem for the occasional security program, but when it would remove files while I was compiling WinPE discs it would cost me a bit of time. I'd have to set it after the fact to ignore those files, then restart the compiling process.

I do like the minimalist approach to the program, but perhaps the option could be stuck somewhere in 'advanced options' as the current approach means more work for an end user - especially one who needs and uses a lot of tools that are more likely to be flagged as suspicious.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

honestly, I have yet to get a FP with Panda.

9. tipo

tipo Registered Member

installed it a few days ago and i must tell that i`m in love with this cloud av.light, caught everything that i threw at it nice interface, doesn`t interfere in my work. it`s perfect! using v1.5.1 (free version)

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yep, nutting better.:thumb:

11. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Using the Beta version since yesterday and I must say I am very pleased so far. It's light, simple and it caught everything I threw at it so far...I still have to play and try to understand the firewall part...

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I installed the beta version last weekend and I'm impressed with it so far.
    It runs light and the scanner is thorough.
    I am happy to read that 2.0 won't have a firewall. I agree with Thankful, I like the Windows Firewall.

I haven't had any trouble with PCAV beta, no fp's.

13. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with Panda - the FPs are mainly with obscure security tools, which are always going to be flagged as suspicious by antivirus programs.

Outside of that I have no problems with it - light and unobtrusive, with great detections, which is exactly what I was looking for. In my own testing, no malware from zero-day links has gotten past the combo of Panda and MBAM pro. If Panda hasn't removed them upon download, then MBAM prevents their execution.

I don't rely on them to prevent infection, but it's encouraging that they are effective as a team - more so than any other combination I've used with MBAM.

14. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

I was trying it out and it installs a "temp" folder on the root of C. Can it be deleted without issue? There's only 2 files in there.

15. carat

carat Guest

Where is the option to turn off archive scanning in this beta version 1.9? :doubt:

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Any improvements in I/O Reads and Writes?

17. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

@syk69 Yes. I believe it is used for help solving install & uninstall issues.

@tpro Not present. :)

18. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Not when I tried it.

19. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

As far as I know, it does scan archives.

20. pbust

pbust AV Expert

These are the logs from the OnlineInstaller (StubInstaller). If you haven't had any problems during the installation you can get rid of them.

Option to turn off archive scanning during on-demand scans was introduced in 1.5.x. Version 1.9.x is purely for testing the firewall component. Both development lines (1.5.x production & 1.9.x beta) are not yet aligned in features. They will be aligned when version 2.0 comes out.

Minor improvements were introduced in 1.5.x. There are more, bigger, improvements in the backlog in regards to I/O for future versions. Regardless I'm not quite sure why this matters. If the product does not consume memory & CPU resources, does not feel heavy, does not slow down your PC, browsing, open/read, etc then I don't understand why I/O matters so much to you?

21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Not to speak for Black Cat, but I have asked you a number of times about the i/o bytes because I have experience various slow downs with PCAV. When I check the usage, I noticed it uses a lot more i/o bytes than other AVs I have tried, so I thought maybe that is the issue.

22. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes, and I'm not arguing that it does have more I/O operations than other AVs. What I'm not so sure of is if that is the source of the specific problem that you encountered regarding "slowness". I'm sure other people where PCAV works perfectly and very light without resource consumption have the same I/Os but it is not a problem for them. I'm just not quite sure your specific problem is because of PCAV's I/O.

23. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

are there renewal discounts on renewing your keys?

24. Chuko

Chuko Registered Member

Uninstalled NIS2012 (couldn't download the removal tool so did it using uninstall in 2012) and installed Panda Cloud 1.9 beta. Really like its lightness, esp. no more virus sig updates! However, WinXP security center indicates that I have no firewall at all, even though Panda's firewall is on with net connection. Is this a bug? Btw, cos of this, i now have both Window's FW and Panda's FW turned on. Will this cause conflict or slowdown? Thanks.

25. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Not a bug. The registration of the FW with WSC is simply not included in the beta yet. Will be done before leaving beta.

In the meantime its best to disable the Windows Firewall if you are going to use PCAV's FW, although no major conflicts have been seen by running both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.