Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.5 Release Candidate

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

He would never do that...:eek: :D

2. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Under Panda Cloud AV its simple... look at the screenshot above.
    How about Avast, can you hide or close the banner?

3. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Unless you have no connection, there isn't any way. Though nobody complains, I guess, as the software is free and the banner is unobtrusive and blends in with the GUI.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What's with this? Makes sense lowering resources for real-time, but on-demand it doesn't. I think most would want to scan within archives when performing on-demand scans.

Anyhow, I can't wait until password protection is integrated.

5. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Compressed archives are not scanned on-access. Most if not all AVs are like that by default. If you want to scan within archives with an on-demand scan simply turn it on. Again on most if not all AVs you can configure if you want to scan within archives or not with an on-demand scan.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I think most AVs scan inside archives on-demand by default.

7. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

yeah most of them but they have size limit, which can be configured,

8. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Incorrect. Most can scan inside archives, but don't do so by default. Since we were on the subject of comparing CloudAV against Avast, here's the default settings for an on-demand scan:

screen_07.jpg

9. clayieee

pbust, does the url filtering included in the installer itself without installing the toolbar?

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

the banner ad as far as ive known it to be there has been essentially the same, doesnt really change much; but back to the original complaint that was social network integration, not ads to upgrade, avast DOES give the option to remove the big LIKE button and the twitter links in virus detections so yes, you can disable social network integration in avast.

Regardless, the fact that avast does it shouldnt need to be the justification needed for a vendor, the only thing they should need to know is that users dont like it, so providing them the option to disable it is only the most logical and simple answer for everyone to be satisfied.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It definitely scans archives when I do a right-click scan. This is only one example by the way.

12. aanon

aanon Registered Member

CloudAV 1.5 scans compressed files when right-clicking a file or folder as well. Settings affects to scans made from the console.

Exactly the same as many other antiviruses.

13. pbust

pbust AV Expert

I wasn't using it as a justification, I was responding to your own suggestion that CloudAV should have that option for button/banner like Avast has, and you were wrong in that with Avast you cannot get rid of the banner while in CloudAV you can. Our own surveys show that users care about the ability to close or not show the banner and this is what we've added to the 1.5 version. Based on the feedback we get from the CloudAV userbase on the social button we will see if we have a configuration option to not show it. As you may or may not understand the personal opinions of a couple of fanboys from competing AVs is not very valuable feedback.

This is the only example, and it works exactly the same way with CloudAV. If you run a default quick or full scan with pretty much any AV it won't scan inside compressed archives. But please don't take my word for it. Go ahead and actually spend the time to test it yourself so you can provide valuable feedback based on facts.

Sorry for the delayed response Percy and I did see your PM. It's in the roadmap although it's not priority. Can't give you a date or version for it just yet.

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Avast has no option to not show the upgrade banner, but there is an option to remove the Like and Twitter buttons afaik.

15. LunarWolf

LunarWolf Registered Member

Open avast > settings > Community > Community Features > "Uncheck show avast! recommendation features and uncheck show social networking features"

The like button, twitter button will be gone. I personally hate the like button and twitter button on any programs that I use. Glad avast and Panda Cloud have that opinion. Never use panda cloud before.

Just a question, if I go offline, how am I going to scan a thumb drive for threats?

16. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Thanks for the RC pbust! Been looking forward to it. Will install this weekend and report back.

17. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

There's an offline cache.

18. clayieee

does this AV have fingerprints? so it wont scan files known or scanned before?

19. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

The 1.5 RC and 1.9 beta seem to crash VirtualBox virtual machines, anyone else noticed the same?

20. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

It has a cache for that too. ;)

21. carat

carat Guest

:thumb: :thumb:

A full scan with Panda Cloud AV 1.4 took ~ 90 mins, version 1.5 did it in ~ 80 mins. But it's still very slow compared to AVG (10 mins) or Avast (15 mins) :doubt:

22. clayieee

What if I use Utilities like Advance System Care ? it deletes some cache. Does the cache that panda downloads are deleted too?

23. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

It shouldn't. If you haven't noticed, Panda Cloud does create a new temp folder.

24. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

Nothing to apologize for. :)

I was just interested since some other apps i've used seems to fare better when fully 64bit, it might be placebo effect, but i just have a "feel" that native 64bit runs a bit better. I can certainly understand that there are things with a higher priority right now in version 1.

25. pbust

pbust AV Expert

No. The CloudAV cache is not stored in the system or user temp dirs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.