Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.5 final release

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

It's the only thing about Panda Cloud I find a little unsettling but it's that way with their product in all flavors. Otherwise this Cloud AV is pretty terrific...:cool:

2. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Be Still My Heart...I Must Be Hallucinating! :argh:

3. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

O.M.G. - A Panda affair at Wilders..! I'm calling the tabloids right now...:eek: :D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

lol man..affair with the dancing panda hahaha:argh:

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

It's hard to resist those smooth Panda moves...:shifty:

6. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

Does Panda AV Pro 2012 also take action on it's own with no user input at all? Anyway hopefully they add that option to a future version of PVAC.

7. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

PVAC..?

MSE is known for very low fps, and yet a few people removed the AV after it detected Chrome as malware. Even though it requested for user-input on some machines, most of them chose to remove/quarantine it. Then the next day Norton had an fp issue. Prevx/Webroot on the other hand is popular when it comes to fps.

I believe the heuristics in Panda AV PRO are set differently than in Panda Cloud, so detection may be a little different. (Where's pbust?)

8. gugarci

Sorry I keep typing PVAC but it should be PCAV. But does Panda Antivirus Pro 2012 give the user the option as to how to proceed when it finds anything?
    As for MSE finding Chrome as malware if the MSE users chose to ignore the pop up asking what do, that was their choice. If i was using MSE with Chrome I would
    of said ignore or take no action. But I want the option to make that decision myself.

I couldn't care if the default setting PCAV was to take action on it's own with no user in-put. And for the the majority of PC users that will be the best setting. But advance users want more options and the ability to customized their software. At least put an option under an advance settings that the user change so the AV will ask the user how to proceed when it finds anything. You can also have a paid version of PCAV with more options like that. I'll pay for it.

9. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

My Avira license expires in 6 days, i'm really tempted to switch to Panda, the only thing holding me back is the over-newbie-friendly interface, which "Neutralizes" a bit too much for my wellbeing without anything the user can do. A simple "Quarentine ? YES/NO ?" would make a huge difference.

10. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Something like this?

Attached Files:

11. gugarci

Yes but is there a choice to ignore or take no action in case it finds something in the scan? That looks like a setting.
    And if that's a setting your only choices are if Panda thinks something is malware is to block, disinfect, or delete.
    No choice there to ask the user how to proceed.

12. tezzaa

tezzaa Registered Member

I've downloaded Panda Cloud twice now and still I have no User Interface.

Any suggestions for what might be wrong?

Thanks

Tez

13. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

What do you mean no interface?
    What other programs do you have running?

14. tezzaa

tezzaa Registered Member

No GUI (think thats the term) - nothing showing it's working or that my laptop is
    protected.

I have two browsers open.

15. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

I completely agree with you something like interactive mode, but it should be disabled by default. This setting is only for advance users.

Cheers!
    Ziaul

16. pbust

pbust AV Expert

As has been demonstrated over the years by AV products which ask by default or rely on users making decisions, both in malware detection as well as false positives, there will always be users who choose wrong and either get infected or delete a necessary file from their drive. There are hundreds of examples of AVs rendering OSs unstable or unusable after an FP or malware infection.

Relying on users to make the correct decision is the wrong way to go.

However it is true that there are some advanced users who are very familiar with malware and who "play" with malware or who have "hacking" tools for network management purposes which could use a setting to ask before taking an action. But you have to acknowledge that you are a very very very small minority. You wouldn't configure your mom's or granny's AV to ask her what to do everytime it detects something, would you?

When we designed PCAV we wanted to get something released as soon as possible with the minimum features and configurations as possible that would work for the vast majority of users out there and then add as needed based on user and community feedback. While we do agree that asking for action is an advanced configuration we will have to add to PCAV eventually, it is not high in the list of priorities right now. Specially since you have the option of recovering any deleted file (both signature as well as heuristic suspicious detections) from the Recycle Bin. We'll get to it eventually, but now we have to think about the millions of users out there who rely on PCAV and not about a handful of you which change their AV every other week anyway. I hope you don't take this the wrong way. We know we will need this feature but its not "urgent".

PS: Panda 2012 can be configured to block access (on-access) or ignore and continue scanning (on-demand).
    PS2: The issue with the nvidia FP was because there was a bug recovering that specific file from the Recycle Bin. Under normal conditions you can recover any deleted file (malware + suspicious + FPs) from the PCAV Recycle Bin. Also there's file, directory and extension exclusions which you can use.

17. MeAgain

MeAgain Registered Member

There's only a few examples of AV's rendering OS's unstable, but that doesn't mean it's not possible for PCAV to do so someday.

And this could never happen with another important OS file? Not being prompted with information about a detection is my main fear of using any AV. Ask doesn't have to be a default setting, but it should at least be an option for scanning in the pro version of a security product. Pro being the key word here. Panda Cloud is a great program, but if I were to pay for it, I would want an ask option for both scanning and for proactive detection, especially since it has a behavior blocker. All right I'm done. It's time to change my security again. lol.

18. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Wow..that really was not necessary... :gack:

19. pbust

pbust AV Expert

In my 15+ years inside the AV industry there's been many more than I care to remember.
    I didn't say that. In fact it's happened to pretty much every major vendor at one time or another.
    I don't agree. An advanced configuration for asking the action should be in both Free and Pro as it is a basic configuration option and not something we would want to charge for. Everybody should have access to that.
    You'll be mistaken in thinking this is a PCAV-only problem. Did you see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=308900 where even configured for asking the file was deleted without an option to recover it? At least in PCAV you could have recovered it from the Recycle Bin.

20. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Thanks for the more full explanation pbust, although it does leave a few more questions lingering. What you say makes sense for when PCAV was released in 2009, but that was nearly two years ago. Also, I'm puzzled by the suggestion that it would take a lot of work for what seems to be a simple prompt? I genuinely don't understand why it's such a problem to implement.

I agree that the average user who just wants to browse and look at emails doesn't care to be prompted, but I'd think anyone competent with a computer would feel uncomfortable not being prompted for action - and not just a handful of people on this forum.

For the record, I'd used the same antivirus for more than a decade before looking for a new antivirus this year.

21. MeAgain

You're absolutely right. I deleted it. Sorry pbust. I just felt slightly offended by the "and not about a handful of you which change their AV every other week" statement. I did say unfortunately though. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  22. MeAgain

Fair enough, but you did say "We know we will need this feature" so I would think this should be more urgent. I truly think Panda Cloud is one of the top AV's when it comes to prevention and detection. If I do give it a try, it will be for that reason and because of you. I think you are a good representative for Panda. Take care.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  23. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Thanks for your comments. Just to be clear and to reiterate, we do know this is important and will add it in the future. There's just some other more pressing features, bug fixes, internal improvements, etc. which are first in line.

24. MeAgain

You're welcome, and you won me over. :)

25. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.5 Free how do if it stops momentarily net network? Does it own database?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.