Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.5 final release

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I also put a bit chocolate powder on top, it worked :D

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Not if it's the primary computer as it's still a beta.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would have no problem using 1.9 on my main. I think as a beta it is probaly more stable then some released software out there.

4. Cyrano2

Cyrano2 Registered Member

I'm sure that they 're working on it :) .

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I was wondering when or how often does pcav synchronize it's cache? o_O

6. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

yes, how is this cache, for protection when offline, updated? only when doing full scans when online?

7. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

8. The Hammer

On average once a ,day but not necessarily every day. You don't need to do any kind of scan to update.

9. dansorin

I'm thinking of replacing my avast free and give panda cloud free a try, on my laptop. occasionally i travel and don't always have an internet connection. can panda cloud be an option in this case? i'm unsure about this.

10. pbust

pbust AV Expert

While not connected to the Internet Panda Cloud Antivirus still protects very well. First off you have to consider that while not connected the risk of exposure to new malware is considerably lowered.

Secondly Panda Cloud Antivirus has a good set of technologies which protect while offline:
    * Cache of signatures from Collective Intelligence which includes generic and signatures for in-the-wild malware according to the community telemetry.
    * Local heuristic engine
    * USB Vaccination & Autorun disabling
    * Behavioural blocking engine
    * Behavioural analysis engine (Pro only)

To get an independent view of the offline protection offered by Panda you can check out the 3 latest Retrospective Tests carried out by AV-Comparatives.org. Even though they are based on Panda AV Pro 2011/2012 it still gives a pretty good idea (same generic sigs and heuristics as PCAV).

11. dansorin

thank you, pbust. my main consern is when I travel to our chinese clients (it's my home laptop I use). it's not unusual that I get various documents on infected sticks. the offline time does not exceed a week, so I can assume it's no problem for panda cloud.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  12. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

So Panda Cloud and Panda AV PRO are closer than what we make them out to be? PAV gets one signature update every day, correct? Does this mean the sigs are somewhat based off the C.I.? Or does the product have traditional signatures and stores an offline cache as well?

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this?

Ccleaner shows several panda cache, drivers etc as system temp files during analyzing before cleaning. Should I go ahead and clean the system temp as I always do or it may harm panda cloud av?

14. pbust

pbust AV Expert

This is a false detection of CCleaner. As reminded by tpro Cloud Antivirus doesn't store its temp files under the System or User temporary directories but under its own directories. Can you please send me (PM or email to pedro.bustamante@pandasecurity.com) the CCleaner logs?

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

PCAV is frigging amazing. I have now dumped Eset and Avira off the 2 remaining computers and just using PCAV Pro. I really, really love how simple it is to stay safe.

But, not having said that it is time to play devils advocate. Pedro, why buy? To me there just isnt a big "proven" difference in the free and paid version. I mean for 4 computers for the paid version it would cost me $78.00 per year which is really, a good deal.

But not when you compare it to the free version. You do want to actually make money on this product dont you? I would, because to me, it is the Product of the Year for 2011.

But something has to be added to seperate the two and the statement of Behavorial analysis just doesnt equate to $78.00 bucks.

Keep in mind, this is the quandry that Avira has now found itself in with adding HTTP to the free version and no 64 bit ProActiv for the paid, why would anyone pay for the preminum version.

I really hope Panda finds a way to avoid this and I really hope that PCAV sticks around and isnt a hook and bait for other paid Panda products.

Thank you my friend.:thumb:

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

One last thought. Doesnt something have to analysis in order to block.:blink:

17. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

It seems a lot of folks are coming around to Panda lately. Myself included.
    Very impressed at how simple yet strong this app is. The pro version also has USB vaccination.

18. The Hammer

USB vaccination is also only available in the pro. As for Avira it still has other things the free version lacks.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  19. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I tried PCA on a totally fresh W7 x64 Home Premium install, and I have a question. I chose not to install the toolbar or URL filter because I use Sandboxie. I noticed in task manager that every 8 seconds a 3rd PCA process popped up for a second, then disappears, and is repeated every 8 seconds.........What is PCA doing? This seems unusual to me.

20. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Which process is it? PSANToManager.exe?

21. DBone

DBone Registered Member

PSANT

22. The Hammer

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@tpro thanks for the help....:thumb:

@pbust email sent .....:)

24. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yea, I figured it was Panda, but the 8 seconds on/off forever threw me.

25. pbust

pbust AV Expert

@trjam, thanks for your comments. As a matter of fact the difference between Free and Pro are not really huge. Probably the direct tech support by our QA and Dev team on the support forums is the more valuable than USBVaccine (which you can get for free) and behavioural analysis. We are aware of this and this is why the 2.0 version will include the community-based firewall in the PRO Edition, which will of course be a free upgrade to all existing PRO users.

@DBone, if you recently installed, PSANToManager.exe might be performing different actions, from BackgroundScan, offline cache updating, downloading and applying a hotfix or other background tasks. Allow it to finish its tasks and after a reboot it should stabilize.

@ams963, thanks. Will take a look at those logs and get back to you tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.