Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.3

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason_jiang

jason_jiang Registered Member

this FAQ may be helpful :)
    http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2009/05/04/frequently-asked-questions/

2. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Good ask! :thumb:

3. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

What you mean? That's how cloud computing works. How do you expect a cloud av to provide protection then?

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It will upload executable files (.exe, .com etc.)

5. pbust

pbust AV Expert

6. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

Thanks , I will read them :)

7. ExtremeGamerBR

What a day this month will reach the new version (1.4)?

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well for me this kinda made sense. You just can't upload petabytes of data from all users to scan it in the cloud. The reverse siganture approach is pretty simple idea and should work very well.

9. OuterLimits

OuterLimits Registered Member

I installed Panda Cloud after a long departure. I'm using Firefox 4 B9 so the toolbar doesn't work (yet) but the toolbar url filtering does as I now know.

Since I can't see the toolbar I'm not sure if there are options to white list some url's etc. maybe that would have helped.

So I install webmail notifier afterwards and suddenly any attempt to read or get to Yahoo Mail is redirected to a page which I know realize is from Panda. Frankly when I checked to download the toolbar I didn't know there was url filtering included.

Even after I uninstalled webmail notifier any attempt to access Yahoo mail were sent to the Panda redirection page. I'm not sure whether Panda url filtering did this as a result of previous interaction through webmail notifier or not

After uninstalling Panda toolbar url filtering (it comes as part of the toolbar but remained when I removed the non functioning toolbar through Firefox addons) I once again can access Yahoo mail and upon reinstalling webmail notifier it also works.

I should uninstall and reinstall Panda w/o webmail notifier installed at that point and try again. When I have some time I will go through the actions and report back.

10. ExtremeGamerBR

The same thing happened to me using Chrome and IE8, but I rebooted a few times and everything was back to absolute peace.

11. ExtremeGamerBR

Today appeared a window saying an update on Panda Cloud here on my laptop, it has been updated to version 1.4? If yes how can I know for sure and have some changelog?

12. jason_jiang

click the "?" button on the title bar of main window, then select "about Panda Cloud Antivirus", you can see the version number.
    i have not received any update notification yet, so i'm not sure if they're pushing out 1.4.

13. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Its probably a hotfix we are deploying to fix an issue with the transparent upgrades. But it should show anything unless you're on a Home or Starter OS. Are you?

14. ExtremeGamerBR

Thanks, I did not know you could see the version number.

Anyway here is still showing version 1.3, but I really got a window saying about an update, I clicked that I wanted to update (Yes) and asked me to reboot, I rebooted.

PCAV.jpg

So can anyone tell me that this update was that?

pbust can you help me?

EDIT: Sorry, I had not seen posted.

WIndows 7 64Bit Home Premium here.

Thanks for clarifying.

15. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

I just had the update and I'm still on v1.3. All I can see is Share Ideas and Soloutions appeared in the list of programs and that Panda ran a file for about 3 minutes after restart.

16. pbust

pbust AV Expert

As mentioned above what you received is just a hotfix, not the upgrade to version 1.4.

The upgrades to version 1.4 will start on February 2nd or 3rd.

17. ExtremeGamerBR

Thanks for the date, I'm looking forward to it.

It will be only bug fixes or new will add function to Panda?

Thanks for a great product that you have been doing and by you here is responding our questions.

Sorry for my english.

18. jason_jiang

great, chinese new year on the same day:D

19. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

Great Chinese New Year gift :p

20. carat

carat Guest

Could this also happen to Panda Cloud?

Would Panda Cloud AV notice the blocked network traffic? :doubt:

21. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Theoretically the same thing could be attacked in Panda Cloud AV.

But I fail to see how this is any different from the hundreds of thousands of existing trojans which block access to "traditional" signature update servers from AV vendors (by modifying the hosts file, SPI layer, or whatever other means). The result is the same... no ability to scan with updated sigs. It doesn't matter if the sigs are traditional or cloud, the end result is the same.

Seems to me all this noise around Bohu is a lot of FUD. How come the thousands of trojans from last week which block access to Symantec, Microsoft and Kaspersky signature update servers are not news? Again, the end result is the same.

Also the article equates cloud-scanning to simple file hashing. This is flat out wrong, at least in the more advanced cloud scanning technologies such as the ones from Prevx and Panda. It is true that some clouds rely on DNS and only scan based on simple file hashes, but this is not true of more advanced clouds that use generic sigs and heuristics.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think he was concerned because, since PCAV doesn't has the full DB in the PC, when the malware blocks the internet PCAV wouldn't be able to detect malware as accurate as others which has the DB in the PC.
    Even if other s are blocked, i guess they would fare better because of their full DB on the PC. :rolleyes:

23. pbust

pbust AV Expert

I guess its more of a perception issue. If you disconnect (or get blocked) from the Internet and attempt to run malware, then yes, PCAV will detect less than a traditional AV with full sigs on the PC. But even then PCAV has a cache of signatures + heuristic + behaviour engine which protects against malware even while offline (highest detection in last retrospective test by AVC).

However this is more of a theoretical situation as users don't disconnect from the Internet and start running old malware. Since many years ago malware is very dependent on the Internet to propagate. Having a full DB of signatures on the local PC doesn't add any significant real-world value in today's malware dynamics.

24. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Well if malware enters your computer undetected and disables your connection to the update server(s) to get signatures, then your still in the same boat.

25. carat

carat Guest

... but would Panda Cloud AV notice the blocked network traffic? :doubt: Would I get any message? :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.