Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.3

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Most likely just a partnership from the two. I have no details on that but that would be my guess.

Another question why did you bold the part when it says: Such statistical information will not include any personally identifiable information regarding users? Every company collects stats nothing odd about that.

The Toolbar does collect the user's IP address. Just think about every other product that did that.

2. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Pbust is aware of that bug. See post 229 on page 10. :)

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, without IP's you can't have any kind of internet aware applications. Besides, knowing IP alone is the same as only knowing someone's name (and not surename). You can identify where he might come from, but you can't know who exactly is. Most aggregate user stats this way, so they can see how big userbase is in certain country.

4. geko

geko Registered Member

Every security software collects user habits?

Anyhow, I just want to know, who's (company Panda or Visicom) file/s is the Malicious Web & URL Filtering feature? and if I stay with this feature (without the toolbar), will they still collect data from me?

I supose to get this information I will have to subscribe to Panda's forum? I dont want guessings.

I dont like toolbars. If a company wants to get money, just make your products comercial, not freewares with ...

5. pbust

pbust AV Expert

6. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@pbust
    Thanks for posting! Will test it out tomorrow.

7. Morro

Morro Registered Member

8. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes we're still looking into that issue Morro, thanks for reporting.

9. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I gave another try to Panda Cloud, but I still have ressources issues.
    PSANhost.exe handles went up over 9000, and virtual memory increased continually and was up over 230MB when I decided to uninstall PC once again...

10. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Do you see an impact on performance on your PC (feeling of heavyness) associated to those metrics?

11. Morro

Morro Registered Member

I just checked PSANHost.exe in Process Hacker and it indeed seems to use a lot of memory. But in defense of PCAV i do have to admit that personally i have not experienced any slowdown what so ever so far. That beside the point it is indeed a lot?

Attached Files:

12. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Hi pbust.
    Indeed, since my old machine has only 512MB RAM.
    As soon as it begins to use swap space, the slowness starts.
    I've used Immunet Pro Plus for several weeks.
    It uses two cloud engines and a local database (enabled only in the paid Pro version), and it never approached Panda's use of ressources.

The lightest AV I've been running is AVAST 5, which is incredibly light and fast.

I should have used Panda Cloud a litttle more before registering, because I don't use it anymore.

13. pbust

pbust AV Expert

In these cases it helps if after installing you do a full on-demand scan of the entire PC to help PCAV build its internal cache.

14. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Well, too late now.
    Anyway, I'm not the first one to bring this issue, and I had it build its cache when I first installed it, a few months ago.
    How about adding a pop-up, on install, highly recommending an on-demand scan to build a cache?
    I've never seen a prompt from the program or a warning about this.

15. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes it might be a good idea on machines with less resources to prompt the user to perform a full scan right after install. Its something we discussed at the final stages of the beta but never got around to implementing it. Maybe we should in a future release.

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IME, the new version even on high-end machines, a full scan is needed to quickly reach the optimum cache/fingerprinting. Otherwise, PSANhost.exe eats up CPU time/cycles even through several reboots.

post 12 in this thread;

Originally Posted by Blackcat
    Conflicting advice?

17. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

pbust how long does the cache last on scanned items before they need to get scanned again to reduce the CPU consumption? Im not experiencing any issues, but it would be nice to know.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

GOOD question, was wondering this myself, i did a full scan yesterday on my bro laptop just in case it needs a cache refresh :D (It's a NETBOOK so it's kinda slow, 2GB ram and an ATOM = Slowmo)

19. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I was wondering because I have the same issue with my wife's netbook. I havent had the issues where it slows down like others have mentioned. I was more or less just curious so I can set a scan full scan in the task manager on the last day before the cache expires.

20. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Its not a set schedule as every file based on its characteristics gets different lifetime in the cache (signed vs not, heuristic determination, etc.). So its more of a dynamic cache. Once you do the first on-demand to fill it out you shouldn't have to do anymore on-demand scans as it re-scans by itself as needed to re-fill it out.

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thanks for fast response PBUST :thumb:

22. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Only those with a creditcard can apply for a free pro license?

23. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

No, as you can see the CNET pro license is no longer free and that is why they need CC details. The Free Pro license offer was only meant to last 48 hours, though it lasted a few days longer, but now it is no longer available.

24. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Give me a moment to wipe my tears then, im always late with these free licenses from vendors :blink:

25. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

pbust, I quickly scanned this thread for the answer but did not see it, so please forgive me if it has already been addressed. Do the free 1yr Pro licenses start from the day they were received or the day that they are first activated? So in essence if I waited 2 months to install would the license only have 10 months remaining or would I have the full year?

In any event I'd like to thank you and Panda for the generosity. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.