Panda Cloud 1.4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Hammer, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yeah i had to uninstall it because IE loading webpages slowed down alot. also the fact that my computer seemed really slow.

running avast right now and its pretty light .

2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

indeed. I currently have pro license but dont bother using em...and also is this good fighting malwares that already infected the system?:rolleyes:

3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but what and why is "GOBS of disk i/o" a bad thing?

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Significant ways whereby a given software can slow down a computer's responsiveness include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
    (1) using high amounts of CPU
    (2) requiring lots of disk I/O.

The impact of those factors will vary widely from one computer to the next, depending on such factors as the computer's CPU speed, amount of RAM, speed of HDs, number & type of other apps that are competing for computer resources at any given time, et alia.

An interesting comparison of the relative "slow-down impact" of various AVs can be viewed HERE.

5. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Very helpful..............Thanks!!

6. pbust

pbust AV Expert

There's some cool advanced config options coming in 1.5 to address that.

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

:thumb: Thank you for the heads up. That's great to hear. Like I mentioned, it seems like detection/protection has greatly improved since I tested it a few times last year. I have tested it against about 150 working links of the past week, and only 1-2 items got through. That's is pretty darn good against zero-day stuff. If you can get it to ease up a bit on resource usage, this will probably be the one that I start installing for others that I support.

8. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

It's my current choice for clients. Tho I agree about the huge I/O issue. I guess it's caused by the on-access scanning + reading & creating the signatures for the files that need to be uploaded to the cloud. Perhaps Pbust could detail a bit further about the new config options. I really like the product as it is right now cause other than the I/O usage, everything else works like a charm, the URL filter is darn good also. I've yet to hear a complain from any of my clients.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I really really look forward to 1.5!

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'll install PCAV as my real time AV (I got a license) :D

11. carat

carat Guest

Install Panda Cloud 1.4 and download eicar.com. You will get a notification: 1 virus neutralized. The file eicar.com seems to be in the quarantine but a crippled eicar.com file is still on the desktop (where I saved the file).

I think this quarantine/neutralize/delete behaviour is still miserable ... :(

12. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

For me it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if version 1.5 will support 64bit browsers?

13. pbust

pbust AV Expert

I can't replicate this.

Which browser are you using? Which eicar are you downloading (.com, zip, txt, ...) and which action are you telling the browser (download to drive, run from web,...)?

14. carat

carat Guest

Firefox 3.6.13 - eicar.com - download to drive :doubt:

15. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Still cannot reproduce... file gets deleted correctly all the time.
    Which OS & Patch level are you using?

16. carat

carat Guest

I tried it again and the file has been deleted :) Hm - I don't know what happened :doubt:

Let's hope v 1.5 with faster scans will be available soon :thumb:

17. zip

zip Registered Member

I don't want nothing to do with Panda Cloud.

Since I tried PCAV, Magic Jack won't autostart.

I got a work-around from MagicJack, it's not the same.

An a/v shouldn't be allowed to mess with autoruns!!!

18. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Don't blame the AV, most likely this is being caused by the Autorun Vaccination, did you already try to disable it?

19. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes that's the autorun disabling feature, nothing to do with the AV functions.

Just delete the @="@SYS:DoesNotExist" in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf
    and your autorun programs should function normally.

20. shadek

shadek Registered Member

See, this is what I had problems with as well when scanning large sets of malware. Some files were left while having 0 kb file size and sometimes showing up in quarantine and sometimes not. That was in version 1.3... so of course, the bug cannot possibly exist in version 1.4. At least that's what I'm told a page or two back in this thread.

21. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

22. jason_jiang

jason_jiang Registered Member

23. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Yesterday, my wife's computer got infected from an autorun virus from a flash drive using non-Panda software. This was a surprise as the av didn't do anything, but my firewall was blocking all sorts of outbound connection.

Anyway, I was thinking of installing the Panda Cloud and noticed the free version does not offer autorun protection. See the last feature.

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/download/cloud-antivirus/free

I think this is one of the more common ways to get infected unnoticed because right when you insert it, you get infected. Scanning the flash drive will not detect the autorun virus and you can't even see the file.

Would be a beneficial/important feature in the free version as other free av software offer this protection. Just my 2 cents. :)

24. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Small clarification about this, as I think the page does not do a good job at describing the difference.

Included in Free Edition
    * Resident AV protection (shield) does scan USB drives as they are inserted and read.
    * Default installation of Free Edition also disables Windows Autorun to prevent malware in a USB from infecting the PC.

Included in the Pro Edition only
    * Vaccination of USB drives. This is basically the same technology that's available for free in "Panda USB Vaccine".

However in the future we are thinking of including the vaccination of USB drives in the Free Edition as well. Stay tuned for that.

25. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Thank you Pedro for the clarification and reassuring the autorun matter. I really like the path Panda is taking. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.