Panda Activescan crashes system (blue screen)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CelestialTeardrop, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop Registered Member

I haven't used Panda Activescan (online) in a few weeks so I'm not sure when this started. A few seconds after the scanner starts scanning "My Computer" the screen goes completely black, then a blue screen appears with the following message:

I have not made any new installations of either hardware or software in the past month (maybe more) other than Windows updates and definition updates for my scanners.

Does anyone know what causes this and more importantly how it can be fixed? Is it a corrupt driver for Panda Activescan?

Thanks in advance.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

reboot, press f8 (i think) to get to your boot options, select "Last Known Good Configuration"

then when your windows has rebooted, click run>type "chkdsk /f /r"

let it do its business, and hopefully your problem will be fixed.

it wont harm to clear your temporay internet files either, this can be done with Disk Cleanup which is a part of windows.

3. CelestialTeardrop

Hi C.S.J., thank for the info.

I'm sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but after restarting the problem "went away" but could be replicated every time I tried to run Activescan. I do clear temporary internet files as well as Windows Temp, Current User Temp, and All Users Temp using ATF-Cleaner at least once a day.

Could it be that the driver is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled?

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

when you run chkdsk /f /r, does it give you any errors, if so it should fix them.

that should rule out your HD as the problem.

i still would revert back to your last known good configuration, to be safe now than sorry later.

it is usually a problem with ram/driver.... but this does not neccessarly mean there is a problem with them,

check your \windows\minidump folder, try and locate system events 1001 and 1003, it should give you more information on what actually caused the crash to occur.

5. CelestialTeardrop

Ran checkdisk, and there did not appear to be any errors; here is the log from EventViewer

When checkdisk finished and my desktop was fully loaded, I got a message saying

I clicked send report, and a minute later got the same message again.

In the EvenViewer I found these details (both under category 102, event 1003):

first error
    second error
    Do you know what that could means?

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

under your minidump 1001 and 1003, it should (if memory serves me right) mention the file that caused the crash.

example:

Mini291207-07.dmp BugCheck 10000034,
    Process <code> Image: thebat.exe
    Probably caused by : explorer.exe

this example would tell me that the bat email client, caused my explorer to crash, due to windows trying to load up a process that was in the memory that just did not exist.

sorry i cant be of more help, i think if you follow the steps ive mentioned, it should sort itself out.

7. CelestialTeardrop

Oh sorry! I forgot to mention/ask: I looked in the minidump folder and found 2 files in there, Mini122807-01.dmp and Mini122807-02.dmp, but hesitated to double click on them because I'm not sure which program to open them with; notepad maybe?

Thank you so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, notepad.

9. CelestialTeardrop

Just tried notepad and got a lot of characters like these:

PAGEDUMP (
     É $V€X…V€L  P ø??ÿ ×Iܶ AGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGE AGEà"U€
    )þ  ž  ÿ  Œî PAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEP
    AGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPA
    GEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGE
    PAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGE
    PAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGE
    PAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGE  @?ÿH‚
    ü cùÉ Ï?À {Ä°×Iܶ  ”{Ä°

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Reboot to safe mode with networking and run a scan. After you've completed panda maybe you can give the f-secure online scan a whirl.

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

thats a corrupted .dmp file,

and it does this on all the .dmp files you have?

edit: do you have an registry cleaners, you should run one.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

12. CelestialTeardrop

Yes, both the .dmp files are like that.

I have CCleaner; I used it two days ago to clean the registry and I'm actually wondering if that's what started this mess...

I'll give it a try again.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

maybe, someone more technical than myself will come on to help you, dont worry just yet :)

you do run an antivirus right?

if so, which and is it updated with regular scans being made?

14. CelestialTeardrop

I run Norton Internet Security 2004 on this machine. I also have Ad-Aware, Spybot Search&Destroy, Windows Defender, AVG-AntiSpyware, WinPatrol, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner, and HiJackThis.

It's a small miracle that all of those are compatible with all the others ;)

I'm a little obsessive about computer security, so I update and scan probably more than necessary. Unfortunately I'm not very knowledgable (yet) about all the behind-the-scenes processes, programming, debugging and things like that. But I am willing to learn :)

But to get back on topic, I think I "solved" the issue of ActiveScan (run in IE 7) crashing, at least for now.

I uninstalled ActiveScan in Add/Remove programs, deleted the RkPavProc.sys driver from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers, restarted the computer, then went to the Panda site and started the scan (which installed a fresh copy of the ActiveX control and other related files). The scan seems to be running normally.

I am still curious though why the driver became corrupted, why the .dmp files are corrupted as well, and why I got the "system recovered from a serious error" message.

If I make any progress I'll report back.

Thanks so much, once again, for your assistance (and for teaching me about the minidump and related files)!

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

cant you use your 2004 serial on 2008 for norton, your machine will respond a WHOLE lot more?

remove spybot, adaware and spywareblaster completely, they are not needed and using valuable resources.

defrag your machine every 7-14 days.

im the master of keeping my machine as light as possible, also as neat and tidy as possible, kinda freaky like that o_O

------
    no problem, happy holidays and welcome to forum.

16. CelestialTeardrop

I haven't thought of switching ot NIS 2008, since I have some patched files for 2004 (it wasn't cooperating with IE7, something to do with scripting) and it is compatible with all my other programs. The subscription and definitions are regularly updated though.

As for resources, only Norton and WinPatrol have realtime scanning/monitoring. Ad-Aware and Spybot only run when I manually scan, and SpywareBlaster does not run in the background.

I should probably defragment more often though.

Happy holidays to you as well!

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, i recommend you try your serial with norton 2008 ASAP, and get rid of that bloatware in 2004.

adaware and spybot are closer to being rogue programs than a competition to your other tools, they offer zero protection to what you already have, remove immediately. ;)

AVG AS on-demand is all you need for your backup scanner (if you truly want one)

im not really sure with winpatrol, but this is purely your choice as personally ive hardly tried it, when i did.. i didnt like it so i pulled it.

dont bother using IE7, get Mozilla Firefox and install the following extensions: Noscript, Cookieculler, AdblockPLUS, IEtab and Fasterfox.

Defrag, but i wouldnt use windows own.

Configure your startup programs, everyone always has too much running at startup, and also configure your automatic windows services in services.msc

im sure, at worst.... you will see a better responding, more stable machine.

18. CelestialTeardrop

I avoid IE7 like the plague (proud Firefox user!), but the funny thing is Norton did not cause trouble in IE but vice verse. IE caused Norton to have an error when viewing firewall preferences. I use all the extensions you mentioned (plus Context Search and Update Notifier) except Cookieculler; I'll look into that.

19. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

IE7 has issues with many applications, it's trash.

20. Fly

Fly Registered Member

About the Panda online scan:
    I once tried a suite, and it was almost impossible to remove it.
    Not so long ago, I tried a Panda online scan, but when I noticed that files were being copied to my windows directory I immediately aborted the process !!

I wouldn't touch Panda if my life depended on it.

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Same here, it left a big file in my system32 folder the only time I used it.

22. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

23. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Nod 32 have an online scanner that will find and remove.

24. CelestialTeardrop

Oh wow, I'm really glad to hear about the other side of Panda. It is recommended on so many support sites to double check other scanners that I was starting to think I'm the only one having problems with it.

In case anyone else is having trouble of this kind as well, here is an "update" on the situation:

I uninstalled the bits and pieces that Panda installs on the system using Add/Remove Programs, then did a search for the file causing all the trouble (the driver RkPavProc.sys) and deleted it out of the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder. So there were two of them; one in C:\Windows\System32\ActiveScan and one in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.

Restarted the comp. Went to the ActiveScan site and did the scan again. It installed everything again then did the scan normally. No blue screen.

A week or so later (today), I guess Panda updated their files with another corrupt driver because I got the blue screen error again.

So Panda is officially off my list of alternative scanners.

What is the general opinion of Kaspersky's online scanner? Has anyone had any issues with it?

Thanks.

25. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

It is detection only. If you want removal capabilities use the AVP tool (newest on bottom).

http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.