Pale Moon Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hayc59, Nov 22, 2016.

1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Pale Moon v27.0 Released

After about 8 months of development, we now have a new milestone release with literally too many changes to list even concisely. These release notes will therefore only highlight the most important parts of this release.
    In this release we've done a full upgrade of our back-end platform, meaning many things work different "under the hood" and you may run into a number of extension compatibility issues as a result

New and updated features:
    • Support for DirectX 11 and Direct2d 1.1 on Windows. This will bring Pale Moon more in line with the capabilities for current-day operating systems and graphics hardware.
    • Update of the Goanna engine to 3.0 - with many changes to layout and rendering for the modern web.
    • Pale Moon now fully supports HTTP/2.
    • Ruby Annotations are now an integral part of the HTML parser, controllable with CSS.
    • Media Source Extensions have been implemented to solve many video playback issues.
    This can be enabled/disabled and configured in Options. It's recommended at this time to not enable MSE for WebM since there are a few issues with it on services like YouTube (e.g. losing audio when looping/skipping).
    • Support for reading and playing so-called "fragmented" MP4 files has been added, further solving media playback issues.
    • Support for SSL/TLS connections to proxy servers.
    • Support for the WOFF2 font format for downloadable fonts.
    • The JavaScript engine has been updated with support for many landmark ECMAScript6 features (chief among them promises and generators). This will solve many of the web compatibility issues that people have started to run into in the past few months (e.g. webmail interfaces, some sites coming up blank because they are script-generated).
    • The way web content is cached has been changed to be more efficient. If you want to immediately take advantage of this, clear your cache.
    Removed support/features:
    Removed support for Windows XP. If you are still running Windows XP, then your only option is to continue using Pale Moon 26.
    • Removed the internal PDF (pre)viewer. This module was not maintained, was unable to display even half of the PDF documents correctly, and could not reasonably remain included in the browser. Please use a separate reader and/or install a PDF reader plugin.
    • Disabled building of the devtools. They will not be included in release versions of Pale Moon from this point forward. If you are a web developer or otherwise need those tools, fear not! They are available as a browser extension.
    • Removed the active XSS filter. This feature, although effective, was prone to some instability and needs to be rewritten for the update of our platform. It may or may not return in the future, depending on whether the original author has time to rewrite parts of this filter implementation.
    • Removed support for Add-on SDK extensions (JetPack extensions), considering the Mozilla/Gecko SDK is no longer compatible with our combination of application and platform code.
    And a whole lot more....

Download Links-Direct .EXE
    Pale Moon 27.0
    Pale Moon 27.0 x64
    Pale Moon Portable 27.0

2. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

@hayc59 Thanks for the update. Will give the portable version a go.

3. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

as usual, most my addons are not compatible even popular ones like IETAB and LastPass

this once great browser has now turned to a mess of incompatibility, addons not working, and many pages not loading.

4. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

Lastpass is working in mine.

5. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

For a browser that is suppose to be light-weight, the installer takes away. Please just give an .exe file like before!

6. guest

guest Guest

Some of my addons are not compatible anymore, but this was expected as support for "JetPack extensions" was removed.

And i noticed PaleMoon has crashed several times after i close it :cautious: This happened with earlier beta versions of 27.0 too.
    So i reverted back to 26.5, and i'll wait for a newer version.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I did a vanilla install of v27 and so far everything's fine. It renders properly now in GMX Mail and Outlook. I've not had any problems running flash or HTML5 videos.

pm271.jpg
    I only have five add-ons though.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Updated and seems to run just fine.Never had many problems with this browser.
    I did have to sadly say goodbye to decentraleyes which was apparently incompatible,but no worries.

9. Daveski17

Yeah, I had that. Not sure what it did though lol.

10. The Red Moon

From what i understand dave,it blocks locally delivered cdns etc and was a compliment to ublock origin which is the only extension i have in palemoon now...but thats how it goes lol

11. Daveski17

I knew it did something clever. lol

12. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

13. Daveski17

14. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Just updated to Palemoon 27 and I've had to ditch Ghostery as it wasn't compatible anymore (no great hardship), thankfully NOscript still works.
    I need a bit of help though, I noticed Voodooshield blocked accessiblemarshal.dll when I updated Palemoon, could anyone tell me what this file is please and what does it do ?
    Thanks in advance.

Gordon

15. quietman

quietman Registered Member

accessiblemarshal.dll comes from Mozilla ..... do you have Firefox installed ?

Ghostery is no real loss IMO , it has had it's day .

16. ghodgson

Hi Quietman,
    Thanks - that's interesting, no I don't and never have had Firefox installed. I'm assuming then that if it's a Mozilla file I've no need to allow it in Voodooshield.

Re Ghostery - yes I agree, the latest version has been panned in all the reviews.

Thanks again.

17. quietman

quietman Registered Member

You are most welcome .

It is still a little puzzling though .
    I have Firefox on one of my W7 systems , and PaleMoon on another , and a quick search shows accessiblemarshal.dll only on the system with Firefox .
    My guess is that in your case it may be a legacy from an older version of PaleMoon , from closer to the time when it was first forked from FF .

It might be interesting to check some install dates ( eg. compare the .dll date with the approximate time you first started using PaleMoon )

Just a thought .... :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  18. ghodgson

Thanks.
    I've been using PM a long time - but yesterday PM wouldn't update to v27 using it's own internal updater, so I downloaded the V27 64 bit installer from their website and installed it. It was during this installation when Voodooshield blocked the .dll file so my impression was that it was bundled in the installer for PM V27. I've just checked the Palemoon programme files and accessiblemarshal.dll isn't present which I suppose you would expect if VS had blocked it.
    I've now just checked yesterday's install log for V27 and it states - remove old PM files - then installing V27 and there is an error report which I've copied here..........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DLL Registration
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** ERROR Registering: C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\AccessibleMarshal.dll **

So it looks like it's a false positive from VS but my copy of Palemoon seems to be running fine without it as it seems does your copy as you don't have it either.
    I'm still unaware of what AccessibleMarshal.dll actually does though.

19. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Pale Moon v27.0.1 Released

This is a bugfix release for some of the issues that popped up with the new milestone.

New and updated features:
    • Fixed removal of distribution/bundles/ copies of status bar code and ruby annotations code.
    This should clean up everything on install/upgrade that currently causes double code to create intermittent/odd behavior.
    • Backed out some media back-end changes to fix MSE playback on Twitch.tv and other similar sites.
    • Disabled pop-up network status in full screen by default (since video detection is rather iffy at the moment).
    • Fixed a regression causing the "reset profile" button to not appear in about:support on the default profile.
    • Worked around bad Netflix interface changes - it will now use a more compatible web UI.
    Please note that these Netflix changes were unrelated to the actual release of Pale Moon (26.5 is also affected).
    • Aligned base status bar colors with default prefs.
    • Fixed status bar options not being remembered.
    • Added an override for Amazon Prime videos so they won't stop us at the front door any longer when not using the Firefox Compatibility user agent mode.
    • Re-applied proper branding text to in-app licensing.

Download Links-Direct .EXE
    Pale Moon 27.0.1
    Pale Moon 27.0.1 x64
    Pale Moon Portable 27.0.1

20. The Red Moon

21. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Same here. I used PaleMoon for years until compatibility issues made it a no-go.
    The development options the PM team made are, in my opinion, stupid. they should have kept the core code and strip it of bloat in terms of both speed and privacy; maybe add useful functions (they still keep List All Tabs as a drop down window with thumbnails which is a must). What they're doing is punching above their weight.
    As it is it's a hybrid; useful for those who can live without not supported add-ons, not an option for many (most?) others.

22. The Red Moon

Just bear in mind that browsers do NOT make themselves compatible with extensions,thats not how it works at all.Extension developers must take a more altruistic outlook in terms of browser developement.

23. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

You're welcome! :)

24. Daveski17

25. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

thank you Dave :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.