paid vpn service recommendation as of october '14?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by imdb, Oct 5, 2014.

1. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Hi Lyx, I tried to use windows firewall, and blocked chrome except on a public network. It worked a treat on my wired desktop, but I can't get it to work wirelessly. Chrome is blocked all together. Can anyone explain to a complete amateur. Cheers.
    I have posted a pic of my network/sharing centre http://i59.tinypic.com/adl1qf.png

2. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Hello further to my previous reply (above)
    I went into the firewall and chrome properties, in the advanced settings > customize interface types , i changed it from all interface to wireless ( see pic )
    now chrome seems to works only whne the vpn is running. Does changing this setting make sense to anyone. Many thanks in advance http://i61.tinypic.com/2lw5fur.png

3. Lyx

Lyx Registered Member

If you have difficulties in setting up firewall rule, you can try the route method. I wrote a post 1 or 2 years ago about that on this forum, but the method is much better explained in TorGuard Knowledge base:
    https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=42

Essentially, (if you use windows Xp/8.1 what you have to do is to write something like "route delete 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1" in a .bat file (eg VPNProtection.bat), to save the file and then, just after the vpn connects, to double-click on the .bat file. That's all: you will be protected. :)

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Is iVPN the faster of the two?

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's very hard for me to say, because I use them through different nested VPN chains, and speed differences reflect the chain overall, not just the final VPN. Sometimes one chain is faster, and sometimes the other.

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

After reading that post I have finally figured out who Mirimir is ------------- a Politician. LOL!!

You will find several vpn providers around that offer multiple concurrent connections (3-5) per account. It is fairly trivial to create your own multi-hop circuit. Some great providers offer multi hop but they might have 4 such circuits even though they have dozens of servers you can use in mono mode. I think it is better to disappear by using a custom multi-hop route on servers that don't offer them publicly. When you have 4 "public" routes its easier to concentrate on those routes from an adversarial perspective. My opinion.

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

To my experience, iVPN was the fastest one. Even using double-hop it was only a slight difference between single hop... and the single hop was so fast I barely noticed a difference between it and not using a VPN at all.

8. caspian

Is there one that you trust more than the other? As far as not just handing over identities just by being asked?

9. caspian

Thanks. That sounds pretty good and at a good price. Do you feel pretty confident that they are truly serious about protecting a user's identity?

10. mirimir

Overall, I trust iVPN more, because I've developed a relationship. And I have no special relationship with Insorg. But I have no complaints either. They've been fair (issuing credit last year after technical issues) and have good tech support. They are very Russian, of course ;)

11. osalnuga

osalnuga Registered Member

Hello, I stand in the forum , I live in Uruguay and I 've tried a few vpn services. VikingVPN have not tried ? They seem to have a good privacy policy. What are your views ? regards

12. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

True. I can use Torguard that way just by using one server on my Tomato router and another using Openvpn on a client computer and another server nested in a VM in that computer. I could also daisy chain routers and have each router be a hop.

13. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Yes I do. I had some correspondence back and forth with them, and they seemed really genuine. They even gave me pointers about how to harden it, and directed me to a tool the one dev. made (DNS Leak Fix).

I would rank them 2'nd behind only Mullvad, due to the cash payment option of the latter, which I love. Other than that not much difference. I like both of their locations. Mullvad in a mecca for freedom fighting (Sweden), and iVPN in Malta, which is technically a part of Italy but not under their jurisdiction... under their own. And has multi-hop which Mullvad doesn't.

I think these things separate them from the rest of the pack a bit, compared to Boleh & AirVPN, the rest of the upper echelon.

I've never tried PIA.

14. Overdone

Overdone Registered Member

The time has come for me to pay for another VPN subscription... Not sure If I should go with AirVPN or with Mullvad... Any opinions?

15. osalnuga

I'm trying Vikingvpn and truth seem very serious and is flawless speed and have great concern for privacy. I do not know if anyone has been with them but it works for me fine. regards

16. Mover

Mover Registered Member

One of the factors in remaining anonymous is to blend in with the 'crowd'.

It would be interesting to find out how many customers, on average, are using the vpn provider's service at any given point in time.

17. mirimir

AirVPN reports that: https://airvpn.org/status/

I'm not aware that others do (but haven't checked lately).

18. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@mirimir:
    could you post screenshots of ivpn's client (all available tabs) if possible?
    p.s.:i'm aware of the fact that you don't use third party client software for vpn connection. but given the fact that you're somewhat related to ivpn, i thought maybe you could.

19. imdb

imdb Registered Member

out of these three vpn service providers which do you think is the best for accessing geo-restricted sites such as hulu, netflix, etc. when overseas? (i used several vpn services and had blacklisted ip issues with almost all of them. so it's a major factor for the service provider not to have blacklisted ip pool and to provide fresh ip's frequently.)

ivpn, private internet access, airvpn
    tia

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  20. imdb

imdb Registered Member

afaik, cyberghost vpn's client software does that as a built-in feature.

21. imdb

imdb Registered Member

btw i think it's a good idea that we start a new sticky thread where screenshots of all available vpn service providers' client software are posted and updated when necessary. what do you guys think?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Check to see if screenshots are copyrighted before posting.

23. imdb

imdb Registered Member

will do. thanks.

24. osalnuga

I am using IVPN and Vikingvpn . The latter has no client software , but it works fine in linux ubuntu dns no leaks and does its job quickly. IVPN works fine under Windows 7/8. Their privacy policies and strong encryption did try both with good results in both cases .

25. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

imdb,

Not trying to be a "buzz kill" but geo avoidance for hulu etc changes by the day. It only takes one Admin or a commercial site they pay to monitor/blacklist an IP range and then ANY vpn provider won't work. I can't tell if you reside "state side" or live overseas. If state side just throw up a personal server on your home ISP account. You can use any vpn to connect to it from overseas, but the services (like Hulu and others) will see the IP of your state side ISP. Works like a champ and no security risk since you are the only one using the server (secured of course).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.