Paid Security Suite vs Free Layered protection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-avast! Antivirus (Free)
    -Sandboxie (Free)
    -Comodo IS
    -WinPatrol (Free)
    -Returnil (Free)
    ------------------------------
    Can offer a High-Security Level. :thumb:

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Just avast, sandboxie, returnil = better than any paid product around. :p

3. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

The average user is NOT gonna like Comodo IS or Returnil.

4. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

agree ... though i relly like them but yeah i hardly see normal users installing these

5. carat

carat Guest

LOL :D :thumb:

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I know many Average Users who have managed to stay Malware-Free by just using Sandboxie (Free) and Returnil (Free).
    -Average Users who No Longer wish to Spend their money on expensive Internet Security Suites.
    -Average Users who No Longer wish to Rely on Anti-Malware Scanners (even the Free ones).

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Wanna bet?! I've got a few people using nothing but Returnil free version with Malwarebytes and nothing else,been trouble free for years!

8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

The fact is that average users never heard of products like Returnil, Sandboxie or HIPS type of programs. It is not even relevant whether they like that type of programs, or whether they can handle that kind of programs, they simply don't know they exist.

9. century

century Registered Member

Fully agree with this view. I am using free AV for a long time with other products & so far my luck has held.

10. Someheresomethere

Uhm, I don't think most average users have either the time or patience to be careful about saving the documents they make in the right place to avoid them being swept away at the next reboot. Nevermind lockups or crashes that require one, or new software installations. It's too much of a hassle.

11. xandros

xandros Registered Member

avast antivirus free = safe web web rep + real time scan + sandbox + mail shield + p2p shield + web shield + im shield + network shield + script shield + behavior shield + site blocking + silent game mode

if i forget something tell me plz :D

all of this in free antivirus AVAST FREE Antivirus

i forget to tell you its more light than any paid antivirus
    the range of detect virus between 98% to 99%

so its strong to stop virus

i like to say that norton internet security 2011 also i like it

12. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Those are most likely not average users then, or have been well educated for using those programs. I also know some close-to-average users having nothing else than Win7 firewall and a router and they've stayed clean. I personally didn't even know about Returnil before I started reading these forums (although I'd consider myself a very advanced user).
    Not yet. Also the sandbox will depend on their heuristics, and will most likely let lots of malware through (like other similar solutions). The rest are just pretty much normal AV components. Although that seems like a long list of features, many other AVs do the same with only one component (for example KAV Web Antivirus equals P2P Shield, Web shield, Script shield, and possibly even Network shield).

While free programs would protect me just as well as (if not better than) KIS does atm, I use it because it's quicker to setup, update, and use than multiple programs. Although it's heavy even for a suite, it runs faster (for me) than multiple applications covering different layers, and everything's integrated so I don't have to answer multiple pop-ups for the same threat from multiple apps etc. Other suites would do the same thing, expect that they don't have a similar 'quiet' HIPS (having a HIPS is just my preference).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  13. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

I am one of the average user but why I heard of Returnil,Sandboxie,HIPS(DefenseWall HIPS,Comodo FW HIPS,Online Armor HIPS) and also Bot Hunter,Appguard,Spyshelter.....? I know I am asking a stupid question,Hehe:D

14. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

I agree that on an older pc, you might get some lag if using G Data...but any newer pc should show little, if any effect. Runs light as a feather on my 4-yr old Dell XPS 410.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

1. Safe Web Rep: Isn't going to make a bit of difference just yet, too new.

2. Real-time scan: Well I'd hope so.

3. Sandbox: Too new, no one is sure about it yet. Frankly it annoys me.

4. Mail shield: Useless if you use web mail, and you can scan whatever files you get through there anyway, whether the shield is on or off.

5. P2P shield: Same deal, files can still be scanned regardless, and, if it's detectable, Avast will catch it and toss it in the chest, whether the shield is on or not.

6. Web Shield: Nice to have.

7. Network Shield: Well, of course.

8: Script Shield: Useful.

9. Behavior Shield: Is it working yet?

10: Site blocking: So?

11: Silent Game mode: Or, for best results while playing games, turn your AV off. All it does is prevent update and detection sounds/pop-ups from coming through.

So far in that package we have 3 unknowns, 4 things that aren't needed, and the rest that are either going to be there obviously or are good to have. Light is a matter of personal opinion, the 98-99% detection rate (which is actually a bit high, if I remember the last few reports out that rated them slightly lower), will change often, as will the detection rate of most other AVs. Btw, I'm a proud Avast user, so no, I'm not flaming them. Just putting my two cents in.

16. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Indeed, all the following shields: P2P shield, mail shield, web shield, are just to find malware earlier in the process of infection, which makes removal/prevention easier.

The network shield does scan block url's known for hosting malware.

The script shield is a nice addition.

Silent gaming mode and website blocking don't really have anything to do with protection against malware, also it is ofcourse nice for a free product to have that kind of features. However in my eyes it is useless to name a function silent gaming mode, just delay tasks when in full-screen applications does the job nicely.

The behavior shield and autosandboxing yet have to proof their efficiency, even avast! themselves admitted that it will take some time to gather information to make them actually improve protection.

My opinion: I don't care about giving all kind of functions/features a name, it is just a marketing trick and doesn't give any guarantees about better protection. I prefer a perfectly integrated solution like ESET.

About AVG and webprotection: the free product has AVG LinkScanner which performs the following two tasks:
    1. scan search results (for the popular search engines) for url's known for hosting malware;
    2. scan all webpages in realtime for exploits.

The paid products have the Online Shield, which also performs two tasks:
    1. scan all http traffic in realtime for malware;
    2. scan Instant Messaging traffic (for the popular IM applications) for malware.

17. searaider

searaider Registered Member

Many computer users don't even dream there are many more security programs besides antivirus

18. xandros

xandros Registered Member

the free antivirus excellent and no need to pay money

Attached Files:

• aaa.jpg
      aaa.jpg
      File size:
      84 KB
      Views:
  19. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

As has been already said, many of those don't give that much more protection, and lots of other AVs don't list, for example script shield and web shield seperately. It looks like just a marketing trick. Not flaming avast (it is IMO one of the best free AVs available), but just having more features listed doesn't make it better. Spotlighting one product also isn't the point of this topic.

20. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Around here, mention security and you hear AVG free and, now and then, Norton. A firewall is Windows firewall. AVG free is far and away the most common. Nothing else from the 'average' user in my area.

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think you already went over that :D

22. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

CIS ver5(minus the AV) + PrevxSOL facebook edition + Avira Personal (or AvastFree) :) light and effective.

Panda yes definitely. Avast...hmmm..sometimes depending on the issue.

23. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hey:D I did that last year on my old pc:D ! Yeah it works:D

24. Someheresomethere

My machines' a 3.0 GHz C2D with 4GB of RAM and the lag with G-Data vs other single engine avs is pretty noticeable here.

25. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

2.4 GHz C2D with 6GB RAM here...maybe the extra RAM makes the difference?
    I was surprised by G Data's lack of impact when I first test-drove it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.