pagefile.sys and other questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by peterfoxTI, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterfoxTI

peterfoxTI Registered Member

Is there a way to skip pagefile.sys when creating an image? That seems to be a waste of storage space in 99.999% situations. There might be also other files to skip, but this one is obvious.

I have observed a problem when trying to restore an image. Not all directories are showing up from my source location (remote share).

And the last one. Is there a way to force TI to take the sector-by-sector image of the whole disk? (like formatted NWFS or other exotic formats, or for forensic purposes)?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

Actually, right now you cannot skip some files as Acronis True Image does sector-based back-ups not file-based back-ups.

You can simply choose no compression for Acronis True Image to make a sector-by-sector image.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

3. peterfoxTI

I thought that sector-by-sector imaging has nothing to do with ability to compress read data.
    I have imaged my whole 20GB disk (2 partitions) with "no compression" option and got 2.4GB TID file. Are you saying that all disk sectors were stored in the image?
    When I say sector-by-sector disk image, I mean that I expect all disk sectors, allocated and unallocated to present file systems, to be included in the image. Using "no compression" option, did I got them or not?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Acronis True Image images only data, not the free space. Though if the filesystem appears to be unknown to Acronis True Image it does a real sector-by-sector image including the free space etc. At the moment there is no way to *force* it to do so if the filesystem is recognized and errorless.
    We plan to add such a feature in one of the future builds/versions of the product.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

5. peterfoxTI

Thank you for clarification. That means (at present) True Image cannot be used for forensic or data recovery purposes.
    I hope to see an option to image whole disk on sector-by-sector basis soon.

I would like also to see an option to exclude well known swap files from the image. That would improve overall efficiency (time and space) of True Image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.