Page Rendering Problem:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wtsinnc, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello;

I'm hoping to get some help in solving a problem with page rendering in Windows.
    First, some background;

I am currently running XP, but the problem occurs in W2K, Vista, and Windows 7 as well as XP.

The problem occurs with a screen resolution of 800x600 and started only recently. The problem does not occur with a screen resolution of 1024x768 or higher.

I have made no hardware changes prior to or following the problem first becoming manifest, and I have made no known changes to any video settings that could cause this problem.

The problem is that on a few pages, one side of the web page is "cropped" or cut off. This happens within a website; in other words, the previous and following pages may or may not exhibit the same characteristic(s).

The first two screenshots are from www.dell.com, the last two are from www.amazon.com.
    As you can see, the left side of the first dell page is cropped on the left side, the second page from the Dell website is a direct link and displays properly.

The last two screenshots (Amazon.com) show first, proper rendering, then the next page is cropped on the right side.

ScreenHunter_02 Jun. 14 06.48.gif

ScreenHunter_03 Jun. 14 06.48.gif

ScreenHunter_04 Jun. 14 06.49.gif

ScreenHunter_05 Jun. 14 06.49.gif

Because of somewhat poor eyesight, I really need to use 800x600 resolution.
    Again, this is a fairly recent problem.

Any ideas on what's going on and how to fix the problem ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Addenda: I should have also stated that this problen takes place when using IE 7, IE 8, Opera, and Chrome but NOT when using Firefox or K-Meleon.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. axial

axial Registered Member

Have you recently installed a different mouse, perhaps -- or installed a different mouse driver -- which has the feature to hold down the Control button and use the wheel to enlarge or reduce the size of the current window? I'm wondering if this resize function is somehow being triggered when you move from one page to the next. Or maybe your mouse or just the wheel itself is getting worn out and it's erratically triggering the change. I'd try a different mouse as my first test -- be sure do a cold boot to clean out lurking electrical signal gremlins particularly if you use a USB mouse.

3. wtsinnc

Hi axial, and thanks for the reply.

I'm using the same (USB) mouse that I've always used, have not installed new/updated drivers for the mouse or keyboard, and have made no changes to my video card or monitor.

I have not added any new hardware.

I have tried disabling my pop-up blocker and IE7Pro with it's adblocker,

I have reinstalled Windows XP from scratch three times.

The exact same effect occurs in XP Pro and XP Home.

As stated in my original post, the problem also shows up in Windows 2000, Vista (Ultimate), and Windows 7 RC-1.

This started about six weeks ago and has remained regardless of my operating system, third party software, or web browser except that the problem is not manifest using Gecko Engine browsers Firefox and K-Meleon or a video resolution greater than 800x600.

The problem is random, yet constant (if that makes any sense).
    The effected pages are always the same, and those that I have found reside inside of websites where none of the other pages are effected.

I'm completely stumped !

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

wtsinnc, I believe that's the key to solving your problem. What happened 6 weeks ago? Is that when you first switched to an 800 x 600 resolution? Or did something else happened?

Unfortunately, Webmasters (myself included) are not designing sites anymore at that lower resolution these days. The w3cschools.com Web Statistics and Trends page shows that 57% of computers are using resolutions higher than 1024 pixels wide x 768 pixels high as of Jan 2009. With that in mind, I took a brief look at the HTML code on the Dell site and it's a liquid design, meaning: the contents stretch to fill a browser's window. This Wilders' site is also a liquid design.

Without getting too complicated, your first Dell page is a table design, set at a 100% width, yet the mastheadcontainer div (top of page, from the American flag to the Cart link) is set at 965 pixels wide, so at a resolution of 800 pixels wide, something has to break thus the "cropped" look. The reason why the second Dell page does not break is that it is a PDF page and the Adobe Reader makes it fit within any browser window's size. In comparison, Wilders is set at 93% width and that's why you see a space in both the left and right margins as not to break the design. I don't have the time to look at the Amazon site but I can see that it's also a liquid design.

My suggestion: go back to a 1024 x 768 resolution and try the free Virtual Magnifying Glass screen magnifier. There's also a Portable Version, courtesy of PortableApps.com. If you can't find or don't know what happened 6 weeks ago, this software could be the answer to an eyesight problem.

5. wtsinnc

JRViejo;

Thanks for your reply and for the good information.

to answer your question;
    About six weeks ago is when I first began to experience this problem.
    I have been using 800x600 screen resolution for years.

Now, if I may ask one more question;
    Why don't I experience the problem using Firefox or K-Meleon ?

I downloaded the Viryual Magnifying Glass application and tried it, but as of now believe I will be better served using Firefox or K-Meleon exclusively from now on.

Again, thanks !

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

wtsinnc, don't use K-Meleon, but I can tell you that when designing a site, I always look at it with Firefox first, because it's one of the most W3C standards complaint browsers. With IE, you have to hack the HTML code to make it look like FF. Sorry to hear that VMG did not work for you and you can't go wrong sticking with FF or K-Meleon. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.