packet sniffers

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chris2busy, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

hello...i would like to hear recommendations about such programms..i had recently cleaned my sister's laptop but i have no idea if the cleaners actually deleted the bad guys so i would like to check any outbound packets..

and please if u know any that would be not to hard to understand since i rarely have over 20 mins free time :/
    thanx in advance

2. Dogtag

Dogtag Registered Member

Hi chris

Wire Shark is a good place to start.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Wireshark would certainly be the right solution if you're after packet "sniffing" (checking packet header & contents), but if you simply wish to check if the outbound connections are made then freebies like TCPview or CurrPorts would suffice.
    Also, keep in mind that the possible leftover "bad guys" would want to do other things except calling out.

4. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

i am aware but as i said my time is limited and its easier to create a few firewall rules than do some hours of cleaning or even formatting(my sis would kill me if i even dared to suggest format).

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You can't trust the sniffing done on a suspect machine. Malware may have hooked/patched the network stack.
    You should sniff from a clean machine.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

You might try running Gmer, its a root kit detector. Honestly, to me packet sniffing seems like a round about means of detection.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You could try tcpdump, wireshark, weplab...
    Mrk

8. daniel2007

daniel2007 Registered Member

I like and use Microsoft Network Monitor v3.1 (free) and Wireshark (free) and use both of them to do just what you are suggesting.

ZoneAlarm (free) basic firewall will also serve as a "sniffer" of sorts by doing this: run your machine as usual, connect to the net as usual and then click on the ZA "engage internet lock" feature. Within seconds you will see all the programs that are already dialing out and those that do so on an occasional basis. Additionally you can see the full path and allow "lock pass" for those that are safe. It's a good way to audit your i/o traffic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.