P2P defendants told they can't remain anonymous in court

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

P2P defendants told they can't remain anonymous in court.

-- Tom

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

This isn't a group of secret agents with sensitive information. If they want to join in the fray, they'll play by the same rules we all do. Courts are public affairs. I hope they jail this woman by the way, she deserves it just for being so completely, ridiculously stupid.

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Did anyone read that handwritten note? It said "dynamite IP address." LOL, yeah that's one explosive IP! ;)

The problem I have with these charges is 1) the courts are only doing it because the MAFIAA pays them and the Congress and 2) there is no way to prove who did what. IP addresses don't mean much and are not as good as, say, a DNA sample or a fingerprint in other crimes.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It doesn't matter, Chrono. Currently under the U.S administration and an increasing number of other countries, the "crime" of infringement is both broad in definition and is pursued to a greater extent than the majority of "standard" crimes. As it stands, I can break into your house, take many possessions, and, as long as I don't harm you or your family, get a lighter sentence and/or a MUCH smaller fine than if I got caught downloading any number of the most popular music albums or films. When that can happen, there is a very serious problem with the legal system, no matter what country you reside in.

5. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

You're preaching to the choir. It all has to do with money. The MAFIAA and their ilk spend big money lobbying Congress for these laws.

6. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

It's not just the USA. It's just one aspect of global corporate domination, furthered via the World Trade Organization.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And the U.N. Don't forget that they come up with these ideas just as often. It's for sure about money, but it's also about control. Everything we're seeing now has been floating around in the heads of the power players for decades, but the technology and the global economic issues just weren't quite there. Now though, everything is in place, including the right people, and we're getting a glimpse at what is coming.

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Meh, once upon a time, the concept of "I'll keep my money, you'll keep your content" meant something. Now it's "I'll keep my money, your content, AND I'm the helpless oppressed victim here". Aww. Sympathy hug.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, it must be so hard to be these guys. I feel terrible for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.