Owning marijuana stocks may skunk your security clearance or chances of getting one

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hawki, Feb 27, 2019.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"If you work for the Defense Department, owning one of the most talked about and potentially lucrative stocks on the market may put your job in jeopardy.

The DoD Consolidated Adjudications Facility’s current legal position is that ownership of marijuana stocks is considered involvement in drug-related activities, and would be a “reportable incident” under the continuous evaluation process. Potentially, it could lead to the loss of security clearances for service members, contractors and DoD civilians.

Owning the stocks could prevent someone from gaining a security clearance as well..."

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/defe...security-clearance-or-chances-of-getting-one/

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

What if I would own a stock of company producing Ibuprofenum?

3. itman

itman Registered Member

Prior to retirement, I had a top secret clearance but with a different U.S. gov. agency. I must say this is a bit far fetched as what is examined under clearance renewal reevaluation. If DoD does indeed have a "continuous" evaluation process, it is something I never heard of. Now if your arrested or even something like filing bankruptcy (like that one), it could affect your current clearance status. But as far as stock ownership goes, I have never heard of that ever being examined.

Also note there are many levels of security clearance ranging from classified material handling to crypto level. The requirements get more stringent at each subsequent higher clearance level.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.