OVPN, the Swedish company

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by razorboy, Nov 9, 2023.

1. razorboy

razorboy Registered Member

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I guess it depends what you want from it? Where are you located? Without knowing that, I can say it is a bit lacking in a very important feature; proxy binding. Some VPNs like Mullvad, IVPN, and hide.me offer proxy binding, which is an internal address (10.x.x.x) that points to the VPN. The app only works when the VPN is up and running. Think of it like a safety net against drops. I saw no mention of such feature listed in their info. To me, that's very important. I suggest you go with one of the ones I mentioned, because they all have everything I saw ovpn has and then some.

3. razorboy

I.m in Canada for now. I won't need the VPN very much, only for a limited amount of surfing, mostly newspapers and search. I suppose that split tunneling is the answer to the on-off switch requirement.

4. n8chavez

Split tunneling is great, an allows you to exclude apps from using the vpn, but it will do nothing to force apps to only use it. In the event of a drop, your real info is still going to be exposed. Get on with a killswitch and local soscks5 to prevent that.

5. razorboy

I should have added that I am on Windows 7, which is limiting, not all VPNs allow. If W7 becomes unworkable some day, I'll do Linux.

6. n8chavez

If that's the case, why not just bypass the app altogether and just but the vpn on a router? It would be just as effective.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.