Overriding the old Differential bakup.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kut, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kut

kut Registered Member

Hello i want to create one fulll backup and a weekly or daily differential backup. This differential backup schould overwrite the the old diff. backup but aconis true image echo makes a new file: bakup1, backup2, backup3, and so on. I want to have ONE full and one DIfferential Backup in a Folder not 200 in one year!
    We store 80 Workstation in this way so the Size would be to uge.

Please help me and sorry for my bad english

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Because of the nature of DIFF backups, you will eventually wind up with a DIFF almost as big as the FULL. Normally, each DIFF will get bigger than the last.

“This differential backup should overwrite the the old diff.”
    No, it shouldn’t and it won’t. :D This gives you the ability to restore from a number of different points in time.

Although I think your strategy is flawed to begin with, you might look into pre/post commands to delete the existing DIFF prior to beginning each DIFF backup.

3. kut

kut Registered Member

thanks for your answer but i dont have to choose from a number of backups because 3 times a week i save the backups on a tape libary.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Sorry, you've lost me now.

5. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

You can set Backup Location rules for maximum number of archives but I don't know how it deals with differential archives that exceed the threshold(whether it deletes the oldest differential or the whole set).

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The User Guide could definitely be clearer on this point. As with incs, it should try to consolidate the oldest set into a full--which can add a lot of time to a backup task. If there is not room enough for that, then it will delete oldest file. The full of the oldest set would be the oldest single file in the dir, so it would be deleted, the diff/inc would be orphaned and essentially useless. If a set has been consolidated and then needs to be deleted, then, of course, the whole file is deleted.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kut,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

We may recommend you the following setup that will allow you to keep original full and one latest differential backup at all times:

Set a scheduled task to create a differential backup to existing full one. In the task setup specify a pre command to rename/move the existing differential backup (it will always have the same name), and a post command to delete the renamed/moved file if the new backup was successful. This will ensure that at any point you have a good full backup and a good differential one. Please see chapter "pre/post commands" of the respective User's Guide for more information.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. orlcam88

orlcam88 Registered Member

Sorry for jumping in but I'm looking for these commands also. The user manual you directed us to only shows this:

5.3.3 Pre/post commands
    You can specify commands or batch files to be automatically executed before and after the backup procedure. For example, you may want to remove some tmp files from the disk before starting backup or configure a third-party antivirus product to be started each time before the backup starts. Click Edit to open the Edit Command window where you can easily input the command, its arguments and working directory or browse folders to find a batch file.

how is this suppose to help? What are the commands that can be entered?

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello orlcam88,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

We may recommend you to have a look at this thread. For details on batch file commands you may use this site or any similar one.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.