Over 50% of PC's could be disabled in the near future!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bob Wing, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Read the pdf. Can't add too much. Convincing the public is a hard sell. Somethings are even a hard sell here. Going to download the software and take a look.

Reading the documentation it suggests no VMs' Time to run is in the hours. I have to pass

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It is an interesting idea, but people have no interest in repairing anything, they prefer to buy the new one instead and companies heavily encourage that behaviour like iPhone or Samsung recently, who intentionally slow down old phones with software updates to force people to buy new ones, not like people would keep using the same one for more than a year anyway.
    To put it bluntly, your business model has no future. I would love to see one common user willing to spend more than 5 mins trying to fix a problem, it is easier to just pay to have it fixed.
    My mother can not even maximize the browser (a bug in 1809), so she just watches videos and webpages in a small window, until I do it. Most average users are pretty much the same.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Exactly. Anyone willing to put in hours & hours is either tight on money or has a thirst for knowledge. OP won't get a dime from these folks. If in this situation the problem can be solved 99.999% by searching Google.

Others will buy a new PC or pay someone in meat space to fix it.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Sure there is! Nuke Windows, and install Debian or whatever.

I have never had a Linux machine infected. Or at least, not with anything that I could detect.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

... Yawn. :rolleyes:

I'm too lazy to even download the PDF. Does that make my machines in the high risk category?

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yep, me neither. That's my solution, nuke Windows and install Ubuntu in my case. In fact, the Lenovo laptop I'm writing this on was purchased with Ubuntu pre-installed on it. I didn't even have to nuke Windows. Although, that is always fun lol.

7. Bob Wing

Bob Wing Registered Member

Actually this is exactly the reason I came to your forum. Our software is FREE and it does fix disabled, badly infected and slow Windows computers. We can even fix no boot and blue/black screens with the bootable CD/USB option. Literally I have fixed about 80% of the disabling non hardware issues. Your group is very astute. We protect your personal data if your a novice and fix disabling problems saving your computer from the landfill and allowing you to retrieve your pics etc. There is value in that..... oh and we are FREE. How do you get that message to propagate? The crooks are just going to get more sophisticated and once your personal information is stolen you cant get it back.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I just brushed my teeth & I'm drinking orange juice.

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

You are still not approaching the issue from the right angle.
    What you're doing here is basically using misinformation to attract attention. All security vendors are in this business for the money, not because they feel an unexplainable urge to protect our a**** for FREE. But that's not the point.

You see, when you claim something, you need to support that claim with evidence. The bigger the claim, the more convincing your proof must be. This is just how things are, and have been since the stone age.
    Spurting out big unsubstantiated claims is not the best way to start a trust relationship with your customers.
    Just sayin.

10. Socio

Socio Registered Member

I would say there is some cause for alarm due to the fact that malware is becoming more sophisticated and incorporating the use of AI. This will take the malware threat to a whole new level, one where it could infect millions and millions of systems without being detected because of its ability to rapidly mutate, perhaps even mimic safe apps, fooling application monitoring/guarding anti-malware software until it is to late.

11. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Good grief, the article is obvious. Lots of alarming sentences ending in "!" marks and you can be saved by using our product ...:rolleyes:

12. Seer

Seer Registered Member

The document just looks like a child of 15 made it. I mean, visually.
    Contents...

[EDIT] I have to admit here, I already knew what my comment will be as soon as I saw that title. But I justhought it would be at least fair to read the document first.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I also read it first before posting my comment.

14. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

As happy as I am to have left Windows behind, it's my impression that Microsoft has done a decent job of securing Windows. Back in the day, most people hit the Internet directly, not through routers, and new installs frequently got pwned, soon after going online. As I recall, most Internet-connected Windows systems were eventually pwned.

But of course, malware wasn't as evil as it is now. It was mostly adware, right? And botnets, for spamming. But there were no crypters. Perhaps the occasional file wiper, but that was rare. And still, most Internet-connected Windows systems were at least somewhat disabled. Busy, working for spammers etc.

So anyway, I'd say that PCs are generally in better shape now, vs a decade or two ago.

15. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

They are definitely in better shape today, Windows 10 has some really neat security features like memory integrity and core isolation. The latter for some reason refuses to enable on my computer, but still.

Edge uses AppContainer and ESET last year said there are no wild exploits of Edge, at all. Says a lot of the security imprevements since IE6!

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Bob Wing I'm trying now. While I have no specific need for this software, I thought I'd give it a try. At first I couldn't run it due to having a dual boot system, so I deleted the extra partitions, leaving me with a single install of Windows 10, which allowed it to run. I found a bug. After it had rebooted into Safe Mode with Networking, it needed to download some files. However, it was unable to do so, as when I boot into safe mode, I do not have an internet connection until I manually connect to a wireless network. Your software showed an alert about the lack of internet access, but this was visible as the main LikeNEWPC window sits on top of everything else.

I only saw the alert when, I pressed the Windows key to see what was going on, as the repairs had been taking a long time. In my case, I had no internet connection when I manually connected to my wireless network, due to my VPN blocking network access when it's not running. I exited your software and let it boot Windows normally and disabled my VPN's kill switch. After doing that, I did have internet access in Safe Mode, after manually connecting. I like that when I booted to Windows to fix the VPN issue, LikeNEWPC ran and gave me the option to boot to Safe Mode and start the repairs again.

17. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just found another issue too. The download of malware scanners did not complete, but it did start the malware scan anyway. It would have been nice to have had the option to retry the download. When it LikeNEWPC tried to launch ESET, it failed with an error, as it hadn't been downloaded. As before, the error window was hidden behind the main window. So it was waiting for me to dismiss the error, but I did not know this when it happened as according the main window, the malware scans were still running. If I hadn't open the Start Menu to take a look at what was going on, which was when I saw the extra icon in the task bar, I would have had no reason to believe the scans had stopped.

It's look like you need to a fair bit of work yet on your software.

Edit: I just got another error in the final stages. I was not able to read what the error was, since the main window stays on stop of everything else. As with the last error, I clicked on it in the task bar, to make the window active (even though not visible) and the pressed the space bar to dismiss it. I'm quite surprised that this has not been released as a beta version. Although to be honest, I'd usually expect beta versions of software to run much better than this.

If nothing more, I do like the concept of your software.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.