Over 5 million Social Security numbers exposed in Kansas breach

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hawki, Jul 20, 2017.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Over 5 million Social Security numbers exposed in Kansas breach: report

A breach of a Kansas Department of Commerce system exposed more than 5 million Social Security numbers to hackers, according to a report from a local news outlet.

The Kansas News Service obtained information through a public records request that revealed that roughly 5.5 million Social Security numbers from individuals in 10 states were accessed in the data breach in March...

The data is managed by a division of the department called America’s Job Link Alliance-TS that helps job seekers across 16 states find employment...

The department had previously acknowledged that the breach exposed about half a million accounts of Kansas users which included Social Security numbers..."

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecu...over-5-million-social-security-numbers-report

2. itman

itman Registered Member

I really don't get excited anymore about SSN breaches. The past U.S. government Office of Personnel Management(OPM) breach exposed many millions more.

There is one positive from these government agency breaches, you will get free theft identity protection for many years. South Carolina had one many years ago and I still get free protection because of that.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

@itman correct as usual:

"Hackers Of Kansas System Accessed Social Security Numbers Of Millions In 10 States

Hackers who breached a Kansas Department of Commerce data system used by multiple states gained access to more than 5.5 million Social Security Numbers and put the agency on the hook to pay for credit monitoring services ** for all victims..."

http://kcur.org/post/hackers-kansas...-security-numbers-millions-10-states#stream/0

**Assuming the generic reference to credit monitoring includes ID Theft Protecion as was/is the case in The OPM breach.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  4. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Just for the heck of it I did a google search for my SSN.
    At my age it may make no difference.

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Here's an easy way to get SSN hacked. Although many states no longer do this, check your driver's license and see if your SSN number printed on it.

If anyone asks for your SSN, by default deny to give it. Only banks, employers, and select gov. agencies can require it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.