Outpost Security Suite FREE

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MinDokan, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Maybe they never heard of Comodo. :argh: Back on topic, it's really not a bad suite. I tried it for a few days and it worked ok. I really like their UI over the other competitors. They have fixed that disk I/O issue. It's not as bad as before. Not sure how much I like the AV part of it. So I switched back to my current setup.

Ice

2. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

And the restriction to update just once a day,even manually....that's sick.Why i would install on my machine such a crap suite than didn't offer me the definitions updates as Avira,Avast or AVG free?Ok,fine with me about automatic updates,i can understand this for a free program.But to not let me update manually??

3. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Have you actually tried it and confirmed that it only updates once daily and doesn't allow manual updates?

If so this is a very bad weakness since malware outbreaks happen all the time.
    You already had your daily update and few hours later a new malware breaks out in the wild but Outpost makes you wait the next day to get the update??

Meanwhile you can get the infection, I don't call that a quote: "Free Complete Internet Security Suite".

It should support critical updates anytime and on-demand manual updates anytime like Avira Free.

I haven't tried the free security suite yet, I was waiting on users feedback first. However I really like Outpost Free Firewall, runs excellent on Win7, much better than the Pro version that has their in house Antispyware which I don't like completely unnecessary if you have a good real-time AV. The only thing that I hate about Outpost Free Firewall is the fact they don't update often enough about every year or so. I wished their was a way to install the program minus the AV module. Does anyone know if it is compatible with Avast?

Thanks.:)

4. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

[MOVE]Happy Thanksgiving ;)[/MOVE]

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Is Outpost Firewall Free now discontinued? I notice it's still available on some of the download sites, but not from Agnitum themselves....

6. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Right here
    http://free.agnitum.com/download.php

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, sometime ago I sent an e-mail to Agnitum due to some other matter, but I did ask them about any future releases of their free firewall, and they mentioned they had plans, just not a release date.

I'm wondering if the free suite is what they had in mind; most likely, though.

9. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I have a copy if you need the older version of free?
    64 or 32 bit

10. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

thank you ')

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hey, that's great. I did find a copy on MajorGeeks, but I dont' know if it's x64 or 32. I do need x64.

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

13. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

If you cant find a copy let me know and I will
    upload it for you and pm the link..anytime G.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks hayc59, I appreciate that. I'll see what I can find first.....

16. smage

smage Registered Member

Hello just to clarify matters, Comodo AntiSpam and Comodo Backup are available as free stand alone products and they have not been integrated into the suite as no one want a bloated software.

Regards

17. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Yes.When you try to update manually......see the screenshot.

Attached Files:

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The core of any "suite" has always been the firewall and AV. Of course they often add on other various minor features like antispam etc. But the nuts and bolds of a suite are the AV and firewall. That's how it's always been. So I'd say they were not quite accurate in claiming to be the first free suite. IMHO anyhow...

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

In case anyone is interested, I did find the x64 version of Outpost Firewall Free. However, when trying to install it on Win 7 x64, it comes up with an error box and says Windows 7 is not supported in the free version. So it looks like one has to run the Free Suite if you're on Win 7. I'll give that another try here soon.

20. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

This suite seems to work fine here. Might stick to this one for now.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  21. littlebits

Of coarse you can get stand-alone free anti-spam from several difference sources, but the common term "Complete Internet Security Suite" has been associate with including Anti-Spam. That's not my definition, it is what you will find at many security sites. "Complete" to myself and many others means protection from all the different ways you can get infected. Many security suites include many extra features for privacy, backup, parental controls, system optimization, etc. But these extra features have nothing to do with protection from malware and usually bloat the suite big time.

Most advanced users like myself simply don't need anti-spam because we have moved away from using email clients. Why bother when Gmail and other web-base email already have spam protection?

Still a vast majority of users still use email clients and need anti-spam.
    I wasn't too long ago, I read a article and it said about 85% of all malware comes from spam emails. Most of these are the novice users who click on those links and get infected.

So the users who need this protection the most are the novice users.
    That's why Norton Security Suite and others include anti-spam, they tend to lean more towards the novice users who need the protection the most.

It just very plan and simple: the novice users are the ones that need the best protection. Novice users are the largest group that get infections and spread infections to others. But most security suites are so complex that they don't help these novice users.

Thanks.:)

22. littlebits

Thanks for the screenshot JoeBlack40.

I just wonder even if you get your daily update, will they still provide you with critical updates for outbreaks in the wild? If not then I just wouldn't trust the AV component.

Thanks again.:)

23. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

Outpost Security Suite has this year consistently passed the VB100 'in the wild' certification. it's a combination of the virus buster engine (just updated in the latest OP release, with agnitum's heuristics and anti-spyware engine added. they usually update at least daily (they do have occasional glitches with the clustered server farm & overloads - usually on week ends when the staff is not working full time (they do have on-calls)).

i use the pro suite, to get the missing bits, so i am not sure about the free versions timing. i update hourly as i have an always on adsl connection. of course, if they have not updated the server yet, the hourly check says i'm up to date.

they had to cut a few things in the free version, after all they want you to like it enough to buy the pro version to get the missing bits. if they don't make a profit, the company will not be around for long. if you want the missing bits, spend a bit of your beer money on pro instead. if you want basic no-frills all around protection, the free will cover it.

and i note they do not say it is the first suite, the key is the word 'complete' as noted, meaning including the anti-spam. OSS does include scanning of the email stream by the AV portion as well as anti-spam. i use thunderbird as my mail client, it has it's own baysian anti-spam i've trained over the years, so i have OSS's one turned off. between thunderbird and my mail providers anti-spam, i do not need Outposts version. it only works with outlook, outlook express, windows mail, and 'the bat' anyway.

24. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Registered Member

Here is a comparison chart comparing the free suite to other popular suites.

http://free.agnitum.com/why-outpost-security-free.php

I may get this. I do not like firewalls, I trust Sandboxie but my wife's pc blew up and she is using my desktop with an old XP - it was never on the net, it was a gaming machine. (meanwhile I am using my gaming laptop which is almost as good as my desktop - Tip, be nice to your wife)

So I need to install something on that machine, she's on the net a lot. Too bad I can't talk her into using Sandboxie.

25. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

[MOVE]Words of Warning[/MOVE]

I installed OSS via the link above. And I removed it later as I was not happy with it. Then I found the Windows Firewall would not start. I am not sure what the problem here is, I know windows firewall was on when OSS was on.

Another problem I had was that when I turned Windows Firewall on was I could not get access to the Internet and had to default the settings for it to allow access to the Internet, however once I rebooted the PC I was back to square one.

I am guessing that during the removal process, OSS did something to Windows Firewall. To cure these issues I ran a system restore.

W7 Premium 64x
    windows firewall
    Threatfire
    Avast Free

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.