Outpost Pro or Look 'n' Stop

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jon_fl, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomic

Atomic Registered Member

I would easily choose Outpost if it wasnt for the 30mb memory usage... And for some reason i didnt really like L'n'S so now i use 8signs and i dont have any trouble with it. ;)

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

But (a) 8Signs isn't on topic, and (b) it has no application control whatsoever, so it really doesn't compete with LNS.

3. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

I'm new to using Outpost, and I've often read that it uses excessive memory (34mb), but I have found that simply bringing the GUI into view and then closing it releases almost all of the memory. On my winxp setup, memory usage goes down to approximately 2mb and stays low.

Attached Files:

4. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

Similarly, Firefox, which also has a reputation for excessive memory usage, releases memory when it is minimized - in this screenshot from 40mb to 4mb.

Attached Files:

5. nameless

Windows itself gets the credit for that memory reclamation. Besides, is it really practical to manage memory by making a habit of showing and hiding GUIs?

6. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Not sure if aagfr means minimising OP or closing it. If I bring up task manager without launching the GUI then I always find very low resource usage with OP but launching the GUI causes it to go up to the 30Mb region which does not seem unreasonable to me considering the features the GUI gives you access to. I always close the GUI when I have finished with it so I know it always goes back down to low mem usage.

On my PC, during normal operation (without having GUI opened) OP resource usage is on a par with Kerio 2.1.5 - OP varies betwee 1.5-8meg while Kerio is 4-7meg, with only LnS coming in under - usually 0.8 - 4meg.

I have to say though that I am behind a router so my OP is not having to "work as hard" as those that are using OP or LnS as the primary FW.

7. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

LNS "unlimited" means that once bougth, you are never required to pay again, you can keep the version you bought, it will not expire or stop working, there is no year renewal money to pay.

Then about the upgrades, as written on their site it is free from 2.0x to 2.0y, which has always been the case for years since the 2.01 to the current 2.05.

regards,

gkweb.

8. Robertbb

Robertbb Registered Member

With OP it's minimizing then it will release the mem. The problem I've had with OP is it'll start at boot using 35+ meg and stay there until minimized. After awhile it'll jump...not creep...back up to 35+ meg and stay there until you've minimized it again. OP's a good firewall if you don't mind that one problem.

9. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I believe you can run the latest version of Outpost in BACKGROUND mode instead of NORMAL. This will pull about 8MB of RAM.

10. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I'm still a little confused on the term minimising. My view on minimising is the gui reverts to an icon on the task bar (and also has OP icon runing in systray) but the GUI in this mode is still operational, hence using the 30+meg of mem. If you close the GUI but leave Outpost running (just an icon in systray) then I find the mem usage low.

I haven't checked my own mem usage with the OP gui minimised to task bar, I'll try that tonight when I get home to see what mem usage I get compared to a full window.

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Can you show me where?

12. nameless

http://www.looknstop.com/En/download.htm

Sorry, but major version upgrades (i.e. 2.x to 3.x) are not free.

Edit: Frederic answered this question here.
    -

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  13. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

False advertisement if you ask me.

The only place you see that is under "Top 10 Reasons to choose Look 'n' Stop 2.05"
    What if you already read all other pages and decided you want LnS. You saw
    "# Automatically updates new releases.

# Unlimited licence (no yearly renewal)."

And were lead to believe that it automatically updates to new releases and you have an unlimited license.

Why would you read the "Top 10 Reasons to choose Look 'n' Stop 2.05"

It should say "minor updates of Look 'n' Stop 2.05 are also free." on the key features page.

14. Atomic

Atomic Registered Member

I will have to test it myself. If it really takes only 8 megs i might reconsider returning to Outpost...

15. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

More like 12 MB if mine's typical....

Blue

16. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I first came in touch with Look n Stop about 2 or 3 yrs ago > It was into the 2 version . Its only 2.5 now. In maybe 2 or 3 yrs it might hit 3 perhaps at this rate . $7per year for a top firewall is very tidy for my use.

17. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I agree :D
    Just feel that the LnS website is misleading.

18. nameless

Actually it's 2.05.

19. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

yeppers you are right! make that 0.50 cents a year at this rate :)

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I agree completely. It is bad enough that the poster felt it necessary to bad-mouth Outpost, but even worse that his critcisms were not even based upon fact.

21. Bonnie

Bonnie Registered Member

From what I've just seen on agnitum site, looks like there's a good offer on Outpost at the moment, for anyone who is using another paid-for firewall.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I believe that's their standard offer... Nice though...

23. Bonnie

Bonnie Registered Member

Expect you're right, Kerodo. Only been there a few times and only just noticed it. Almost makes me want to go out and buy something else, just to save money on it!

24. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I have also bought Outpost. LnS gave me a few problems with my ADSL connection doing absolutely nothing and no clue what to do. Outpost works without any problems and is also quite low on the memory. Only 4 to 5K.

And sorry to the people that thought that I was bad-mouthing Outpost... Never my intention.

25. cabville

cabville Guest

Just test them yourself. They both have 30 day trial versions. Neither firewall sinks its teeth into the system so they're easy to uninstall when your trial is completed. That's not true of every firewall but is with these two.

It's not just about which one is best but which one fits your needs the best. Every firewall has its strengths and weaknesses. Pick the one that fits your needs of the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.