Outpost Firewall Pro 7.0 (3371.514.1232) - Final

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AvinashR, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

It's good to finally see that they listen to their paid customers and made available an easy way to block the automatic phone-home to download their "Agnitum news". :rolleyes: I even got a pop up saying "Agnitum news downloaded", in case i had missed them. Nice touch of class!

I also particularly liked that while during installation i UNCHECKED the partecipation to the Agnitum community, once i installed, the partecipation was again checked.

The PC feels more sluggish, but overall seems better than v.6.

2. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Anyone care to put together a Pros & Cons list, as a past version comparative.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

for my excuse - i didnt wrote some word of that - i used directly the asterix *** ;)
    the bad word filter didnt fit here, was me. insert "blame" if you like...

@falkor
    ye "brother" - praise the lord - Halleluja :D

Uninstalling older - may wise if settings will be kept.
    otherwise export settings and import them again after fresh install.
    maybe hayc59 can advise us.

btw some backup/image might helpful if the upgrade fails.

4. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

Generally speaking upgrading over the older versions normally works very well. However, I never like to upgrade from any beta software as bugs may stay behind. A clean uninstall is always best there. I also prefer to do a clean install for major version changes just because of the you never know factor. I'd rather not have any remnants left behind to cause trouble even though upgrading over an old version generally is trouble free. It's easy enough to bring back the configuration file from a backup folder so you lose none of your settings. Even there, on major version changes, I redo my configuration on the principle that I'm fixing any mistakes I might have made and just a general review. Really there's quite a bit of latitude on how upgrading should be done. I've come to prefer the safest route even though that may take a little more time. I think in the long run it may save time.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

well said :)

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I detest "sluggish"!!!

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being "fast like before OP" & 1 being "dead stopped") where would you put your computer's "sluggishness index" when running OP?

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Manny,

Are you aware whether or not the issues many Outpost users were having with drivers afw.sys and sandbox.sys have been fixed?

8. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Brumm...I basically do the exact same thing as Manny
    a little more time consuming but better in the end ;)

9. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I don't know how relevant is my screenshot,but Outpost passed CLT for me.And PC Flank too.

Attached Files:

10. burebista

burebista Registered Member

Can you tell me what OS and what settings for Outpost? Thanks. :)
    Mine is Seven x64 and Outpost with Firewall-Rules Wizard and in Advanced is Block most at both settings, Anti Leak Protection is Advanced and System and App guard both enabled.

11. korben

korben Registered Member

Wish I could d/l it but it seems impossible grrr

link dead or?

12. burebista

burebista Registered Member

Try here. It seems that Agnitum webpages have some problems now.

13. korben

korben Registered Member

Just downloading from agnitum.

thanks

14. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Well, sluggishness, is also something subjective. But i am very sensitive to that, being a freak about lightness.

For explorer speed (navigating around folders), i 'd say 7 out of 10 (which is not bad for firewall with HIPS, but i 've seen better too in OA Free).
    For browsing speed 8-9 out of 10.

By 10 i intend my current setup which is superlight, as Avast hardly every uses the hard disk.

As soon as i installed Outpost i got a clear slowness in opening folders. That's the price for HIPS... You 're more secure, certainly, but all those modules do have a price.

On the other hand, on CPU usage under heavy load (p2p), there is an improvement, as now it takes 1-2% of CPU on my quad core, while it's running at 800Mhz with Cool N Quiet. Version 6 was doing worse in that. Of course then you have Win7 Firewall Control which stays at 0% most of the time, with rare peeks to 1%. But no HIPS...

15. Leach

Leach Registered Member

Seems like I experienced some ("unproved") web slow-donw while using OPF with a full version of MBAM with IP blocking on. Disabling web filtering within OPF cured the issue, while unchecking the MBAM' IP-blocking didn't. "Unprooved" is because I'm not sure whether on not it was a FW or some net instability but I encountered this a couple of times. And a veeery long uninstalling of OPFW took about two minutes.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I installed my copy of V7 and find that the Web Control is missing from the line up on the main My Security page, and the Web Control along with ID Blocker page is greyed out. I posted this on the OP forum, and it appears I'm not the only one. They better get this fixed and release an update with Web Control re- established. :mad:

17. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

I WANT FREE VERSION v7.............:'(

18. JoeBlack40

I'm on 7 ultimate x86 with exactly the same settings as you.Maybe bugs with x64 systems? o_O

19. JoeBlack40

Hey Nik,i can give you a key valid for aprox 70 days.After the license expires,all the features remain,only the auto updates are gone.;)

20. JoeBlack40

Happened to me too.Based on my experience,when i had installed NOD32 or KAV,and i installed after Outpost, Web control is grey out and not active,because of the "third parties software", Outpost consider an incompatibility.Try to install FIRST Outpost Fw,and after your current AV.I bet it works.I use too Avast 5.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That occurred to me too. I'm using Avast! V5 which has Web Shield, and I thought OP might have seen that and de-activated its Web Control because it might be redundant. I De-activated the Web Shield in Avast and re- installed OP, but no change. I'll keep your suggestion in mind. I'll bet it will work too. I have thought in the past when running OP V6 if the two web control/shields weren't too much of a good thing.
    My complaint is that OP should leave it up to me.

22. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Wow Thanks Friend. Can u plz send me a pm.:D

23. JoeBlack40

I forgot to mention that Avast is installed with all shields.As you,i don't know how much it helps me,the OP Web shield,but i like to have a software fully functional,and if i see some problems,i decide what i have to deactivate or not.
    PS.Your signature..(not about security :D ).....LOOOL

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  24. JoeBlack40

Check your PM Nik.Let me know if it works.

25. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

You don't need to reinstall avast or outpost to enable the web control
    http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/article.php?id=1000253&lang=en
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.