Outpost Firewall Pro 2009 (6.5.5. 2535.385.0692)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Antarctica, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I mind it. That's something for e-mails IMO.

2. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

It's quite obvious that you haven't used Outpost Pro :rolleyes: or read the above posts properly (as usual)
    Outpost does not not install a toolbar, let alone a third party one, it is simply a news 'caption' on the GUI and it is not a third party anything. Unless you open the GUI you never see anything, there is nothing intrusive at all. And when you install Outpost there is a pop-up in the bottom right hand corner of the screen in which you can tick a box 'do not show this message again' or very similar wording. I have always ticked it and have never had any more pop-ups except security related ones. As usual - a lot of unnecessary hot air :)
    And before anyone gets on my back :D I do agree there should be an option to disable the news banner in the GUI if required and it seems that Agnitum are now paying attention to this request after pressure from the Mods at the Agnitum forum.
    Have a nice day :)

3. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Sorry to upset you again ssj100 but I had already read the post you were referring to and your quote above infers that Outpost installs a Third Party toolbar without asking. I just cannot read it any other way. If you didn't mean it that way then I suggest you take more care with the composition and wording of your posts :cautious:

And also, instead of sending me stupid PMs post what you have to say here so that everyone can read them. Reply if wish but you will not get any response.

4. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Registered Member

Hey! ~Snip.~ ....were you talking to me?! I have Outpost Installed on three computers. There are NO third party toolbar installed!
    Do you ever read EULA before you install any software!. There is a big difference between your Firewall and Outpost. NOW!.... go play with your free Sandboxie! haha

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
  5. BladeRunner

Then...What does this mean!........(quote)"But it's nice to know that Outpost doesn't even ask you whether you want to install a third party toolbar. Good game."
    I am sorry if I insulted you, but you started first by insulting my intelligence with the above quote.

6. BladeRunner

No need to apologize. I know you were just defending your firewall.
    The bottom line is...we all want to protect our-self from the Bad World Wide of Web. Its pretty dangerous out there without a proper setup. Before I knew Wilders Security Forums I use to reinstall my computer every couple of months due to infections. There are some very smart people on this board...... took their advice and since then haven't had to reinstall.
    I am sure you feel pretty safe with your setup as I do with mine. I just want to wish you the best!

7. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

What irony!
    Someone insults you with childish name-calling, and in the end you are the one that must thank him for graciously accepting your apology!

FWIW, your point was clear to me from the beginning.

I always thought that the person who jumped to conclusions and made rash statements without full comprehension of the text at hand was generally the one who is at fault in these types of situations, but you know what they say, you learn something new every day....

In any case now that this has been cleared up hopefully a mod will come through and delete these immature, off-topic posts (including mine, ha!) since it is really cluttering up what I thought was a very good thread.

I was actually thinking about moving to Outpost Pro too when I saw this...

ARRGH!!!
    WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO FIND A TRUSTWORTHY FIREWALL VENDOR??!

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Oh okay maybe that was the issue I experienced.

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

OTOH, and maybe playing somewhat of devil's advocate, if no one complained Agnitum would no doubt never consider getting rid of it ;)

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Numerous off topic dribble posts removed and suggest if this thread is to continue, let's post about the thread topic and take the child like blabbering to some other site. This thread also does not concern other firewalls, simply a version release of Outpost.

11. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I invite whoever wishes, to send a suggestions form :

http://www.agnitum.com/support/forms/suggestions.php

The way it appears, it allows Outpost free users to make a suggestion too.

I will be filing one shortly (alghough i have the impression i have already done so, but can't remember 100%).

12. Fuzzfas

Since my reply to you with links was deleted by the Mods, i can only tell you that Agnitum has received complaints allright. Go to Outpost Forum and search for "Agnitum News". You will find the answer of Agnitum to a user from 2008 who pubblished it in the forum. Not to mention that some Mods themselves were annoyed by it and encouraging users to file complaint (i imagine themselves informed Agnitum).

13. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Fuzzfas, it has been posted to death and you
    are on a very strange mission[maybe just plain boredom who knows who cares]
    its been reported by alot of folks...so move on
    please don't be shocked "Outpost is a spyware"
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241631

14. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

another very old already know post!!

15. Fuzzfas

People on "a strange mission", are the ones that make things change. Read Norton's 180 degrees turn on Ask.com. You can always ask for my posts to be deleted.

Gee, and then people complain that users with "Comodo" on their signature are on a mission...

Apparently wat0114 doesn't know that post, or he wouldn't ask if Agnitum is aware of it, now, would he?

16. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

17. Fuzzfas

18. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

You have been told Agnitum has been well aware of it!
    now enjoy your weekend, you now got me so bored with this issue
    I am gonna go have some fun on the weekend
    and in closing you get your own post's removed dude :argh:

19. Fuzzfas

Thanks for verifying that Agnitum was aware of the issue. Now Wat can have his answer to his question.

Do have some fun, cause it seems all you Outpost Moderators work full time. You 've earned it.

Yeah, "i get my own posts removed" (together with your fellow Outpost mods aka "The Cavalry"). What a reward for you...

20. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

21. Fuzzfas

Thanks, the workaround was already posted twice in the 1st page of this thread. Still, i would prefer to use that UI space for something more "firewallish", since the workaround, doesn't stop the attempt of downloading the news. It still phones home, the difference is, that it can't display you any news anymore, because of the "hack" that fools the way the news is downloaded. I mean, i am sure, that if one would make a poll, there would be SOMETHING that people would rather see in that space of UI , which would be more useful. It could show you download/upload speed graph for example, i don't know. Or countries flags on which you are currently connected to. The space reserved for the news, is WASTED space IMHO. I could understand it more for the free version. But not for the paid.

Thank you, good news, your fellow moderator "chrisretusn" posted the above post already earlier in this thread, but his posts were deleted together with mine.

You see, the sooner that thing becomes optional (i have blocked the connections to Comodo too, i only update when i want to), the higher chances i have to go back using something i paid for. That's enough to make me happy. You see, for me, in a firewall, it's a matter of principle to allow ME to control the connections.

22. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

just for clarification chrisretusn is NOT a moderator at Outpost
    forum..he is a BETA tester ;)

Please join the forum for more discussion if you wish
    this thread issue in this thread has now been clarified..
    modified and just plain done :)

23. Fuzzfas

Yes, sorry about that, my mistake. My apology to chrisretusn. Beta Tester he is.

24. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

My apologies if I made it seem I wasn't privy to Agnitum being aware of the issue. Of course I know they are aware of it, especially since I'm one of those "full time" :D mods.

Only in due time will we know where Agnitum goes with this. All I would say to those who are repelled by it is to realize Agnitum is a business so if you put yourself in their shoes, they are trying to run a profitable venture - not easy at all in the midst of this worldwide ailing economy - so their decision on this news component was no doubt driven by business concerns. They did not put it there for nefarious reasons.

If possible, they will hopefully come up with at least a compromise to satisfy their customers.

25. Fuzzfas

I believe exactly the same. Advertising, never hurt anyone! I don't think they want to hack into someone's PC. Of course they do it because it's in some indirect way profitable to them!

But, i don't like it one bit in a paid firewall. In a freeware, i can understand advertising your products (or even Winrar for what matters). You don't pay for it, so it's the "price" you pay for not paying directly in $$$. But why in a paid product...

This is exactly the point. Only by complaints and negative pubblicity vendors change their mind. If *I* were a vendor who CARES about my reputation and customers , i would never have put my "news" in the paid version OR if by bad judgement i had done so, i would have made it OPTIONAL (if not removing it alltogether), as soon as i got my first complaints.

Because at the end, it shows how a company thinks and VALUES the customer. Is the "news" something inherently tied to a firewall? Does a firewall need the news to work as the customer expect to? No. Then why not making it optional, even if a small minority of customers is annoyed by it? The answer is how much you value those customers compared to your perceived gain you have from your advertising.

How to put it. To this day, apparently, Agnitum has compared the 2 gains and thought that her "business profit" was better served by ignoring the request of this minority of customers.

I hope that will follow Symantec's path and change strategy.

Because at the end, SECURITY products are BASED on trust and reputation. And by ignoring some of your users, won't help your reputation. Because those "few" users, will not reccommend your product to their friends, will write about your business priorities in their blogs and so on.

Symantec understood that. As always, there is a limit of protest, after which the vendors decide that the losses are more than the gains.

Give the OPT-OUT possibility or AT LEAST, make a different executable for the news, so that you can block that executable through firewall rules and still be able to update the PROGRAM through ACS.EXE , is i think nothing irrational to ask!

The biggest capital of a vendor is the happy customer. This is what no vendor should ever forget. One happy customer will bring another and so on. And he will be loyal customer if he thinks that you CARE about him. Now, you can't keep everyone happy who wishes this and that new feature in a firewall. There is no "perfect" firewall. But making "news" optional COSTS NOTHING in terms of coding to you and you make even your small minority happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.