Outpost Firewall Free 2009 v6.5 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by PaulBB, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

It depends, windows firewall in xp is inbound only. In vista windows fw can be 2 way with a bit of work.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I am a little surprised, after years of me chasing vendors for better packet filtering and posting to forum concerning this, the replies have usually been "Not needed" or "get a router" or similar. But when outpost leaves out the "Attack plugin" in the free product, which is just basically packet filtering, then there is concern.

- Stem

3. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Outpost doesn´t prevent http bypass, show me one firewall that really prevents http bypass or http smuggling. There is no tool in existence after decades still no security. The mafia controls the whole net.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

HTTP smuggling is out of the hands of the host, this is normally an attack on the server between the host and the actual site to connect to. (web cache poisoning)

- Stem

5. SystemJunkie

Oh good to know thanks for the enlightment.

BTW Outpost still vulnerable to Keylogger Test 7 Raw Attack and Screen 2.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

With the "Web bypass", this I have had various descriptions, so had to re-check my notes. It can refer to how a user on a PC can bypass firewall rules to gain outbound connections to restricted sites or use restricted protocols. As this can be done in various ways, such as tunneling/encryption, then this kind of "Leak" is difficult to prevent. However, this is really a problem for an IT manager who is attempting to restrict the users on the LAN.

edit:

I think we are starting to drift from topic. If a discussion is wanted concerning packet filtering and various attacks, I suggest a new thread is in order.

- Stem

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  7. SystemJunkie

Yes I think so, it seems to be nearly impossible to prevent from what I´ve observed the last years. But a feature I would like to see in firewalls such as outpost or comodo is sort of tunnel designer, I mean something like a webrange blocker but reversed. I give the firewall the rules so that the browser can only access for example 10 websides that I use regularly. This again won´t prevent http smuggling because then they will try to smuggle over my 10 defined websides but at least it would prevent huge ranges of unwanted IPs and could slow down their communication lanes as well as widely reduce remote attacks.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Stem,

any overall comments on this free version ?

In particular, how would you rate it, after your testing, compared with the Vista firewall or other free FWs such as Comodo or Online Armor?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, just found out Windows 7 is not supported in the free version. The installer displays the message and exits. So looks like only Vista x64 works. No 7. Oh well....

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It is great for those who chase after leak_prevention

I am staying away from A vs B on this thread. It can start too much off topic and possible flaming.

- Stem

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Okay. I understand.

But would you say that this version seems stable and would you recommend to start up in the Learning mode?

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I did not see any issues with stability, and now the popups for rules appear to work better and rules are then created and enforced.
    The learning mode, I did not look at that, but from the auto rules that are placed (from the default rulesets) then I would not personally use that. As simple example, explorer is given outbound rules, even the task_manager is given outbound rules. Not something I personally like to see.

- Stem

13. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Running OP Free 2009 v.6.5.1 (2725.381.0687) on the wife's XP Home desktop with AntiVir Free and Prevx 3.0. Set rules for everything there is to set rules for and then to 'Block Most'. While I'm not a big leak test guy, I feel better having such protection on wifey's machine. Being behind my hard wired SPI router, this should be great protection for her non-risky surfing habits. Thanks Agnitum!

14. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Someone mentioned this in an earlier thread but taking a OK rather than Allow on the popups seems to save the rule. It's kinda confusing in that when you see Allow one would think it would be saved. I think it's a very stable Freeware firewall. Good job Outpost. :thumb:

Ice

15. SystemJunkie

Agree.

There is a heavy issue on Vista 64 bit, sometimes the system fails to start
    and shows error 0xc0000225 defective registry.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I saw no sign of anything like this after running it on Vista x64 for several days, rebooting many times, etc.

17. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Outpost Firewall Free v.6.5.2725 Released

Outpost Firewall Free 2009 Released
    Build number: v.6.5.2725.381.687.328
    Release Date: 01 May 2009

Outpost Firewall Free gives you solid firewall protection with standard packet and application filtering to safeguard your data against unauthorized third parties. Plus, you get advanced protection against illegal program activity that will help stymie unknown threats. All this coupled with minimum impact on your system resources makes Outpost Firewall Free a must-have instrument for an unprotected PC.

The following issues are resolved (only significant ones are listed):
    • No Change Log Yet

Product Info: Agnitum Outpost Free
    Download: Outpost Free

Attached Files:

18. SystemJunkie

Host Protection on Maximum?

BTW is it usual that there is no version number here?
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2vtcg7s.png

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Don't know if it was on max or not, just used default out of the box settings. No idea about your task manager shot there....

20. SystemJunkie

Try it with Maximum protection, usually it is not on maximum but maximum makes sense.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, next time I'm in Vista I will check that out.... Btw, apparently there is a new free version today also:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241171

Perhaps it has some fixes for you...

22. cet

cet Registered Member

I only have one computer and a nat router.So which box should I check under LAN settings.Default configuration:NetBios checked.Is it safer to uncheck all?

23. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

IMHO the short answer is yes. Unless you are into file sharing between PC's on your own LAN. If you ever plug another PC in even temporarily you will never remember then to do this.

My philosophy has always been block by default allow by exception.

Let it complain then check. Some here will disagree but that's fine.

24. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

We can do this by IP address in OA already (and probably in other firewalls too). The Webshield could be used (almost) to do this, if it had a way to tell it how to handle "Not listed" websites. I've just logged a change in our bugtracker to cover this request as it's a good idea and should be simple to implement.

Sorry for threadjack..

Mike

25. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

If the attached screenshot illustrates what you mean, then it can be done in the majority of sofware firewalls, but then it will entail a great deal more work creating rules. I don't have mine set up this way; it's done only for illustrative purposes for your querry. This is also the suite - not the free version. I'm not sure this is possible in the free version, though I think it is.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.