Outpost, Comodo or Online Armor?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by thehawkMT, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XYZR

XYZR Registered Member

Comodo didn't ask because FF and IE are trusted applications by Comodo so it automatically allowed it. Go to Firewall-> Firewall Behavior Settings-> select "Custom Policy" if you want to receive alerts from trusted applications.

2. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

He's right.
    One other point: Comodo and Kaspersky (AV) don't work well together.
    Another point: I don't know how exactly you did your leak test but consider that Comodo has a built in sandbox and when you reboot everything will be gone.
    Another (2) point; Comodo is easier to configure
    A last point: Comodo is free.

As a clarification let me post some links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvTSvN6uMxo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sN7ISKNeGM

Regards.
    Jose.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

If you get a router I suggest you get a router that can be flashed with dd-wrt or Tomato. You can go to their sites to see what routers are compatible. I have owned the Linksys WRT54GL and it is bulletproof, but it is a G router.

I recently changed to an N router, which is noticeably faster, the Asus rt-N12. But for satisfactory performance the firmware must be upgraded to dd-wrt or Tomato; I personally prefer Tomato. The Asus cost $30 from NewEgg and the flashing is no problem. There are directions on the dd-wrt or the tomato website for downloading and flashing with the right firmware.

I use the router with Windows firewall which works very well for me. But I must admit, I do most of my browsing with Linux.

Cheers,

Jim

4. thehawkMT

thehawkMT Registered Member

Hi Jim.

I did indeed purchase a WRT54GL after all the nice reviews I read about it. May I kindly ask if I am to replace its firmware with a better one and if yes where to obtain it?

Thank you.

5. guest

guest Guest

6. thehawkMT

Thanks friend.

Would I be able to go to the factory-default firmware in case I mess up?

7. guest

guest Guest

Be sure you know how to do it because you can get a brick instead a router, anyway there is always ways to recover it if something goes wrong but they are more complicated.

Yes you can come back to the old firmware
    https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=14470

8. thehawkMT

9. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I got a cheap Netgear WGR614 ($35) and out of the box it has more option than my old (broken), more expensive Linksys did.

Among options here are a few I find useful, port triggering, guest network, QoS settings, traffic meter, attached devices, and remote management.

10. guest

guest Guest

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If you are using Win7 there is no need for a 3'rd party firewall, as the Windows Firewall has outbound filtering. Because it's integrated with the OS it's lighter than any 3'rd party FW could ever be, and just as effective. I have no intentions of upgrading from XP Pro until they stop supporting it, but when I do it'll be the end of 3'rd party firewalls for me. I may still use a dedicated HIPS program though.

And as others have said... get behind a router ASAP. It's probably the single best security measure one can take.

KAV is a great product. My only reservation is that some of the modules are just overlap for me. I like an AV to just be an AV, and not try to do jobs more suited for FW's/HIPS. A nice file shield, good heuristics and top notch on demand detection rates = all I need and want in an AV. I do really like the virtual keyboard in KAV though, and think more developers should consider adding similar things to their products. Keystroke encryption is a nice layer of defense against keyloggers.

12. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

FWIW, on my router there is a reset button which the vendor Linksys/CISCO says sets it back to factory BUT I've never actually done it.

13. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

That reset button won't do a rollback of firmware. Repairing a router after a bad flash of firmware is a pain ~ Snipped as per TOS ~.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  14. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, a bad flash is BAD news. OT maybe but a flash of BIOS on a setup is more than scary. :D

15. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Somehow this router thing looks off-topic considering the thread title :)
    Regardless, here is my experience:
    Just before I switched to Hyperwrt on the WRT54 v4 Linksys router several years back, I must have saved the original firmware from the Linksys menu (because I see the file so designated). So if have to reflash to the original Linksys firmware, the file got saved .CFG format. I don't recall the need to reflash since. Hyperwrt works well, though is now obsolete and their website is for sale :(
    Under Hyperwrt, and I'm sure DD-wrt and Tomato, the reset button will reset the router, but definitely NOT to the factory original WRT firmware.

Just FYI, there were soooo many versions of WRT firmware, some of which can, and others can't, be updated to alternative firmware systems.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

16. thehawkMT

Is it allowed to change the topic title? I would if it is :)

I have two more questions, if I may.

1. Is it so important to flash my device after all? Will I gain a big, big advantage as compared to the factory default?

2. This is very important - how can I set my router to be ONLY for Internet use?

Here I have two machines, a desktop and a laptop, both of which will be connected to the router when I am ready from all this "operation". Now sometimes I use the laptop to experiment with new applications, not saying I'm infected or something like that but it's a test machine nonetheless.

So I want to instruct my router to disable any sort of file sharing and/or interaction between the desktop and laptop, actually, I want the laptop to NOT EVEN KNOW the desktop machine is on the same network

How can I achieve this?

Thank you.

17. guest

guest Guest

Probably you dont need to flash you device if you are going to use your router for a normal use.

The question is do you really need any of the features that you will get flashing your router with Tomato o DD-WRT?

18. thehawkMT

Thank you Raiden.

Yes, just as I was thinking. I am a home user who needs to be protected by the router's firewall when on the Internet. As explained in question two I will not use the router for LAN purposes.

I would only flash my device if there are bugs or flaws in the original firmware.

19. act8192

For me, one of several reasons for alternative firmware in WRT54GL is a flaw/design feature is that you can't see the traffic logs while on the factory firmware.

20. thehawkMT

Interesting.

Apologies for what maybe is a stupid question but when analysing traffic in/out from the router logs, does it show all websites you connect to, etc. or just data sent/received by/to your ISP?

21. blasev

blasev Registered Member

1 small post for this forum, 1 big step for windows security :D
    thx

22. thehawkMT

Matt's post was indeed incredibly helpful - I set KIS as per the link he posted and Comodo Leaktest scored 320/340.

23. act8192

It doesn't show any data, that's not its purpose, it's just a traffic cop.

It shows every IP from which a packet came to the router and to which computer or device it was addressed.
    It shows every IP, service/port number, protocol to which the router sent a packet and shows the source of LAN IP if you have several computers connected to the router.
    ISP isn't really in the picture, they're just a hop on the packet's route.
    Logs can be seen by opening the router's web page or can be sent to the syslog port (514) of a computer on the LAN.
    The best logging I've ever seen is on my external Linksys router, the old BEFSR41, all in one, color coded direction.
    The one in WRT54, even improved by Hyperwrt isn't as nice, since outgoing and incoming directions are in two separate screens, so it's rough to get the chronology if you're chasing after a sequence of events.

24. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

25. tipo

tipo Registered Member

comodo - free, light, good detection rate, full security suite! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.