Outpost 8.0(4164.652.1856) Final

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rules, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Okay i took advantage of the giveaway on tipradar and downloaded and installed.Rebooted and went straight to a black screen of death.
    1.I hard rebooted using the power button.
    2.then i encountered a total system wide freeze.

I uninstalled.
    Any suggestions of whats wrong or is this a common occurance.
    I dare not try it again after i re-imaged.:'(

2. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

I must say I've been using Outpost Firewall Pro for 6-7 years now, and the latest version is a pain in my system (vista sp2 32 bits). I also get a black screen for a lonnnnnnnng time before I can finally view my desktop.
    As a result, I got back to version 7.6, which works like a charm !

3. minoka

minoka Registered Member

Had a similar issue on my win 7 64 bit machine after enabling the hidden admin account and rebooting.

Thanks to Agnitum's support, the culprit was found: in my case, userinit was blocking explorer.exe, hence no desktop, just a black screen.

Anyway, to make the story short, I exported my config, created a new one with auto-learn mode enabled and the issue disappeared. I then compared the new automatically created config with my own and discovered mine had no rules for userinit. All I had to do is to import my config, add userinit to my apps and allow it "network-enabled application launch".

Autoruns was also helpful verifying Logon autorun entries.

Hope this helps someone.

4. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I have a love/hate feelings for Outpost (I do have life time licenses for both versions). Let me explain, every time OP is installed, and I switch to another firewall (after uninstalling in safe mode with "Clean .exe") I end up reformatting because of blue screens, and my computer restarting by its self. It never fails something down the road screws up my system, after OP has been installed, I can't prove, or track it down but Outpost really put's it's claws in deep, maybe a little too deep?
    I have heard of similar complaints. But I like a fool I give it another try putting Outpost back on, because I liked it back when it was version 3 or so, hoping it will be as good. Then I end up reformatting my computer within 6 months.
    It is a great firewall, but the bugs, or poor coding it is not worth it, at least for now.

5. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Most of these firewall antivirus antimalware applications are highly sensitive almost like rubbing two sticks of dynamite together. I've been using Outpost off and on for around 7 years, the only problem i had was trying to uninstall it with Revo, parts and pieces everywhere, the last time i uninstalled it with add/remove it was picture perfect. Today I'm running the firewall security suite pro 8.0 that and sandboxie and that's it, it runs smooth as silk.. :)

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Great Firewall, Great Features

But....

Way too buggy like you said.

Once I got mine to work, something else popped up that I didn't like.

They need to iron out the bugs first, before I start to use it again.

In my case, it got buggier and buggier the more I hardened it's settings.

Some people told me to lower it, but that just defeats the purpose of having the options there in the first place.

7. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I had no problems with installing it and removing it.
    It's running great actually, though I'm using only the firewall component.
    Found one bug in the Entertainment mode, it's not working as it should.
    I have auto-creation rules disabled, yet when in the Entertainment mode Outpost auto-creates rules with Allow All in network rules, policy for Entertainment mode was on Block Most (same thing happened with Block All).
    So I was forced to disable that feature.
    However that forced me to switch from Rules Wizard to Block Most, which is not ideal for me, but I'm getting used to it.

8. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Hi

Is Outpost 8.0(4164.652.1856) compatible with Nod32 Antivirus 6?

TIA

Cam

9. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Yes ;)

10. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Thank you, and with MBAM pro?

TIA

Cam

11. Disney

Disney Registered Member

Yes it is

12. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if the problem with web filtering is gone? Previously, when you would do searches like Google, Bing etc. you would either get blank white space on page or just the first page of searches, no 2nd or 3rd page etc. Will it filter sexual content? Last time I tried using it was two yrs ago.

Thanks

13. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Does OP Firewall Pro 8.0 protect against usb external HDD auto-runs?

14. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Yes, there is four level of protection

4- Just autorun.inf is blocked
    3- Applications not signed are bloked + autorun.inf
    2- All applications are blocked + autorun.inf
    1- When you connect your External HDD, directly blocked.

Tested with my External Seagate hdd and the latest OP.

http://postimg.org/image/r5026zbs7/
    http://postimg.org/image/5n2u4qdbr/

Rules.

15. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I have used Outpost Firewall Pro for years and it has served me very well, but I'm thinking of switching to Privatefirewall due to OP's high RAM usage and the amount of disk space it requires. I"m sure other OP users have noticed the same thing -- right?

16. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah. That and the fact that I can't get it to install on my system.

17. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Totally agree, high ram for me too, but indeed strong protection.

Have you ever try SpyShelter Firewall ?

Private firewall is good too.

rules.

18. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

No, haven't used either one, but have read and heard that Private Firewall is very light on resources -- and it gets a pretty good rating on Matousec's site.

19. Disney

Disney Registered Member

I swear by Outpost but , it is not the favorite for some due to differing reasons . I will tell you that Private Firewall is a good option in my opinion . Try it . If it works for you , keep using it . I would have no problem using it myself .

20. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

No offense ,but OFP 8 is an excellent firewall.Unless you are running 512 megs of RAM and some Celeron you should have no issues with it.
    Private Firewall is nice ,but it lacks loopback interception though and some other features.
    OFP allows for maximum control.

21. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Originally posted by JRCARTES - Outpost Firewall Pro + KAV 2013o_O
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=345283

Well, it's now 1.5 months later, and given ronjor's posting on the failure of layering using products from the same vender (eg: Security Suites), and perhaps the need to diversify defense approaches.....
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=347664

and noticing that the Matousec results for Comodo, Outpost, and Kaspersky are excellent.....
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php

Well, this got me thinking that Kaspersky, which consistently ranks very well in most AV tests, and the generally good performance also of Outpost, may make a "marriage" of maximum protection, if combined with a suitable white listing / policy restricting application or even a sandbox or light virtualisation.

Soooooo......can anyone advise if this could be a stable combo without conflict ?.......
    Kaspersky AV + Outpost Pro Firewall + Appguard, or EXE Radar Pro, or Exploit Shield, virtualised inside, say, Shadow Defender.

And, finally, any suggestions for settings?

PS: I am worried about whether the AV may be buggy on windows 7 (The issue of not shutting down properly on Win :cool:.......

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=347390&highlight=kaspersky

Any solution in sight?....anyone lurk at K's forums?

Or, is it "abandon all hope" and go with Bit Defender as the AV?
    - cheers,
    feandur

22. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

KAV+OPF+SD= Pretty Bullet proof. You don't really need AG or NVT. OFP has the HIPS and program control. KAV has the exploit feature. Along with SD, your pretty good to go. You can interchange any AV. You'll have to find one that works with the rest of you combo. Good thing is there are a lot of good AV's. You could use Avast free.

23. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Is outpost light on the system?

24. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

Light enough once you´re out of "auto-learn" mode...

(I´m using OSS full + WSA + DW on WinXP)

25. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Interesting you should ask. After years of being a very loyal and satisfied OP Firewall Pro user (with a Lifetime License), I just recently switched to PrivateFirewall for the sole reason that OP is not light on resources. I suppose the "light" question is somewhat relative (depending on your setup), but for me on my fairly small XP system, I thought it was just too resource intensive (a good 150MB+ of active RAM and about 230MB of disk space).

Outpost is an excellent firewall! Had it been lighter on resources, there's no question I would still be using it. Private Firewall is pretty well rated on Matousec's site, but it does lack a few features found in OP. However, with some of the other security apps I currently use, I feel like I'm reasonably well protected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.