Outlook files from personal folders disappear

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by woodentop, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loopguru

loopguru Registered Member

Dennis,

can you maybe post your support ticket no.? Support in Germany here is responsive and I would like to drop them a line so that they understand that your issue is troubling more of us.

Thanks,
    loopguru

2. dennisthemenace9

dennisthemenace9 Registered Member

Loopguru why bother? You know what the problem is. It is not happening to one person or just a few. We don't need to express that. How did they resolve it for you in Germany?

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

We have read your silly posts time and time again attempting to get a response to this issue. Now a person who feels he might be able to help because of better support from the German group asks for a bit of information and you turn him down.

Put your ticket number where your mouth is! In case you aren't aware ticket numbers are very important to people who use call tracking systems.

4. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

I guess that he has no ticket number. dennisthemenace9 has never contact Acronis using their website.

@dennisthemenace9
    if I'm mistaken please post your ticket number here.

5. loopguru

Dennis: Haven't you opened a support ticket? If not then do so please as this is the only way to get things fixed.

Spooky: Have you opened a ticket? Live Chat is most likely not the best way to do that.

I do not have the problem with files deleted by TI right now - at least as far as I'm aware of. But - as many others - I'm not feeling comfortable with a backup software which sometimes deletes what it should backup.

Regards,
    loopguru

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

One of the reasons I don't see this problem is because I don't use OE or Outlook, however as has been mentioned before, perhaps because OE is open (or running in the background) TI or maybe something from Windows that TI hooks into causes this problem.

If someone is willing, it would be interesting to know if OE is actually running in these cases or has been run prior to an image being made, and on that point can someone confirm that we are only talking about imaging here and not files and folders backups as well.

It would also be interesting to know if this problem happens if the OE path for it's files is changed from the default to a user chosen location.

Colin

7. dennisthemenace9

It happens during an entire image backup when Outlook/Outlook Express is not running. Outlook/Outlook Express is using their default locations to store the e-mail files.

8. Remo_253

Remo_253 Registered Member

I had just purchased ATI Home 2009 a few days ago. I found this topic while looking for something else. After reading this, and the referenced PCMag review, I've asked for, and been told I will get, a refund.

Backup software has to be 100% reliable or it's worthless. Maybe my backup will work isn't good enough. And with the reported problems I have to wonder what other gotcha's there are that haven't been found yet?

I found it interesting that in this entire thread the only response from Acronis was the deletion of a chat log. Obviously soneone from the company has been watching the thread, the log was deleted only 4 hours after it was posted. But there's no "we're aware of it and here's what we're doing about it".

What I don't understand from the previous posters is why you're still using the product??

9. loopguru

I share the concerns regarding the unreliability of TI.

But - forgive me - I cannot understand why those who experience the loss of files don't open a regular support ticket. As the problem seems to be reproducible (Dennis states it happens each Monday) it should not be too hard to fix it. Support could do some extra logging and tracing on the machines of the affected users - getting this fixed seems not like rocket science to me.

Happy new year!
    Loopguru

10. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

I decided to have a closer look at this in respect of my own computer which is running Vista.

Vista 32bit SP1, 3gig RAM SATA internal 320 gig (system drive) and 200gig drive plus various external USB drives -3 for backup and 3 for data. Programmes are on the system drive.

I am using ATI 2009 v9646.

Two users have accounts on the computer.

My backup strategy consists of:

Full backup images of the system drive is made manually after booting from VistaPE on a USB flash drive. I use Mustangs plug-in and save the Mybackup.tib file to a USB IDE drive. I only do full image backups with ATI.
    All backups are verified and exclude .bak is unchecked. I have two consecutive backups.

All key data files (photos videos docs etc) are backed up using Karen's Replicator to other USB drives. A great programme.
    All backup USB drives are located off site other than when being written to.

So I am using ATI in its simplest task. Manual backup of full drive images.

I have verified the suitability of the setup to my satisfaction by restoring a tib file to a spare SATA drive mounted in the computer and then booting from it.

Outlook.
    I have Outlook installed - part of Office- but do not use it. I use Windows Mail (new name for Outlook Express AFAIK). The files associated with Windows Mail are present both on the system drive and in the latest backup tib file I have made in the users\x\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows Mail.

In account A (me) Outlook was started but cancelled before the setup wizard could finish,although a folder users\a\appdata\local\Microsoft\outlook\accounts was created during the install. No PST file was created.

In account B the Outlook setup wizard was worked through but no email accounts/servers were configured. This resulted in a small PST file being created in the Outlook folder.
    This is present in the latest tib image stored on the external drive and the system drive at users\b\appdata\local\Microsoft\outlook\ SO THIS WAS NOT DELETED WHEN I BACKED UP THE DRIVE.

Logged in as A I have worked through the Outlook wizard hence creating a PST file in the relevant area. I am backing up up the system drive tonight from my login A and will report back what happens to the PST file in the A account.

It maybe a problem restricted to XP

11. Spooky

Spooky Registered Member

Not yet. I'll wait until I have my full copy (I bought a hardcopy online in a store, because it was cheaper; so I don't have the license key yet) and install it on one of the systems again and may be try to figure out under which exact circumstances all this happens (can't do that with the trial version right now).

For me, the main issue isn't Outlook here. It's that almost the whole content of Application Data gets deleted. On one system even the whole Microsoft directory and not just the Outlook.pst in it. And yes, I am talking about imaging and not of a file & folder backup or just an E-Mail backup. It's a normal image backup of a whole disk (and/or just a drive in one case).

Yeah, maybe. I also used the ATIH 2009 trial on my laptop with Vista 32 on it. Nothing unusal happened there, as far as I know. I don't have Outlook installed there, but so far nothing got deleted in the AppData directory.

12. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

No, not from the company Acronis.
    This is NO official Acronis Support Forum.

Here are forum-MODs who have an eye to the postings.
    If there is something what is against the TOS, it will be deleted.

Ok, what shall Acronis do?
    They cannot do anything if there is no (official) opened issue with a ticketnumber.

BTW:
    I cannot open a ticket because I use Ti11.

13. Kafnarfa

Kafnarfa Registered Member

I'm having the same problem but I'm using Outlook 2000.
    Additionally, although I can locate the missing .pst files I haven't woked out how to restore them. The Restore file sits in th unscheduled tasks folder of the logs and I don't know how to get it to run.

I think I would like quick solutions or my money back!

14. Spooky

Spooky Registered Member

Have you tried just exploring the archive and copy the file out of the archive from there?

15. GFD

GFD Registered Member

Interesting read
    (so sorry for some misunderstandings my nativ language is German)

I notices exactly same problem as TO.

SW is ATI V10
    on 3 differend Vista installation (Home Premium, Business 32 and Ultimate x64)

Acronis Germany recommended ATI 2009 - tried the demoversion and it came up with the same problems. Firthermore some ATI V11 tasks didnt run or it was impossible to change settings

They know this problem on both version!

(btw The ATI 2009 tasks didnt run under ATI V11)

cheers for Germany

Edit: forgot to mention Office 2007

16. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

For those having this disappearing file(s) problem, what file system is the source partition from which the file(s) are disappearing? NTFS? FAT32? I don't recall this being mentioned by anyone in the thread, though I haven't done a recheck of the posts. I don't have TI 2009 so cannot perform any tests.

Thanks.

Doug

17. dennisthemenace9

I am using NTFS. I think everyone would be using NTFS today. Only maybe their Dell or HP recovery partition might be FAT32. FAT32 days are seeing it's end.

18. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

Just to report back on the earlier post BTW I am using Office 2007 and Vista 32 Sp1.

There were no missing PST files in the relevant appsdata folder. Outlook.pst was found both in the tib file and the source drive after backup.

This backup was done with just a manual backup of an image of a single drive with a single partition. No files were excluded. No scheduling done

ATI 2009 was run from a VistaPE flash drive using Mustangs plugin

I will be following the thread to see what the source of the problem is. As it seems to be reproducible -rather than random- there is somewhere to start

19. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Tatou's test has just brought another question to the surface. Those who are having the problem, does it manifest itself if using either the Rescue CD or BART/VistaPE environment?

Colin

20. dennisthemenace9

I'm jusy allowing it to do an automatic incremental update. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3 (fully update). It happens when it misses an update (2pm) and then wants to run as soon as the PC is in Windows.

21. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Ah now this is a new piece of information I think, what happens if you switch off the ' auto run if task missed option '?

Just one thing to be aware of with the auto run option, this can cause almight havoc sometimes when an image restore is performed. Because the restore can under certain conditions causes TI to lose a day versus the PC clock, if you've made the error of leaving your image drive attached on reboot, you will find TI will overwrite your existing images.

Guess how I know! For this reason I've unticked this option and perform missing ones manually now.

Colin

22. dennisthemenace9

Say whato_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O?? I've been using that option on versions 9, 10 and 11 WITHOUT "havoc"!

23. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Note the use of the words - CAN (not WILL) and CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

Colin

24. dennisthemenace9

Under certain "CERTAIN CONDITIONS" the world will end on October 21, 2011.

25. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, there you go then, you just need a freeware gematriatic task scheduler!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.