Outlook Express - Unable to send/rec email after logging off

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by toddgh, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddgh

toddgh Registered Member

Within the last 5 days I am unable to check my email in Outlook Express after logging out & then back in or switching users. Usually I get the 0x800ccc0E & occasionally the 0x800ccc0F.

If I restart my PC I can send/rec email in Outlook Express just fine again. If I log off & switch users or log back into my user profile I can't check my email once again.

I have Zone Alarm & Norton. I have tried disabling Norton & uninstalling Zone Alarm, but after logging off & back in Outlook doesn't work again. I have even gone into add/remove programs and removed all of the last Windows updates within the last week... this issue still persists. I have called my ISP and they say it is a Windows or software issue of some kind.

Attached Files:

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Are you on a dial-up connection?
    Is the setting of 'hangup after sending and receiving' disabled?

3. toddgh

toddgh Registered Member

I am on a 5 MB cable connection.
    Yes that setting is disabled.

4. whatispunk

whatispunk Registered Member

I am experiencing the same problem. I have no idea what has caused it. I thought maybe it was the result of a recent Windows update but I have removed all the updates I downloaded since this started happening.

Basically, the first time I log into an account after a reboot, everything works fine. However, once I logoff and logon again (either to same or different account) I start getting the exact same error message in Outlook Express 6. I also downloaded Thunderbird and the same thing happens to it.

I have tried so many freakin things to fix this problem and I'm at my whits end. Someone help!

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would solve this by restoring a snapshot or an image of my system partition, because I don't have the knowledge to solve such problems.

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

7. whatispunk

Thanks guys but I think this one is over. I am done. Fed up!
    I am going to break the news to my customer tomorrow that he needs a reinstall. Its still better than the unbootable heap he handed me. And he can recover his data now before I do the reinstall, or he can do it either way.

I must say though, at one point, something I did fixed it. I made a registry backup yesterday before I ran WinsockFix (and countless other things). I was thinking that maybe I introduced the problem by nuking Winsock. So I booted into safemode and imported the reg file. Then when I booted back up I was able to log in and out of any account and the mail worked.

Then I did something stupid. I ran Windows Update again, thinking that if it screwed it up I would at least know what the cause was and be able to fix it. Well I ran the update and it DID screw it all up. THen I uninstalled all the updates, rebooted a few times and the email was still broken. I even re-imported the reg file again and it is still screwed.

I'll still keep my eye on this forum because I've seen no where else that anyone is experiencing this same issue. But it could be new and more people will have it.

So good luck.

8. whatispunk

I'm sorry but I can't give up that easy. I tried a few more things and lo and behold the computer is once again fully functional.
    Here's what I did. And while I tried many things, I am not sure whether it was one specific action or a combination that fixed my issue. Try any of the following. And just for the record, these are just the last few things I tried. Not a definitive list of everything I did. I've been working on this one for the entire weekend now.

1st- The obvious, un-installed Norton System Works to rule out security software/firewall. Email still no-worky.
    2nd- Performed Repair Install of Windows. Email still brokey-broke.
    3rd- Uninstalled NIC driver. Then reinstalled. Then rebooted. Email still, well you know.
    3rd- Deleted and recreated default internet connection (PPPoE for DSL). No dice.
    4th- This is the thing I think that fixed it. And don't ask me why. The 1394 Connection was disabled. So I enabled it. Email now works?!

So after re-enabling the 1394 connection everything was peachy. Besides the fact that I had just performed a repair install of Windows, which I hate doing and in hind sight wished I'd tried step 3 and 4 before doing this. So after that I downloaded all the Windows Updates again (which was a challenge because IE7 revered back to IE6 and I had to actually use the MS Baseline Security analyzer to download a few updates before IE6 wouldn't freeze upon going to the Windows Update site.

But now, the computer is fully functional. The event viewer is squeeky clean and everything is running flawlessly. Phew! And my customer is thrilled!

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I just checked my "1394 connection" under "Network Connection" (Control Panel) and it was DISABLED (by myself after installing winXPproSP2).
    I use Thunderbird, not Outlook Express, but my assumption is that Outlook Express also would work with "1394 connection" = DISABLED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.