Outlook Express - Request Read Receipt

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Curtis Walton, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curtis Walton

Curtis Walton Registered Member

After I installed version 3 I noticed that I can send request read receipts from Outlook Express but can not respond to one sent to me. If I try I get a error stating "Outlook Expres was unable to send the receipt".
    Has anyone else found this to be true and if so is there anything I can do to correct this?

2. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Yes this problem still exists ,even in the latest 3.0.621 version. But I have just heard that Eset are trying to get around this issue. !!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  3. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Registered Member

Hi all,

I've been grappling with this problem for some time as well.

Is there an ETA on a fix?

Thanks.

4. poutine

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's not actually a bug as such. This is the consequence of limited functionality provided by OE API and we are trying hard to find a workaround for it. It's like if you purchased earphones and wondering why you hear nothing when speaking to the earphones - that's not a problem of the product you purchased. However, you can find a workaround and plug the earphones to the mic connector even though the earphones were not made for this purpose. However, in reality this would work. What we are doing now is trying to find such a workaround for the problems connected with OE.

6. poutine

I much preferred the way Version 2.7 handled everything in Outlook Express, plus the little scanner above your taskbar telling you the download speed of attachments etc, sigh. :( And what i cannot figure out is why you are looking for ways to get it to work with O.E ?? O.E is an emailing application with 10000's of users. NOD32 scans emails, what gives ? What is it supposed to work with if not the standard Microsoft email application ?

7. Marcos

V2 didn't use an OE plugin. If you want v3 to behave the same way as v2 and if you don't mind that the spam filter will not work (not a problem of EAV), disable integration into OE while leaving Email protection enabled.

8. poutine

It is stil to buggy to leave on. My sent mail has its account details wiped also , it has to stay off all the time. The sent mail field should say pop. *******.co.** but its wiped. And like i said, NOD32 should work in O.E theres no excuses for it not to. What use is it when it doesnt work in the standard emailing application Outlook Express. ? Dont get it. How many people do you think use O.E ... answer millions.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  9. Marcos

I wish I worked at Microsoft so that I could give you an answer. We are CONFINED by the functions that OE supports. If they don't support functions required for email handling then we cannot do much about it, it's not an excuse, it's a fact. As I said, disabling integration with OE will make your OE work as with v2 - email received via POP3 will still be scanned for threats as it used to be with v2.

10. poutine

Its a shame it wasnt left as in V.2 that way it would all be fine. I have to disable outgoing mail scanning as well, or else that wipes the sent mail account fields.
    Its all very well to turn it all off, but if NOD V.3 wasnt designed with O.E in mind then what exactly is it for ? And why not have it work like V.2 anyway, didnt V.2 protect as well as this version 3. ?
    And sorry Marcos, its not a dig at you or eset, i just dont get the concept here.

11. virkelie

virkelie Registered Member

I have Nod32, version 2.7.

I have not upgraded to version 3.0 - the outlook express issue is one of the reasons.
    But I don't need the spam filter; and the work-around you suggest would probably work for me.

If I download and install version 3, do I "disable integration" upon installation (ie is there an option on installation), or after installation?

12. Marcos

Yes, integration with OE can be enabled/disabled at any time from within the setup menu.

13. poutine

Does disabling integration also fix the outgoing mail scan which wipes the "sent items account details" field ? If it does i might go back to V.3. ;)Thanks.

14. Marcos

If you mean the Account column in OE, then yes. As I said, OE removes all this meta information when a message is copied for processing; we are already trying hard to find a workaround for this unpleasant API behavior.

15. poutine

Thank you.
    I really do know you are all working hard to remedy the faults, and i have to say that version 3.0.621.0 has improved so much i barely realize that its running now (yes i still have it on one PC), and i am already confident that i will be renewing my subscription in Nov 2008.
    Thanks for your patience in all the questions Marcos.

16. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Registered Member

Hi ESet,

Is there any update to this issue?

Thanks!

17. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Registered Member

Try changing the way OE responds to read receipts. In tool bar at top click on "Tools" "Options" and in the tab "Receipts" check (Never send a read receipt). We have had this at the winery for a long time to increase security.
    And, at the bottom it says, "Secure Receipts" you might also check "Never send a secure receipt" as well.

All it amounts to is it lets the sending party know that it was received by YOU. Now if the party is not known and it's checked automatically, or you click send anyway, then if it's a spamer, he's "Gotcha!"

18. Darth AkSarBen

Curtis, and all the others, let me respond to the OP and say that it is a VERY good thing that NOD32 blocks the respond to the request to read receipts, IF you have it so checked. One of the surest ways to get an email found out if it is "real" and "exists" is to flood it with mail and see if
    1.) The email gets responded to.
    2.) The email recipient clicks the "to be removed from this email, please click the link at the bottom". Which you should NEVER do. Just ignore it, or if you have spam assassin, add it to the blacklist. But never click on the link to get "off" this emailing. It is sure bet that they will now KNOW you are real and exist and this email can now be sold and circulated to any/all spammers out there in www land.

So, by choosing NEVER SEND A READ RECEIPT you do yourself a huge favor. Read the email in private. I sent myself an email with a return receipt request just a few moments ago from my dreamhost email server. I got the message and no errors were found. None popped up. I even tried to send myself a message with a return receipt and an attached "eicar2.zip" virus as the attachment. Since I can use my Outlook Express and Switch Accounts I simply sent it using one of my other email addresses/accounts. When I tried to send, NOD32 removed the message to the special virus deleted folder, and sent the message on, (the main text) with the return receipt, and when I switched to the other account, email downloaded and there was the "cleaned" email message, and it had no errors about not being able to send a receipt. And THATS the way I want it!! I don't want anyone being able to get a receipt from me just because they sent me an email. If they need a receipt, I'll hit my reply button and let them know I got the message, or give them a call. Phones work.. and are now REAL cheap rates! :D

My point it, if you manipulate your setting in Outlook Express you will never ever be plagued with any errors receiving email and you will have added some extra security to your system.

My 2 cents worth anyway. ;)

BTW I started building computers (IBM Compatibles) back in 1984 and have really tried to stay on top of security with functionality in recent times. Key word here is functionality. *S*

19. poutine

Thats all very well but a lot of the businesses i deal with daily like to get read reciepts from myself, if i turn it off they phone instead to clarify i have recieved thier mails, and im sure as hell not going to respond to each one i get manually.
    This issue is supposedly going to be fixed in the next update.

20. Darth AkSarBen

If one must send out a read receipt from your business, that is your security concern. However, for the majority of home and home office email users, read receipts pose a work around to spam security. If someone you don't know (spam) sends you an email with the "request return read receipt" checked, and you open it just to find out who it is from, or out of curiosity. Bang. Gotcha! And your AV can't protect you.

Most of the good people out there really should not enable "always send a read receipt" or "Notify me of read receipts requests", as it it simply a flaw in the way Outlook and Outlook Express have handled security issues with email. Cited are examples and reads from these sites:
    http://www.guard-privacy-and-online-security.com/free-antispam-blocker.html
    http://www.anonic.org/email-security.html
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,114738-page,2-c,spyware/article.html
    http://www.sans.org/top20/

Our company head sent down a policy memo specifically telling me to change all the computers email to the default of "Never send a read receipt" for their email clients. I've done so, and if some client, customer, vendor, etc had sent us an email with a return receipt, it was simply ignored. We try to respond to emails in a timely fashion.

21. poutine

Good explanation there ;) , but theres still no way an AV should of broken O.E in the way NOD32 V3 has done, its shameful really.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  22. Darth AkSarBen

I agree, Poutine, that all features of Outlook Express, or any other email program should not have had any of it's features compromised or ineffective. I just posted for all the countless home users that have let in spyware and malware this way and they didn't happen to think about it. I have fixed other peoples computers that were infiltrated with odds and ends of pop ups, junk, malware, and when I asked they said they sent receipts back to email requests, EVEN THOUGH they did not know the sender. On your case, it's customers/clients/business associates, but to these people I have helped clean their computers, it wasn't anyone known to them.

Was it this way with the older 2.7 versions as well?

23. poutine

Hi Darth AkSarBen
    NOD32 2.7 worked flawlessly with O.E , no problems whatsoever. I can only assume ESET must of thought Outlook Express wasnt used anymore or wasnt important enough to even test their new products with. To begin with back in Nov 2007 NOD32 V3 wouldnt even allow O.E to open without crashing it, how was that for product testing lol. ;)
    Lots of people still use O.E and always will do, its time ESET remembered that .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.