Outlook Express and embedded pictures

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chattycathy, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

This one has me stumped! I use Windows XP Professional with SP2 and Outlook Express 6, the free AVG 7.5.524, and Comodo Firewall Pro ver. 2.4.18.184. Ocassionally, I will get an email from my brother with "suppose to be" embedded images except they don't show as embedded images, they are only attachments. But, he sends the same email to my sister and she sees the pictures in the email as they are suppose to be. All three of us use the same internet provider and my sister uses Outlook Express 6 and AVG 7.5.524. Now comes the crazy part: I get emails with embedded images from other people and they show in the email just fine. I don't have to open the attachments to view the pictures on anyone's email except his and I'm the only one that has to do this. I don't see the Red X's, it's just that the pictures aren't embedded as they should be. It's just a few lines of text and then some spaces and then more lines of text. In fact, by looking at it, you can't tell where the pictures are suppose to be. If I want to see the pictures, I have to open each attachment and without pictures showing at the time of reading, some emails don't make sense especially the ones that have a lot of pictures and you can't tell which one goes where. If this was a problem with all of my email, I would think that it is my settings but it's only the ones that he sends. Also, if my sister received it like I do, then I would think the problem is on his end but as I stated earlier, her's works fine. Plus, it's not just one email. It's all that he sends with embedded pictures. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be causing this?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

hello cathy,

Do you have the below selection checked or un-checked ?

Outlook Express > Tools > Options > Security tab....Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail

3. chattycathy

Thanks for your response. It's unchecked. That's the crazy part of this. The embedded pictures works in all other email. It just doesn't work from him but other people gets it from him and they say it works.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you don't mind saying, is AOL the "internet provider" ?

5. chattycathy

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you but no, we don't use AOL.

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Are any spam filters being used as I saw this answer in another forum.

"As it turns out, the spam defender was replacing the image files with clear pixels."

7. chattycathy

Yes, I use ChoiceMail 3.1 as a spam filter. What makes it so hard as to where to look for the problem is that ALL other email with embedded images works fine as long as if they're not from him. ALL email from him with embedded images do not work. This makes it hard to pin point. I even had my sister to forward one of his that was working on hers to me and the images were as attachments only and it was working on hers when it left her computer. This is crazy!!!!!

8. chattycathy

Sorry everyone for wasting your time. I have just found out from my sister, she has been logging in and viewing his emails online instead of downloading them with an email program. After I found that out, she downloaded one with Outlook Express and it was like mine with the attachments only. Ok, does this mean that the problem is coming from his end or is it Outlook Express? And, if it is Outlook Express, why just his emails? I had asked her before about this problem but apparently she didn't understand what I was asking. Thanks everyone for your time!

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm not able to test from this workstation but if you care to have him send me an e-mail with a pic embedded, I can receive it later when I'm @ an excessable OE PC.

Do We know if others your brother sends these to have the same issue. So far you've commented concerning you and your sister....correct ?

I would ask your brother if he has Rich or Plain text selected as shown below.

formattype.gif

10. chattycathy

No, I don't know about anyone except the two I've mentioned, my sister and I. I'm sorry but I won't be able to get him to send you an email but thank you for the offer.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

My pleasure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.