Out of Ideas

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Chiana, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Chiana,

It is possible that another process may be terminating NOD32 - if you are feeling experimental and don't mind having to learn another piece of software, I'd suggest installing either a copy of System Safety Monitor and activating its Application Watching feature or Process Guard (the free version will do here) and adding NOD32 to its Protection list.

If something else is terminating NOD32, then SSM should identify and prompt you about it while PG will block it with an alert. Both should indicate which process is responsible and knowing this will help identify any conflicts on your system. If NOD32 is just shutting down by itself though, neither program will help (but at least we can rule out outside interference).

SSM is beta however and may cause problems elsewhere so I'd suggest trying it only if no-one else has further suggestions to make.

2. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

That's why i suggested renaming it to happy.exe :D

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

While that would rule out malware attempting to terminate anything named nod32*, it would not help if there was a conflict resulting in, say, Csrss.exe or the good Doctor Watson closing the scanner down. SSM/PG would provide more information if this was the case. ;)

4. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

OK, let's all fall back and punt for a bit here... First off, have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the scanning works at all? You may actually have some sort of conflict with one of your TSRs listed in your HJT log. Dunno, but it's the first thing I ever try when things go flaky. If all works, I'd start running through MSCONFIG and removing/adding programs until I could (possibly) duplicate the error and work from there.

Jack

5. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Today's downloadable 2.50.19 should fix this issue. ;)

6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

That sounds like good news to me rumpstah - care to elaborate a little on the cause?

7. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi anotherjack,

I am sorry to report that the Safe Mode idea was unsuccessful. Scanner is still appearing/disappearing.

Thanks for the suggestion, rumpstah.
    I hope it helped others but it didn't work here. o_O :(

But in the early hours of this morning an idea did strike me. As usual I bypass all the signposts - easy solution, obvious solution and head straight for difficult. This pc has a JuztReboot card installed. Apart from allowing installation of multiple OS, there is also a feature that enables you to restore back to a set point when things go haywire.

At this point I do not wish to restore to a previous point on this installation as there are a number of photo imaging packages that would need to be reinstalled and reconfigured. There is a certain member of the family who would not be a happy little camper if this happened. So on to Plan B...

One of the partitions we have created is a WinXP test partition. Due to work and lack of time we have not had the opportunity to install XP on this partition. This will be my next move. A clean install of XP, minimum drivers and then NOD32. If NOD runs fine, then it is obviously a conflict with one of the software packs installed, I suspect one of the imaging ones, but have no firm proof. But at least I'll have some kind of firm direction in which to proceed.

Will post again when all this is done...thanks to all who have replied and offered suggestions, you're all champions!

Regards

Chiana

8. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I'm back and the news is not good. After a little investigation, I discovered a games partition to test NOD32 on. This is a clean installation, Win XP Pro, SP2, no software loaded just OS and drivers. Scan window still quits after a few seconds.

The prime suspect now would be the Juzt Reboot card, but I don't understand why? Can anyone shed a little light on this one? This problem is now becoming spooky :eek: :ninja: .

To nail the culprit would involve removal of the Juzt Reboot card and the HDD, and installation of another HDD, install OS, drivers and NOD32. This weekend is not turning out the way I had hoped. I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Chiana

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Due to the way this card may work, have you considered backing off on some of the default settings on NOD32? I'm thinking scans of boot sectors, perhaps system memory (and I assume the canned In-depth analysis). The easy test is to deselect all setting and start adding them back into the mix a few at a time to see if problems pop up at a specific point. If they do, then back the group off and add each option singularly back on, it's a fairly quick way to test. Or you could use the option version of the bisection method (divide option sets in half, perform challenge test, I assume that one group has the problem, resplit that group, iterate the challenges on the resplit group to a final result - this assumes one item at fault, no interactions between options). Just a thought.

Blue

10. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I'm close to a solution. Here's what I tried.

On a second computer, with a JuztReboot card installed I:

1. Uninstalled NOD32 admin version (previous version)
    2. Installed NOD32 (normal version) - scan runs fine
    3. Uninstalled NOD32 (normal version)
    4. Installed NOD32 (admin version 2.5) - scan runs fine

This is then a problem exclusive to the first computer. In the previous version of NOD loaded on this pc, the following errors appeared when running a scan:

Error occured while scanning operating memory. Operating memory cannot be scanned (an error occurred while loading nod32m1.vxd file or during communication with the testing service).

A second error reported that the MBR was infected with a unknown TSR virus.

I had emailed Mark at Eset re the TSR virus and it was temporarily fixed in a previous version. The error resurfaced in the last version, prior to v2.5. I waited till v2.5 to see if this error was resolved, which it was.

But now I am wondering if this has anything to do with the MBR or partitioning. I still might install another HDD and see what eventuates.

Regards

Chiana

11. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi Blue,

I can't access the default settings on NOD32. I gather you mean the settings on the Control Centre profile, Setup tab. The windows closes before I can access anything.

Regards

Chiana

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

In principle, you can adjust these settings via direct editing of the registry, but I'd work through simpler paths for the moment since there are too many chances of a mis-step by that route.

Blue

13. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi Blue,

Editing the registry, I've only done that when I am absolutely sure what I am doing. A lot of damage can easily be done there, especially by me, because I normally try something then more often than not have lived to regret it ;)

Chiana

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Bumping for the third time :D

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If the scanner window closes in safe mode try disabling archives and email files.

16. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi Guys,

OK, I have achieved partial success. I know the source of the problem, the solution is beyond my skills.

The culprit is the JuztReboot card, specifically when I create a particular backup configuration, where the partition is split 50/50, half for the OS, software and data and the other half of the partition contains the backup.

For some reason this configuration ruffles NOD's feathers considerably and the resulting scanner box disappearing act is the result.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone can offer any kind of solution to this headache! Any Eset mods care to tackle this dilemma.

Thanks for any suggestions, I am at a loss, but I'm willing to try anything.o_O

Regards

Chiana

17. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

Now that I have uncovered the source of the disappearing scan window, I would be extremely grateful if Marcos or Happy Bytes would comment further.

Regards

Chiana

18. Firecat

~BUMP~

Someone, please comment....

Thanks,
    FC :)

19. rothko

rothko Registered Member

with time differences, i dont think not having a reply within 8 hrs is unreasonable...are you on commission with these bumps? ;)

20. Firecat

I just bump it, so that the bigger problems get attention first. :)

21. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

What version u use?

22. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi Stephanos G.,

Using NOD v2.50.19. But as I said before, this a problem between NOD and the Juzt Reboot card. Waiting to see if Marcos or Happy Bytes can offer any help.

Regards

Chiana

23. Marcos

Have you tried renaming nod32.exe and then running it?

24. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Hi Marcos,

Happy Bytes suggested renaming nod32.exe earlier in this thread. No luck. It's definitely a problem with the Juzt Reboot card. I installed another hdd and created multiple partitions. NOD ran beautifully with one partition, but not the second. It was split 50/50, NOD has issues with this configuration.

Can you help?

Regards

Chiana

25. Marcos

So without the card we are in a blind alley I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.