Other Anti-Malware software (Recopilation)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The problem is the choices in the first post. Proxomitron doesn't fit into the orange or red category completely, not the way they're set up. It would require an expert in all types of web content to utilize Proxomitron to its full potential. The problem is with the "can easily do serious damage to your system" line in the category description. Then again, a company whose business is webpage ads would consider Proxomitron to be dangerous, to their profits. Too bad for them.:p
    Proxomitron is one app I won't do without.

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Me neither. I use proxo with a modified version of Sidki's set. But I still think AdMunch is more newbie friendly and performs similar fuctions as Proxomitron.

3. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

He he, key words would be Admunch's "similar fuctions"!

Proxo can go very deep at its work, I mean you can almost deconstruct and rebuilt the all WWW if one have the time and inclinaison to do so...

Proxo can easily be used almost as is, out-of-the-box, and acheive about the same results as Admunch and many do, but that's those more powerful proxo filtering capabilities that make it apart and so beneficial/enjoyful to learn and use. You can also adjust the degree of filtering at will by pushing a single button (I'm using one of the available alternative GUIs). And one can also easily switch and play/experiment between completely different rulesets at times...

Proxo is even a free portable beast.
    Hell, what ask more!
    :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  4. guest

guest Guest

added: SOKX PRO http://sokxpro-en.blogspot.com/

It is a software application whose function is to protect the USB devices of the autorun.inf file, which active the file .exe, .com or .bat that contains viruses that infect both the USB device as a PC desktop or a laptop into which they are connected.

FIRST POST UPDATED!

5. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Is stuff like WOT, McAfee SiteAdvisor and Finjan SecureBrowsing outisde of this thread's scope? o_O

6. guest

guest Guest

added: McAfee SiteAdvisor

FIRST POST UPDATED!

I dont know why but i can not edit the first post, if an admin can help us

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I believe you have only five days in which to edit a post.

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

If you notice the AV screenshots thread, admin can update the post:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179976

So you might have to just keep adding posts, and highlighting with the appropriate colour (red=expert).

If you ask admin, they might update the thread for you.

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have to agree, this is going beyond 'Other Anti-Malware' IMO. I don't think it is a bad thing to show a list of Wilders Users Top Recommendations, but should that not be in a 'general' thread rather than Anti-Malware? I mean, the Proxomitron is not exactly Anti-Malware, more like Anti-Adware. The list speaks for itself. It is full of useful apps, but without a sticky, the title would lead someone searching to ignore it for say cleaners or ip blocking. I appreciate seeing this compositly, and like to know what others are using too. But without a sticky on this, I think it is now grown beyond it's scope.

On the other side of the coin though N8chavez, don't you think that rating anything in Wilders as Expert only is sort of a waste? Meaning, noone that I know personally even comes here. And if they did, they would already be past a noob point to some degree. I don't think any of this forum is noob-ville. IMO anyone that comes here is obviously concerned with security, but more than that are probing into areas of growth and learning, and one's level of experience does not grow at a common rate. For me, the more complicated the better to learn with. For others, KISS method is better. And IMO anyone wanting to try a program like DW or SSM has already made thier mind up they want something more than the OS gives. Installing any of these should carry the warning 'If you don't know what you are doing, you could bork your system. Tread lightly and backup'. Maybe the expert vs novice rating should be more like 'very complicated vs. not complicated'.

Either way, if there will be no sticky on this, I think it should be moved and/or titled to handle the content that it now provides. Just my opinion though.

Sul.

10. owen35ny

owen35ny Registered Member

Re: anti-Keyloggers don't agree with my PC :(

I installed the scrambler and then antilogger and both times my pc was crippled. Maybe a coincidence or maybe something to do with Vista UAC? Maybe Vista needs my admin password and couldn;t read it due to the paw scramblers. I don;t think it was a conicidence though sionce it happened with two diff passwrod protection tools right after restart.

11. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

MJ Registry Watcher - DtaskManager

Hi Folks,

Wouldn't MJ Registry Watcher be a fine example of a lightweight addition of excellence ?

Based mainly on Wilder's discussions I put MJ on recently and so far it simply warned me when the removeany.log (put into a system folder, strangely) was increased in size and when the pagefile.sys file increased. (Ok, the details are more for threads on the programs, only given to show that I could see how it is functioning.)

Thus I knew that I had a level of protection on Op Sys files with very little overhead. I may not even have known the program monitored that stuff when installed, based on the name "Registry Watcher" :) .

Also, I tend to think that anything involving sandboxes (and possibly virtualization) has to be separated .. they simply are not lightweight functions. Never have been, never will be. By their nature they will either have a lot of overhead and/or opportunities for mismanagement (e.g. unsaved changes) and potential clashes. They are techie-tools to be used with caution.

So far I have been very pleased with DtaskManager. For me it is hard to compare with AnVir (which has a free version and various pay versions) yet it seems to be the ultimate in simplicity and clarity in Task Manager enhancement. Click, click, click, it is running, and the limited task manager is gone, with no stability concern. It may take a place in the table above.

btw, I got to the thread precisely because I am interested .. today .. in smoothing out the lighter-weight additions to Firewall and Anti-virus. (Online Armor and Avira on one puter.) For me the thread's design is sensible, with a color-coded and updated initial post that feeds on the added info and corrections. While I appreciate very much the expert's desire for close to 100% accurate info I was a bit surprised at some of the thread response. As I see the initial post and follow-up thread as quite sensible and helpful. I hope the experts won't be upset with me for reviving the thread to current status !

Shalom,
    Steven Avery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.