osx and attempted numbers theft

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Paul Duffey, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Duffey

Paul Duffey Registered Member

I am running Windows XP Home edition with Norton Internet Security 2006 updated, Ad-Aware SE updated, and Spybot Search & Destroy updated and Advanced Spyware Removal updated. Despite that, When attempting to e-mail through MSN hotmail, I keep getting popups from Norton firewall saying my computer is attempting to send private information - my Social security number, my bank PIN number, and my credit card number to the Intenet. I always block them, but it is so frequent it prevents sending e-mail. The addresses it is attempting to send to are 1) hxxp://by101fd.bay101.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/doattach and 2) hxxp://oe.bay5.msnmail.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/hmdata/
    phduffey1 [ at ] msn.com/sendmsg/ .

This began 2/14/06. I ran NAV and it said the computer was infected with osx.Ingtana.A but Norton said it was blocked and could not remove it. I ran ASR and it removed two critical files both starting with Windows Media Player and something to do with report abort or delay. I ran NAV again and it again said it was infected with osx.Ingtana.A I also got two error messages error 5004.181 Norton Antivirus options are corrupt or missing and Reinstall NAV error 3005,201 I tried to reinstall NAV from the CD and it would not do a reinstall, but only add files or uninstall with a warning I could lose the remaining days of coverage by NAV, which is about 10 months. So I quit. I suspect it's a Trojan or tracking bot or cookie that is new. I need help! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2006
  2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

you might want to cancel your credit card, or any other personal belongings first.

3. metallicakid15

then download & install ewido, update, then run a full system.

4. metallicakid15

seems like the virus destroyed your antivirus :\

you might want to read this http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6041173.html

5. Paul Duffey

Paul Duffey Registered Member

After several more updates from NIS 2006, the popups have disappeared and so have the error messages. All seems to be working normally again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.