OSS Selctor boot problems (vista)

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by adrichardson, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrichardson

adrichardson Registered Member

OS Selctor boot problems (vista)

I recently decided to update DD 10 to the latest build (I installed it in Vista and ran the OS Selector installer). However, as soon as I rebooted it refused to boot into Vista, giving a disk read error every time. I ran the boot fix utility from the Vista CD, and a full checkdisk, both of which reported no boot problems. The drive was fully readable in XP (which still booted from OS Selector), and OS Selector detected Vista as a valid installed OS.

I reinstalled OS Selector, but still got the disk read error when I tried to boot into Vista. Fortunately I was able to boot into Vista after restoring the MBR via TrueImage, and uninstalled DD10 and OS Selector. However, on rebooting I still got an error (OS Selector attempted to load, then couldn't find any OS). I reinstalled OSS, then uninstalled via the boot CD, and was able to boot into Vista again after restoring the MBR.

I think a full manual uninstall would solve the problems, but I don't know how to go about it (I've deleted all of the bootwiz directories bar one, which is protected).

Every time I reinstall OSS I get the same disk read error from Vista (goes away if I restore the MBR, but this breaks OSS).

I'm also getting an MBR error 3 message when I boot without OSS installed, so I know there's leftovers that the uninstaller misses.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received! (Other than a full reformat, obviously!)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  2. paulhk88

paulhk88 Registered Member

I have one drive (160GB) with only Vista in partition 1. Partition 2 is data and partition 3 is empty - for XP (to be installed later). All partitions in NTFS. Installed DDS 10 in Vista - no problem. Installed OSS and re-booted - no OS recognised by OSS. Any ideas?

3. adrichardson

adrichardson Registered Member

If you disable OSS, does Vista boot? After my experiences, it looks like installing it in Vista is a bad idea, and you're better off just booting from the CD and installing it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.