OS SELECTOR/XP PRO BOOTLOADER HYBRID

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by cortez, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I added an XP PRO partition to a XP HOME machine (w/factory loaded software) and activated "OS SELECTOR" which allows me to choose between XP HOME and XP PRO but whichever partition I choose it sends me to XP's 'OS selection' loader with BOTH PARTITIONS to choose from. Thus I must choose TWICE in order to boot up windows! After clicking a OS partition it boots up fine. Luckily it does work except that XP PRO is listed first and is highlighted (Default OS). I deactivated /activated "OS SELECTOR" several times with the same HYBRID;) results. Obviously OS selector is redundant and unnecessary on my system so I deactivated it. To correct the order/default problem I entered "Msconfig"'s System Configeration Utility (type "msconfig" in the Run box) and "moved up" XP Home partition in the bootloader section of "BOOT.INI" and then set it as the default OS (two easy proceedures by highlighting and choosing "move up" then clicking on "set default"). Microsoft warns against altering the boot.ini settings without the advice of a Microsoft professional but I have the luxury of having a practice HHD just for DD10. In addition XP's bootloader is much faster than "OS SELECTOR". If one is only going to use 2 partitions of XP, DD10 is not even necessary, but that takes all the fun out of goofing around with DD10 and its endless varieties of unexpected outcomes.

2. cortez

cortez Registered Member

p.s. I can boot into both XP HOME and XP PRO using Windows loader even though they both contain the "BOOTWIZ" folder, AMUSING!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.