OS Selector, True Image, ReiserFS restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by branscha, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. branscha

branscha Guest

Hi,

I am using OS Selector 8.0 (build 912) and True Image 7.0 (build 584).
    I am trying to restore a ReiserFS partition. The restore seems to have succeeded, but the OS Selector does not recognize the partion anymore, so I cannot boot the partition.

I am a registered user, alas the registration info is on the machine that crashed (yes, in the future I will store it on paper).

I do not know how to proceed.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. Hans Zeta

Hans Zeta Guest

you should be able to boot your system with the Linux installation disk.
    Simply try to start a new installation, at one point you should be asked if you want to boot your system, then just select the reiserfs partition.
    I know that works in SuSE but I don't know if other distros behave the same.

4. branscha

branscha Guest

Solution
    --------
    Yes, that was the correct answer that solves my problem.
    I have a Debian installation, using lilo boot manager.

1. boot computer using CDROM.
    2. sudo mount -o dev /mnt/hda1
    3. sudo chroot /mnt/hda1 lilo
    4. Reboot computer, thats that!

One strange problem though, I had to modify the lilo.conf slightly because for some reason not yet known to me the boot manager tried to boot a partition too far.

Conclusion
    ----------
    I relied on Acronis for making backups and for having a stable reliable working environment. I never got a hint from Acronis on what to do. I lost considerable time. Finally I got an answer from a forum reader, thank you for this!.

I will put some effort in putting together a pure Linux based backup/recovery scheme. This will cost me some time and effort, but since I cannot rely on the Acronis software and support I will no longer use it.

5. Hans Zeta

Hans Zeta Registered Member

There is a solution that is entirely Linux based. I never tried it but you might want to take a look at it.
    Out of fairness to Acronis, I can only give you a good hint.
    Goto http://freshmeat.net/projects/
    and in the search field look for g4l

I wish Acronis would make a TI for Linux home users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.