OS Selector Question

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ctduffy, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctduffy

ctduffy Registered Member

I am very new to this tool but so far - it has been very straight-forward.

I installed CentOS, version 4.2 on a separate hard drive and during the installation - I selected NO Boot Loader figuring that installing GRUB will blow away my Windows XP boot loader in the MBR. The installation went great.

I then booted with the Acronis Boot CD and selected OS Selector. It correctly looked at all of the drives and listed the Linux mount points. I tried selecting the /boot mount point and followed the cues on OS Selector. At the end, it said it couldn't find the OS or something like that so I didn't complete the process. I also tried the root mount point /.

I am guessing that I should have gone with GRUB.

Does Acronis have some documentation to advise on how to install multiple OS's without them conflicting with each other?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Charlie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please take a look at this FAQ article describing where to install Linux boot loader.

Please also read the section 8.3 of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide. You can download the User's Guide from the Documentation section of our web site.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. ctduffy

Thanks for your reply but the doc is very incomplete

None of those documents provide any guidance on how to get boot selector to properly detect Linux. My installation of Linux 4.2 appears to be perfect, all file systems mount via linux rescue and GRUB can run each of the commands: root, kernel, and initrd. That tells me that all the pieces are in place.

My grub.conf file is:

# boot=/dev/sdc1
    default=0
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd2,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu
    title CentOS-4 i386 (2.6.9-22.ELsmp)
    root (hd2,0)
    kernel (hd2,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.9-22.ELsmp ro root=/dev/sdc12 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.9.22.ELsmp.img
    title CentOS-4 i386 (2.6.9-22.EL)
    root (hd2,0)
    kernel (hd2,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.9-22.EL ro root=/dev/sdc12 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.9.22.EL.img

I can't figure out why booting with Acronis OS Selector simply gives me a black screen with GRUB and hangs.

Fortunately, Windows XP boots perfectly since it is on the MBR of the first disk drive.

4. Acronis Support

Re: Thanks for your reply but the doc is very incomplete

Hello Charlie,

Please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report.txt fileto your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. ctduffy

Is there a bootable CD option?

My system doesn't have a floppy disk drive. This isn't all that unusual these days. Can you document how to create a bootable CD for this purpose?

6. ctduffy

I ran the report from Windows

I ran the report from Windows and replied with the attachment to support. It's funny that support never asked for this information before. Basic diagnostics are always a good thing and save a great deal of time.

7. Acronis Support

Re: I ran the report from Windows

Hello Charlie,

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send me a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

8. ctduffy

[Acronis #502926] GRUB Hard Disk Error

I have been going back and forth on this issue for quite some time so there are a number of these replies. The latest suggestion is to clobber the MBR on the first disk drive. This is different than the Acronis documentation for good reason. If you overwrite the MBR instead of installing on a separate disk drive or partition, you will lose the ability to boot Windows. :oops:

9. Acronis Support

Hello ctduffy,

We are very soory for the inconvenience.
    As I can see we have requested a refund for you.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.