OS Selector 10 How install Win98 from CD?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by lionman, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lionman

lionman Registered Member

I found Disk Director Suite 10 very intuitive and easy to use when it comes to partitioning. But OS Selector is driving me crazy o_O

I have Windows XP Pro on my 1st hard drive (40G). My 2nd HD is 300G with several partitions.

I put the Windows 98 into the CD-Rom drive, enabled it as the first boot sequence in the BIOS. The in OS Selector I set the 3rd partition of my 2nd hard drive as active (a 20 G partition). When I click on boot from floppy I get: "Acronis OS Selector was unable to load Boot from floppy A: operating system: the boot sector cannot not be read."

When I press control-alt-delete, the computer justs boots back into OS Selector.

On the properties for the Boot from floppy A:, Boot Configuration tab, it only gives me the options to boot from drives A or B. Is Window 98 CD not bootable? Who installs Operating Systems from floppies anymore? Why is there not an option to boot from CD? I wish OS Selector 10 was as easy to use as other Acronis products. I have read the manuel but am still confused. Please help!!!!!!!!o_O o_O o_O

Lionman

2. lionman

Just a follow up. I have a Windows 95 CD, Windows 98 Upgrade CD retail, a Dell Windows XP Home OEM CD, and a Windows XP Pro OEM CD. I get the boot from CD option in both XP CD's but not in Windows 95 or 98 CDs. Are they bootable?

Thanks, Lionman

3. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

No, they are NOT bootable. You need a floppy to begin the install of 95 or 98. Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ to get boot disks.

4. lionman

Thank you mrtee. One of the web pages at bootdisk.com said Windows 98 was bootable, but not for me. I set both my desktop & laptop to boot first from my CD in the bios. In both cases Windows XP Home & Pro booted but neither Windows 95 full nor Windows 98 Upgrade booted.

I have 2 hard drives, HD 1 is 40 Gigs with Win XP Pro, no other partition. The 2nd HD (300G) has 5 partitions. I want to install Windows 98 onto the 4th partition or I:\. I have 2 CD-Rom drives, D:\ and E:\ respectively.

I did try to use the Win98 boot floppy, was able to boot from the floppy then get to the Win 98 CD by typing in E:\setup (where E is the CD Rom drive). Win 98 graphics began, but during the process I get "Message SU0013. Set up cannot create files on your startup drive and cannot set up Windows 98. If you have HPSF or NTFS, you must create an MS-DOS boot partition. If you have LANtastic server or SuperStor compression, disable it before running set up." I do not get the option to install Win98 to the I:\ partition or any other partition in setup. I made the partition active in Disk Director 10. I do not know how else to do it.

I read the instructions in Disk Director 10 User Manuel section 8.2.2 Installing another Windows on a separate partiton, but it was not helpful or successful with me.

Any help? Step by step instructions would be helpful or a link to such instructions. Thanks again. Lionman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.