OS hanging & can't select XP - Help Pls

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by paul humphreys, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul humphreys

paul humphreys Registered Member

I've Just upgraded to DD10 and installed Operating System Selector, since then when I try to reboot I get the usual message "press esc or F6 etc.," to continue. Neither of the commands works and I can get nowhere!

My only way forward if to boot the system from a floppy with Windows 95 on it and use the command "fdisk /mbr", I can then boot into Windows XP. When I next reboot I am back where I started from!

Also I cannot boot from a CD so I cannot use the rescue panel on my XP installation disk to effect repairs.

Any help most appreciated.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello paul humphreys,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please Deactivate Acronis OS Selector by doing the following:
    - Run Acronis OS Selector from under Windows;
    - Choose the Tools->Deactivate OS Selector;
    - Reboot the Pc and see if the issue still persists.

If it does persit then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. faber

faber Registered Member

I'm facing the same problem here. I decided to evaluate your "OS selector" installing the demo version but during the startup your bootloader is hanging up and pressing any key is not producing any result. Only pressing F6 early during startup leave me boot into XP directly. Even if I Choose the Tools->Deactivate OS Selector there is no way to get rid of the problem...
    Could you please tell me how to restore my original configuration?

Best Regards

4. paul humphreys

Hi Faber & Acronis Support

I've tried all the options that "Support" suggested, to no avail! Have now formally requested proper support...Now awaiting on them.

Paul H

5. Acronis Support

Hello faber and Paul,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Please try to fix your hard drive's Master Boot Record as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If this does not help then please create Acronis Report as I have suggested in my previous post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected file to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

6. paul humphreys

[/QUOTE]

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko[/QUOTE]

Dear Kiril,

Acronis Nr. 479578

Had some requests for further info from Anton yesterday, but still awaiting a fix.

TIA - Paul Humphreys

7. Acronis Support

Hello Paul,

As I can see Anton has suggested you to Deactivate Acronis OS Selector. Please describe your current situation to him. He will certainly provide you with the further instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

8. paul humphreys

Dear Kiril - copy of email sent to Anton in response to his suggested fix.

Dear Anton,

In a previous email I explained that this does not work and I cannot boot
    from a cd because OS selector causes the system to hang!!!

I know and appreciate that you are trying to help me but very time with all
    products I have upgraded of your companies I have encountered
    problems....After a time paying money for buggy products becomes a little
    wearing.

Right Rant over! I will continue to await your advice on a resolution of my
    problem.

TIA - Paul Humphreys

9. paul humphreys

Problem now fixed!

For anyone who has a similar problem, (ie OSselector hanging system), you need to check that osselector.exe is not loading in startup programs...You can check this with msconfig.

In passing I'd make the comment to Acronis Support that when you uninstall an Acronis product an awful lot of items relating to that product do not get removed from your system....This needs addressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.