Oracle jre-7u4 - does it work for you ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Oracle says:-
    I made a directory called java in my home folder and extracted the .tar.gz there.
    Now with the 7u3 version there are no problems at all (see image), but the 7u4 version installed the same way is not working at all - not loading, errors in console. Have tried installing 7u4 to several locations
    incl. /usr/lib/jvm/xx and /opt/xx - same on my old laptop running Xubuntu 12.04; 7u4 just doesn't work.

Disturbing is also that when installing to /opt I saw the permissions set to owner=uucp; group=143. Boy oh boy ! I think 7u4 is buggy and/or problematic when installed to linux.
    (BTW. the 7u4 version is not a security update so 7u3 is still usable).

Kubuntu java.png

2. doomdog

doomdog Registered Member

The issue where the owner is set to uucp only shows up if you install the JDK from the .tar.gz file as root. If you install from RPM or as an unprivileged user, the permissions are correct.

The --same-owner flag is turned on by default for root. To install as root with the proper permissions, simply use:

Code:
    tar --no-same-owner -xvf  jdk-7u4-linux-x64.tar.gz

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation and flag doomdog, and welcome to Wilders. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.