Oracle/Google settlement talks fail, Java patent trial to start April 16

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Judge deals deathblow to Oracle in Google fight

Article

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

That makes me happy. The fact that this sets a legitimate precedent for Open APIs is really just nice to see. Long term technology will be better because of this, short term... **** oracle.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If only this were the end of the atrocious patent/copyright wars.

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

5. guest

guest Guest

The consequences might prove to be good, but the arguments used by Google were a mix of crap and BS.

6. Hungry Man

With all of your experience programming I'm sure I'll take your opinion seriously lol

But, really, no. This passing would have been awful and it isn't difficult to understand why patenting APIs that are open and inherent to the entire language would not only have immediate repercussions but also long term due to the precedent it would set.

7. guest

guest Guest

Refute this then. :p

But yeah, my programming experience is 0. Too lazy to deal with all those numbers and formulas.

8. Hungry Man

I don't care about Google's case or the points they made (on either side), only the outcome.

9. tgell

tgell Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

It would have been a legal nightmare.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thank you for the news :)

Now to hit Groklaw where the celebrations will be on!

11. guest

guest Guest

Let's see what will happen at the appeal.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'll feel sad only if "anyone" comes out of denial. But I think that the word has gone out to the faithful to do their best to put Google down however they can. And "anyone" certainly does that.

I'll also love to read how that other self-proclaimed authority, FM, spins this. FM wasn't much known earlier but now he's been totally exposed. Even the two companies that employed him as an "independent" sock puppet may do a rethink.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The same outcome, and that's assuming they keep their promise to appeal. Oracle never had much of a chance to begin with, and any different outcome would take years and millions of more dollars. The only thing they can hope for is statutory damage, and that's less than a million bucks. Insert fork, it's over.

14. guest

guest Guest

lol

What denial?

From where?

15. Hungry Man

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/05/google-wins-crucial-api-ruling-oracles-case-decimated/

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I understand that the decision is specific to the issue litigated so idiots are free to litigate copyright status of other apis.

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hmm...
    quoted by http://www.itproportal.com/2012/06/01/google-claims-victory-in-java-legal-dispute-with-oracle/

but then ...
    from http://www.slashgear.com/google-scores-victory-judge-rules-apis-not-copyrightable-01231168/

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This is FM on himself:
    "Out of the 700+ blog posts I've done so far (which as per today, June 1, 2012, have been read well over 5 million times (see the real-time counter, courtesy of Google, in the right-hand column) and been mentioned in articles that in my estimate have collectively been viewed many billions of times"

I wonder if he'll use that argument to placate his employer(s).

BTW, he's now turned his expert's eye to the Google versus Nokia/MSFT/Mosaid story.

But he does manage to question Alsup's competence and how he conducted of the trial:
    ... if Judge Alsup wasn't unsure of his own position on (un)copyrightability, he'd never have held a copyright trial that was almost entirely about the APIs. The Federal Circuit, which has more expertise in intellectual property than any single district court, is now going to look at this."

20. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Found this kind of interesting in the article.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.